Eagle1
04-14-2007, 10:37 PM
ALPINE ARCHERY
VANCOUVER ISLAND "HELLHOLE" 3 -D CHAMPIONSHIPS

HOSTED BY COWICHAN BOWMEN
June 2nd & 3rd, 2007

3044 DOUPE RD, DUNCAN,B.C.
VANCOUVER ISLAND
http://www.cowichanbowmen.com (http://www.cowichanbowmen.com)

Saturday: Walk On Start ; 2 rounds of 25 targets
Sunday:1 round of 25 targets [ possable shotgun start ]

SCORING: 1st arrow; 10 - 8 - 5 2nd arrow 4 - 3 - 2

***KEEPER TROPHIES FOR ALL CLASSES***

CLASSES:
Mens; Open, Bowhunter Unlimited, Bowhunter Limited, Recurve, Longbow
Ladies: Open, Traditional { longbow,recurve }
Juniors: Compound, Traditional and Cubs
Open crossbow class: OPEN TO ALL CROSSBOWS,ANY WEIGHT AND SIGHTING AID

SPONSORS:
Alpine Archery, Kings Outdoor World, Bowzone, Wild TV, PSE, Browning, Archery Research, 10 Point crossbows, Primo's Calls, Black Creek Packs, Doskosports, Bucky's Sports, Big Game Adventures Magazine, Lagoon Taxidermy, Classic Makings, Jim Shockey, West Coast Archery, G & H Outdoors, Morrel Targets, Ciblex 3D Targets,Doskosports Bow cases, Keystone Country Store, Plano Bow Cases, Tru Glo Sights, Ripcord Rests, Buckwear T - Shirts, James Trophies, John Ladouceur from Remax, Whitespot {Duncan}, Duncan Butcher, Dryco Rentals, Brad Luckhurst of Colorworks,Deluxe Wall Tents, Island Outfitters,Celestron Binoculars,Gum - O - Flage,

FOR ALL INFORMATION AND UPDATES: http://www.cowichanbowmen.com (http://www.cowichanbowmen.com) http://www.bowzone.ca (http://www.bowzone.ca)

OR CALL: Jim Bissenden {250} 701-8748

**There is limited (primitive) camping on site.

***Breakfast: both Saturday & Sunday, Pancakes & sausages, cooked to perfection by our JOP's. Tea and Coffee, apple & orange juice also.
*** Lunch: both days will be the standard shoot fair -- hotdogs, hambugers, cold drinks ,chips
*** Dinner: Saturday Night is a buffet of country cuisine plus HOMEMADE DESSERTS
DAIRY QUEEN treats will be available throughout the shoot.

Tickets will be pre - sold for Saturdays dinner: before May 25th [post marked if mailed] will be $ 12.00 adults, & 10.00 for children 10 and under
After May 25th [ when registering] $ 15.00 for Adults and $ 13.00 for children 10 and under.

Shoot Costs: Adult; $35.00/2 Days OR $20.00 Each day, Families; $75.00/ 2 DAYS, Juniors; $20.00/2 Days OR $12.00 Each day,
Cubs; FREE

DIPLAYS:
*** Terry Woodworth from Lagoon Taxidery will be set up for the weekend.
*** Chad Schierrmier, Pro staff for Primo's Calls, Will be flying in to shoot and will be set up for demo, so come try some calls and get some pointers
from the pro.
*** Come try some of the HOTTEST 2007 BOWS Alpine Archery, Kodiak, PSE, Browning, Archery Research, Hoyt, 10 Point X-Bows, and
Traditional Bows.

*** Fully stocked archery shop will be set up all weekend for your convience.***

Everyone and anyone, come out and test your shooting skills, lots and lots of door prizes, Compound bows, Traditional bows, Packs, Bow cases and much, much more. Go to the web sites to see the updates.

*** come bring your bows, find out your speed, kinetic energy, grains per inch, arrow weight

Contact us to pre-register at: http://www.cowichanbowmen.com OR Jim Bissenden [250] 701-8748

make cheques payable to: Cowichan Bowmen

There is a map on Cowichan Bowmen's site on how to get here, and there will be signs up so you (hopefully) won't get lost. http://www.cowichanbowmen.com (http://www.cowichanbowmen.com)

HOTELS:
Travelodge [250] 748-4311
Best Western [250] 748-2722
Village Green [250] 746-5126
All about 10 min. from shoot

CAMPGROUNDS:

To come

BowSitter
04-14-2007, 11:01 PM
Sounds like a winner, I know that I will be there!!:)

Bow Walker
04-15-2007, 06:55 AM
I'm a comin' 2 !!

Now you went and let the 'secret' out! How am I going to walk away with the prize(s) of my choice now, eh?

Bow Walker
04-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Here's a bump for the shoot!

walker(bandit)
04-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Is that all you guys have to talk about if so mabey i should dust off my bow and try for a ribon

Bow Walker
04-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Great! There will be a bunch of people there.

The Hermit
04-16-2007, 10:47 PM
I will try to make it up there too. Can't seem to get enough!

Eagle1
04-18-2007, 05:46 AM
Is that all you guys have to talk about if so mabey i should dust off my bow and try for a ribon

Ain't no ribbons at this shoot...........................

But there is a big trophy for each 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in each class.
All trophys are sponsered by local buisnesses.

Onesock
04-18-2007, 06:30 AM
What do you mean, BIGGEST shoot?

Bow Walker
04-18-2007, 08:07 AM
What do you mean, BIGGEST shoot?
Probably the biggest prize table on the Island. :eek:

Compound bows, trad. bows, Targets - both bag and 3D, bow cases, arrows for both style bows, and the usual assortment of top notch prizes that are always on the table.

Rumour has it the it is in the order of 8 - 10 K

Onesock
04-18-2007, 09:42 AM
I was hoping he meant they had the biggest targets!!!!

Eagle1
04-18-2007, 08:44 PM
I was hoping he meant they had the biggest targets!!!!

Don't worry, we will put the trad shooting stake in frount of the cubs so you won't miss........ Onesock LOLOLOL :biggrin:

Bring your best huntin storys and a big appitite.

greybark
04-18-2007, 08:53 PM
:lol: Hey Eagle 1 , Heck Onesock is already shooting uphill . Moving him in that close will increase the upwards angle .:lol: :lol: :lol:

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Eagle1
04-19-2007, 09:48 PM
:lol: Hey Eagle 1 , Heck Onesock is already shooting uphill . Moving him in that close will increase the upwards angle .:lol: :lol: :lol:

Okay, how about we give him his own shooting peg and he can put it as close as he likes, that way he won't be rototillering behiind the targets looking for his missed shots.

greybark
05-30-2007, 10:35 PM
8)Hey Eagle I , On a scale of 1 to 10 what do you rate the course as far as terrain is concerned .

Eagle1
05-30-2007, 10:37 PM
Course is finally all layed out, if I say so myself it is one of the most realistic courses on the Island, every target has some sort of real life scene to it. There is 27 shots and 75 plus targets were used to make up the shots.Some of our members went to extra lenghts to make it as realistic as posable. I hope you all turn up to shoot THE MOST REALISTIC 3 - D ON VANCOUVER ISLAND.

Eagle1
05-30-2007, 10:43 PM
8)Hey Eagle I , On a scale of 1 to 10 what do you rate the course as far as terrain is concerned .

SOME SPOTS A 1 SOME OTHER PLACES ABOUT A 6 OR 7 A LITTLE MUDDY AND A COUPLE OF HILLS. THE TRAIL IS WELL CLEANED AND THE HILLS HAVE STEPS CUT INTO THEM. IF I CAN MAKE IT AROUND YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO.

Eagle1
06-01-2007, 07:53 AM
It's Friday, June 1. Not Much Time Left To Come To One Off The Best Shoots On The Island.

Grab The Bow, Grab The Wife And Kids And Get Here For Saturday Morning To Shoot All Kinds Of North American Animals In Life Like Settings.

Bow Walker
06-01-2007, 08:56 AM
This is unbelievably dissapointing for me...........I won't be able to participate this year.:evil::cry:

Family matter. Darn it!!:cry:

Eagle1
06-02-2007, 02:05 AM
Man oh man you don't know what your missing.
Camo out the ying yang, about a dozen bow cases, bows compound and trad, almost a million dvd;s, and thats not including the other two tables loaded with local donations, 3 - D targets,hats T - shirts dinners and more.
Out side on the shooting field, Island Outfitters with Bowtech, Excalibur x - bows,Darton x - bow { does 374 fps at 165 # }Bucky's sport shop ,Alpine Bows, want to buy it we'll sell it, Ciblex targets { hugh polar bear } first time on Vancouver Island Big Shot 3 - D targets, shoot some of them on the course. Jim Hatch- PSE Archery,AR Archery. Primo's Calls.Scott from Bow Zone.The smell of cooking, moose,elk, salmon,lemon tarts, homemade cheese cakes,all made by Janis,Candice,Dawn and some other club ladies.Breakfast by Penni and the JOP kids.
If your not here shooting it you;ll just have to wait till the pics get put up on our web site. you don't know what your missing.

Bow Walker
06-02-2007, 08:39 AM
:cry::cry:Believe me - I'd be there if it were possible......

Allen50
06-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Hi to all you guys that missed the shoot today, was a great shoot, 9 out of 10 i would say, the shots were all very good placment, if your planning being there on sunday you better get there early, shoot will start at 8am meeting then shooting at 8:30am, see you there, and many prizes too,, good stuff.. later i'm going to shoot again on sunday, so much fun.. later,,,,,,

Eagle1
06-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Well it's all over but the crying, I'm crying cause I didn't even place, but in MBO Nathan Block from Big Shot Archery, { some of our new targets } went home to Coaldale Alberta with the gold and his sister { also Big Shot Archery } went home with the FBO gold. I shot with them on Sunday, they both sure are good shooters and very nice people to shoot and talk to. they said they would be back next year to our shoot with more people
Jim Hatch {PSE/ AR , Browning rep }had a good time, people at his booth all day { cause of the walk on start Sat }also wanted to see and shoot the rocket ship, PSE X - FORCE.
Chad { Primo's rep } had a great time and Scott from Bowzone/Wild TV had a great time and even did some filming.
We had 126 shooters and 100 of them stayed for diner.Stuffed themselfs silly, moose,elk,sweet and sour pork,BBQ salmon, fresh made diner rolls, all kinds of salads, homemade cheese cakes, lemon tarts cookies , and other goodies.
I heard nothing but good about the course lay out,it was a very challanging course to judge the distance and shoot and lots of cool scenes at each target.Draw prizes,draw prizes, draw prizes, and more draw prizes, five tables full and then some.
An overall very sucseful shoot. And a great time was had by all.

Bow Walker
06-04-2007, 09:12 AM
I spoke with my bro' regarding the shoot. He collaborates what Bill has said - nothing but good to say about it.

Oh yes, very challenging, he said, but in a good way. The scenes and shots were as advertised - both well laid out and realistic. The much feared "Hell Hole" was somewhat tamed by a lot of hard work and sweat. Someone had put in some more steps and fixed the inclines. It was still a hill, but at least it was manageable and at most it made for some interesting shots.

Personally I have only one complaint. I couldn't make the event:evil: Now I have to wait for next year.:icon_frow

Congratulations to the Cowichan Bowmen Club and to the "Ladies". All of whom can be proud of the successful event.

Eagle1
06-04-2007, 12:52 PM
The only thing I'm disappointed about is the X -bow class, there was only 2 people, yes only 2. It was a chance to make a bit of a statement for x - bows and only 2 people shot. Where were all the other ones that always go on about x - bows aren't allowed at shoots, here was your chance, you had lots of notice, posters were all over the province, even Alberta. The 2 shooters were locals that used to shoot longbow and compound at 3 - d's and hunt, but now are unable to pull the bow any more so they shoot x - bows and thought it was great to be able to shoot at a 3 - D again and had a great time. I didn't get their scores but I will try to find out. There was no waiting for them to shoot, they shot faster than most other shooters and it was no harder on the targets than some of us that shoot the fast arrows or heavy weights.Maybe next year.

bow guy
06-05-2007, 10:03 PM
The cowichan bowmen shoot was the best I have ever been to. Looks like they put a million hours into the shoot and for all you guys and gals that didn't com better get out there next year because I heard a rumor that it is going to be even bigger with 2 different coarses and a bigger prize table as well. I don't know how it could be any bigger. So you mainlanders should get your bow up and running and get over here next year and try the Hell Hole.

greybark
06-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Hey all . I would like to go , But with some health and age problems I have been told it would be out of the question . Perhapes some of the decline in partisipation is due to the "Hell Hole " designation .
:-DSeveral mainland clubs that were known for challenging terrain have modified their courses to a moderate level in order to encourage youngsters and maintain those older archers . By the way these courses were still as challenging with their "signature shots" before the changes.
:cry: One of the best attended 3-d shoots in the Prov was Merritt . Due to the extreme nature of the course attendence has dropped drastically to the extent that if they don`t smarten up and modify the course this event may be compromised .
The past two years TBBC Championships were successfully designed to accommodate wheeled access .
:) I fully realize the effort and pride involved in setting up a challenging course but we lose sight of the aims of a good course .
One of the younger workers on the Merrit shoot was proud that his course was a realistic hunting senario and rightly so , but more and more of us can do without the "Mtn Goat" aspects .
:-DI hope more of the clubs with extreme terrain courses take the initiatve to redesign their courses in order to gain and maintain the new and older archers .

Eagle1
06-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Well I don't know what kind of a 3 - D SHOOT you would like.
We had an older fellow{ 65 ish }shot both days, and he had not long had knee surgery and said he had no problem and his knee was doing just fine.One of our oldest members { 76 } had a triple by pass just over a year ago and he shot both days and said the course was just fine with him. I shot with 2 guys and their sons {7 - 9 } from Vancouver and neither kid complained about the course. 4 -5 younger girls { 7 - 12 } shot both days, no complaints. Maybe we need to make it golf course style and we could drive around in our golf carts, LOLOL
When you hunt is the area nice and flat and easy walking? Do you moose hunt or elk hunt?
We try to make the course as user friendly as possable with steps dug in most of the hills to make going up and down as easy as could be, as Bowwalker said { he has shot it } it was tamed to what it used to be.
Sorry we can't please everyone.

greybark
06-06-2007, 07:14 PM
8)OK Eagle 1 , It was very evident why the Merritt shoot attendance dropped . Why did yours ?
You mentioned the challenged archers that attended (good on them) but what about those such as myself who did not attend .
Yes I Moose and Elk hunt(To the best of my ability) . I have set up and done 3-d courses for over 23 years , with considerable success and know what consists of a good course . I also am aware of the "you can`t please everybody" thing .
This is ment to be constructive critisim and in no way takes away from your clubs efforts .
It sounds like the course was tamed a little . The course sounds great and I will try to be there next year .....
Cheers

Eagle1
06-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Constructive critissim taken. I've been doing archery and 3 - D courses for 35 years. We used to make all our own 3 - D targets, comercial ones were unavalable yet.
Our attendance didn't drop it grew, it was one of the biggest shoots on the Island with a million draw prizes.
What about you? sorry you didn't make it, don't know what you missed, hope you can next year.