PDA

View Full Version : Quad Insurance when your not covered

DoubleDD
05-13-2015, 01:22 PM
So recently I was headed out with my side x side. I was driving with my truck and trailer unit, the side x side was tied down on it with four good quality straps. I have been told a couple time's now that as long as the trailer unit is attached to the truck you are covered under the truck insurance. So I thought all was good not to mention I just purchased the new OVI liability insurance for my sidexside. I never thought I would need collision for my side x side considering I only drive it on trails that are older roads and in good shape. So apparently my two straps ripped under the pressure off a rough road and my side x side came off the trailer and rolled a couple time with pretty extensive damage to the side x side and my trucks tail gate. Because the side x side came of the trailer or out of the truck it is not covered under there collision. I hope if anybody has had any experience with insurance on crashes like this they could send some advise. Also if any body knows where to get aftermarket polaris parts for a midsize 800 please let me know.

Stroodle
05-13-2015, 01:55 PM
Unfortunately it is not covered by anything other than its own insurance. The fact that the trailer/truck is fully insured does not help in this situation. Hate to say it. Sorry to hear, but hopefully a quick repair.

Ferenc
05-13-2015, 02:07 PM
One thing to remember is on the straps if you have a flat deck trailer ensure your using the Rachet type tie downs as we got pulled over by DOT and he informed us about strapping Quads down ... If you have walls on your trailer you can use the pull type tie downs....that's according what he told us...it's all I use the Rachet style

russm86
05-13-2015, 02:14 PM
Yep, even with extra insurance just for the quad itself you have to watch whether or not it is covered during towing, sometimes it is an extra option not necessarily included.

Sofa King
05-13-2015, 02:31 PM
they definitely weren't "good quality" straps if they "ripped" simply driving down an fsr.
i would never use just straps anyway for a sxs.
we mounted a big eyebolt through the deck and the frame of the trailer that we connected the front and rear of the quad to, and that was just a quad.

SPEYMAN
05-13-2015, 03:08 PM
Your ORV is not covered by your ICBC vehicle insurance or by your homeowner insurance. They require separate or additional coverage. An ORV when on your trailer or truck is considered as cargo. Can you imagine what would have happened when your ORV came off your vehicle if it collided with another vehicle or person. Who advised you that your ICBC Insurance was valid?

ruger#1
05-13-2015, 03:16 PM
Spey. How much is cargo insurance, Or do you need another type of insurance. And Sofa King. Some of those straps coming from china are total crap. I always use Zap Straps to keep the ratchet closed. I also use 2" wide straps. Spaymen the reason I ask, Is because I have to pick up a lawn tractor. And would like a heads up ball park figure. Thanks

M.Dean
05-13-2015, 05:10 PM
Man oh Man! That's a guys worst nightmare! A good lesson by you, to all of us, buy the expensive tie downs, not the 39.95 ones!!! What year is your SxS? A buddy of mine fixed a wreak up last winter, far as I know he bought one just for the motor, but I'm not sure what year they are? A buddy and I took our quads up to Pink Mnt. a few years ago in his brand new "Toy Hauler"! Fold down back door, A/C, micro wave etc, made the trip up just fine, but on the way home when we tightened the quads down in the back, my buddy put all his weight on the quads well I tightened them down, worked good. But, about 10 K's from here we heard one hell'va bang from the trailer??? We stopped and opened the back door, and low and behold, his quad ripped the eye hooks right out of the floor, all 4 of them, then went half way through the checker plate wall, breaking all the paneling etc etc! Think a guy should really look at how well the eye hooks are fastened to the floor, a foot square steel plate bolted under neath the floor would have prevented this costly mishap! Also, I don't think he should have put all his weight on the quad well tieing it down, I'd bet that also put lots of pressure on the eyes. Let me know what year your SxS is and I check for parts.

goatdancer
05-13-2015, 05:11 PM
One thing to remember is on the straps if you have a flat deck trailer ensure your using the Rachet type tie downs as we got pulled over by DOT and he informed us about strapping Quads down ... If you have walls on your trailer you can use the pull type tie downs....that's according what he told us...it's all I use the Rachet style

The straps used to hold a boat transom on a trailer also work very well. They will not slip like the pull types. I have used them for years and have never had my quad slip or bounce around.

boxhitch
05-13-2015, 06:09 PM
Loads carried in/on trailers are subjected to stronger forces than most people realize
Vehicles are never tied down to any portion that is sprung by suspension , always to axles or wheels. May be a lesson there.

Sofa King
05-13-2015, 06:25 PM
Spey. How much is cargo insurance, Or do you need another type of insurance. And Sofa King. Some of those straps coming from china are total crap. I always use Zap Straps to keep the ratchet closed. I also use 2" wide straps. Spaymen the reason I ask, Is because I have to pick up a lawn tractor. And would like a heads up ball park figure. Thanks
k, but if you are blaming the total crap straps coming from china, then they wouldn't really be "quality" straps, now would they?

Iron Glove
05-13-2015, 08:08 PM

You don't need "cargo insurance", you need physical damage coverage, preferably "All Risks" on your quad.
ATV's are generally excluded from your Homeowners, lawn tractors are generally not so check your HO Policy, you might find it's covered.

Sofa King
05-13-2015, 08:11 PM
You don't need "cargo insurance", you need physical damage coverage, preferably "All Risks" on your quad.
ATV's are generally excluded from your Homeowners, lawn tractors are generally not so check your HO Policy, you might find it's covered.
so the physical damage coverage covers accidents, like rolling a quad?

Sitkaspruce
05-13-2015, 08:40 PM
You have to make sure your straps are load rated properly for the load. We were checked a couple years back and they wanted to check the straps and the load rating for them. I run 2.5" ratchet straps with 5000 lb. load rating.

Cheers

SS

Iron Glove
05-13-2015, 08:54 PM
so the physical damage coverage covers accidents, like rolling a quad?

Depends on what "level" of coverage you buy but yes, it can cover roll overs.
Contact someone like OASIS or Capri who handle a lot of ATV insurance.

DoubleDD
05-13-2015, 11:07 PM
2014 mid size 800 ranger Thanks for looking

ruger#1
05-14-2015, 01:04 PM

I haul a lot of maple firewood, Od lumber and car, truck parts. What kind of insurance do I need. To cover myself if something fly's off and there is damage to other parties. I can be charged with an insecure load.