PDA

View Full Version : Jerky In Smoker

delby
04-14-2007, 12:15 PM
hey anyone have any good recipes for making jerky ina smoker, have tried a few but all have failed need help. thanks

delby

elkster
04-25-2007, 12:05 AM
Go to the bradley smoker site, and use their receipe. I've used it a couple of times and it works o.k.

johnes50
04-26-2007, 09:23 AM
If you need more room you can do it in your oven at home. Just set the heat to 150 degrees and prop the door open with a spoon. Add liquid smoke to your cure and it'll taste smokey. John

Dirty
04-26-2007, 09:27 AM
The recipe out of the Luhr-Jense Big Chief recipe booklet is very good for Jerky. If you have the booklet check it out, or go to a sports shop and look at a booklet from one of their smokers. They may even be on the Luhr-Jensen website.

Dirty
04-26-2007, 09:34 AM
* Exported from MasterCook

“LITTLE CHIEF” BEEF AND GAME JERKY

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Smoking

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/3 c Sugar
1/4 c Salt
2 c Soy sauce
1 c Water
1 c Red wine
1/2 ts Onion powder
1/2 ts Garlic powder
1/2 ts Pepper
1/2 ts Tabasco sauce

Trim all fat from meat. Slice meat with the grain to
about 1/4“ to 1/2” thick. The meat slices nicely when
semi-frozen, or your butcher will slice it for you in
his machine. Place meat in the cool marinade and
leave overnight, or for no less than 8 hours.

Remove from brine and allow to air dry without
rinsing. Smoke in your smoker for 12 to 16 hours or
until jerky has dried out to your liking. Use your
favorite fuel for smoking.

Credit: Luhr-Jensen

For chips I use alder or hickory for salty smoke flavors, and I use cherry or apple for sweeter smoke flavors.

delby
04-26-2007, 11:02 AM
hey thanks guys, one question thou. i dont know anything about red wine what kind should i use.

del

johnes50
04-26-2007, 12:39 PM
The same one you like to drink would probably be a good choice.

Dirty
04-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Go to the liquor store and tell them you want a red wine to cook with. I am sure they could point you in the right direction.

Browningmirage
04-26-2007, 08:24 PM
i found this worked well, basically trim fat, do all that fun stuff, put in a brine of 1 part soya sauce, 1 part brown sugar, and 1 part sweet chile sauce, leave it in there for like 24 hours, and then dry it, its quite good. If you have a meat slicer, that will help to get nice thin strips, perfect for jerky making

delby
04-27-2007, 07:11 AM
hey guys thanks for all the great info, one more question when u put the wood chips in how many pans do u use and for how long dio u smoke the jerky for. thanks

del

3kills
04-27-2007, 07:22 AM
*Trim all fat from meat. Slice meat with the grain to
about 1/4“ to 1/2” thick. The meat slices nicely when
semi-frozen, or your butcher will slice it for you in
his machine. .

ya i have never been able to slice it in a machine...when i was going to school we made alot of jerky like so much u got sick of makin it ....it was fun at first but dam did it suck lol....and we never used a slicer always by hand always fresh..i found fresh was actaully easier to slice though then frozen.....