PDA

View Full Version : Fishin the Shuswap

Mulie_Hunter
12-02-2004, 07:30 PM
Well nobody believes me but there are rainbows in Shuswap Lake and I do have pictures to prove it! The secret is "Downriggers" I spent as much a 5 days on the lake before and the fishing is crazy in the morning and in the evening. The biggest rainbow I've ever seen come out of the lake is 23lbs,no I didn't catch it! The biggest rainbow I've ever caught was 8.5 lbs and it was out of the Shuswap. My first Trip out on Shuswap lake this year is planned to be late march and it will be a blast there's elk up the anstey arm and in october you can hear them bugling. there are also Grizzly up on the hunukwa river during the salmon run. And there's the odd moose as well I 've seen both whitetail and Mule deer from the boat. Its the only thing to do when hunting season is closed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/12141987/pics/Monashee.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/12141987/pics/Rainbow7.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/12141987/pics/Shuswapmap.gif

Kirby
12-12-2004, 07:53 PM
There are some rainbows, but like you said down riggers, I remeber sitting on a dock(with a nice supply of beer) for a day, and catching 38 squaw fish. If you ain't going deep, you need to go with river mouths.

Kirby

bone-collector
12-12-2004, 08:41 PM
we need to get you into the park mulie, after those bows I showed you pics of on my buddies outfitter website :smile:

Mulie_Hunter
12-12-2004, 09:05 PM
Those rainbows that your buddy is catching in the park are huge but I've heard bad stories that Ootsa,Whitesail, Eutsak,Tetachuck and Knewstubb can blow up bad and in a hurry, but they are just stories and I'll try anything once (Ruff water can be fun as long as you've got a boat that can handle it ). Hey Kirby where were you fishing on the Shuswap?

bone-collector
12-13-2004, 09:48 AM
any big lake can blow up in a hurry , try ocean fishing out at princess royal islands :lol: 14 foot swells :lol:

you just have to know your boats limits and have a escape route to shore if it gets real bad is all , hell francious gets so nasty in early winter that even the ferry has troubles at times bucking the waves

huntersdad
12-13-2004, 11:21 AM
They dont call me "PUKE" for nothing...
I hate swells!!! swells are evil things... 10 miles of the west coast of Van Isle
there is a large collection of breakfasts and lunches. :redface:

Mulie_Hunter
12-13-2004, 12:39 PM
The biggest water I've been in with my boat are about 6 foot , Gotta love those 350 chevs. Francious is one of those lakes that is never calm it's got a constant 2 foot chop on it. 14 foot water, Sounds like a hell hole too me.

Dirty
12-13-2004, 12:41 PM
Hey Mulie Hunter, what do you use for a lure? When I was a kid my cousins lived in Blind Bay and we went fishing and used pink ladies to get the lure down and an imitation plug. My cousin hooked a monster that wouldn't fit in the net and consequently got off. There really is some monsters in there.

Mulie_Hunter
12-13-2004, 12:56 PM
I use salmon lures, Gibbs F.S.T orange and chrome and Gibbs stewart half brass half chrome, I've heard of using hoochies but I've never had any luck with them, I like fishing quite aways up the lake to the anstey arm and the 4 mile creek area seen a guy pull up a rainbow that I found out later was 13.5lbs. I had a chinook spawner on up there once but it snapped my 15 pound test like3 a twig. I haven't fished for Char much they don't fight any way. :lol:

bone-collector
12-13-2004, 01:05 PM
14 foot swells = 300 pound halibut :wink: go were no man dares and yee shall find the big fishies :lol:

on the brighter side we have fished that area with a 18 foot boat on several occations with no problems other than running short of beer 2 days early :lol:

MattB
12-13-2004, 05:45 PM
I fished the shuswap a lot when i was younger. We always fished up past Albas, caught some good rainbows and one big chinook. There are some big trout in that lake!

Mulie_Hunter
12-14-2004, 05:31 PM
I have fished up by Albas before, never caught much up there but I usually hit a storm every time I go up the Seymour arm. I don't know if I have Bad luck or the Seymour arm is just storm prone, that is Beautiful country up that part of the lake though. The fishing seems to be the best right in the narrows,or up the Anstey Arm. If any body is ever on the lake I'll post a Pic of my boat. So if you see it come on over I'm always in it. It's a sweet fishing boat, A gas guzzler but all boats are. :lol: Hey, good code Bonez "Go where no man dares and yee will find big fishies" :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v623/12141987/pics/TheSerendipity0014.jpg

palmer
12-17-2004, 08:45 PM
All this talk makes me want to crank up the outboard and get fishing...but then again...it is a little cold on the lake right now...HAHA... maybe wait for spring

Marc
12-17-2004, 08:51 PM
I'm heading out soon for some more prawns and crab. Just picked up 3 prawn and two more crab traps for me and a buddy of mine. Will be setting things up getting ready to go as I'm officially on holidays until the 29th of Dec. Thinking of doing some flounder fishing too. I've never tried it on this coast so I'm not quite sure what to expect.

Marc.

Salty
12-17-2004, 09:02 PM
Marc for flounder/sole up this way I get them on sandy bottom areas with tiny 'buzz bombs'. I've heard jigging clams and other bait works too. Stay on the bottom. They're not big but man are they good eating........

bone-collector
12-18-2004, 09:53 AM
ok Marc , here is a few tricks for them little beggers , 1- follow saltys advice for the bottom layout , get some of the smallest treble hooks you can find in a sport shop, use bacon peices/ham or any tiny meat (even little power baits willwork) , put a weight about 6" above the hook, let her to the bottom until wait hits then slowly jig it about 6-10" and use a realy light rod or even a ice fishing rod to get a good fight out of them, there a blast .

another good spot to fish for them is close to a marina or a little cove were alot of guys clean fish and crabs etc , they flourish in those enviroments , we had a blast in kitimat and kemano catching them right off the docks in about 20 feet of water

if you get realy bored and want to have some fun, get a 5/0 hook and some stew meat in smaller peices, and go crab fishing , just let it sit on the bottom , keep your line fairly straight so you can see movment , once that line starts moving yank it hard and set the hook in the crabs claw :lol: but remember your in the ocean so octopus and starfish are there as well :lol:

another wintery type fishing that you can do that is a real blast is go herring fishing , not sure when they spawn down there but thats a blast as well, with a 6-8 hook herring rig (catch all your bait for the next year for free :idea: )

dam I miss the coast :cry:

Salty
12-20-2004, 05:44 PM
Well looks like we royally hijacked this thread :lol: :oops:

On the crabs Bones, your snooked on that one now. No hooks or spears for crabs anymore. Ya life's pretty good on the coast. Mind you I sure miss interior trout fishing. Life's funny eh........

Mulie_Hunter
12-20-2004, 06:41 PM
I wouldn't give up big rainbows for nothin, Salmon are fun but I'm preferal to fresh water angling.

Kirby
12-20-2004, 10:18 PM
Depends on what I am doing out there, I am often on the Salmon arm, and fish the feeder creeks that come in, if I'm not at my buddies cabin, I am at Scotch Creek, and then I will fish the drop offs around Copper Island.

Kirby

MB_Boy
12-21-2004, 09:58 AM
I'm heading out soon for some more prawns and crab. Just picked up 3 prawn and two more crab traps for me and a buddy of mine.

Marc....good luck out there. I'll take some pics of our prawning adventures up in Howe Sound. GOing to be up on Anvil Island from about the 27th right through to the 2nd. We'll certainly be throwing down plenty of traps for both prawns and crabs. The bottom fishing is always fun....where we fish along Gambier Island there tends to be alot more Ling Cod, Sea Perch etc...tends to be a little bit too rocky for flounder, but they all make for a fun afternoon. We have yanked up some big Ling Cod around there (can't keep them), but they provide a few hours of entertainment as they will bite on anything. Enjoy your time off and happy holidays!!

Scott

Mulie_Hunter
12-22-2004, 12:23 PM
I have never done much fishing on the main arm, We usually put in, at Sicamous and head up to the narrows we'll fish and sleep there for the first night and then, the next morning depending what time of the Year it is well go up either the Seymour or the Anstey arm. The fishing doesn't usually get very good until you get up to the end of the arms. Broken point on the Anstey Arm is a hot spot for rainbows in the spring, but at the mouth of the Seymour river up the Seymour arm there are some huge fish. I went down the Main arm once and I found nothing but Cabins, didn't like that so I left. Early in the year in March Murdoch point just outsde of Sicamous can Produce , but if there's nothing there you can usually head over to the rock face beside hermits cove and find the fishies there.

All this talk makes me want to go and dewinterize the boat and get out the lake and burn some fuel. :lol: