PDA

View Full Version : Sheep Hunting

BCHunter
12-13-2003, 06:14 PM
who here is hunting Sheep next year?

renegade
12-14-2003, 12:21 PM
What doyou have to do as a B.C. resident to hunt sheep? Dall's Stone's or Bighorn..... Do you have draws for all hunting or can you hunt during a general season? I Know about the special LEH but not much else. Your province is divided into regions each with it's own rules and seasons.....any help appreciated.

Rene

bone-collector
12-14-2003, 12:42 PM
sheep is mostly LEH draws in BC with a few spots way up north open I beleive

BCHunter
12-14-2003, 03:16 PM
in different regions we have a Full Curl Ram minium size and a Mature Curl Ram minium size.....

renegade
12-14-2003, 09:11 PM
Having size limits is excellent. I'm just curious if I lived there could I have reasonable expectations to be able to hunt sheep somewhere in the province. I'd love to hunt sheep but it is cost prohibitive for me being a non-res in eastern Canada. I am not sure I will ever live in a Western province but it would sure suit my lifestyle of fishing, hunting and sledding.

Rene

Marc
12-15-2003, 10:39 AM
Hey Renegade if you look on the site under Web links you’ll find this link under the hunting / Wildlife information for the BC hunting and trapping regulations for all of BC. There is info on non-resident hunting and the LEH draws as well.

http://wlapwww.gov.bc.ca/fw/wild/synopsis.htm

renegade
12-15-2003, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the link. I notice that the web site doesn't discuss big game accompanied hunts which can be found in the hunting and trapping synopsis. Until I actually move there this would be my only avenue to hunt in Alberta or B.C. Even the synopsis doesn't go into much detail but it is there. I can understand some apprehension about this loophole from guides and outfitters but I'm sure the Regional offices would put a stop or limit the entry if they thought it was accounting for a significant amount of harvested animals. I doubt that sheep or goats could be hunted under a permit to accompany but I would love to hunt elk or mulies there. Western hunters could come here to hunt on their own but I don't see why you would want to unless you like the challenge of hunting new and different country.

Rene

bone-collector
12-15-2003, 09:52 PM
the permits are designed to allow a good friend (being a resident of canada but NOT BC) to hunt here with you ar a imediate relative worldwide ex-mother/father/son etc

you may only get a permit for animals that have NO leh draws in the specific area wanted to hunt, seeing sheep are mostly LEH or have LEH draws for them they are off limits , moose is off limits in 90% of the proince exept up past bell 2 as far as I know , most permits are for deer or black bear , wolf ,caribou , but caribou to is quite a ways up north :D

bigweatherby
07-04-2005, 01:57 PM
I have a LEH for Sheep in Atlin. Never hunted there before. Any advice, access, locations etc. would be much appreciated.

BCrams
07-05-2005, 11:35 AM
Weatherby -

You mean to say you put in for a sheep draw without even researching the area FIRST and finding out where you are going to go, how you are going to accses the area etc etc before you put in for the draw ????? You get the draw and now you're in a scramble to get information ????? Slightly backwards if you ask me !!!

What zone did you get the draw for??

Province wide success rate on sheep is usually around 7-10 percent including the draw areas.

J_T
07-05-2005, 12:21 PM
BCRams,

Could be, our friend Weatherby has found the key to success in the LEH draw. Pretend you don't know the area, don't worry if you get it etc. Figure it out later. Kind of like a real lottery. Instead of us who make plans on a wish.

JT

BCrams
07-05-2005, 12:37 PM
could be !!

butcher
07-05-2005, 07:48 PM
Bone Collector has been smoking crack. You can hunt sheep in BC on a general tag in the Kootenays(Rocky mtn.bighorn) or Fraser River(California bighorn) or Spences Bridge(Rocky mtn. Bighorn). You can hunt Stone sheep in region 6&7 during a general open season as well. Some are indeed LEH only like Spatzizi or Edziza but there are tons of sheep hunting opportunities if a fella wants them.

Fred
07-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Not very nice talking about a guy like that when he can't defend himself. Fred

butcher
07-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Oh well.......

3kills
07-08-2005, 05:08 AM
if u read his post it says most sheep hunting and that he thinks...sounds like to me he doesnt sheep hunts so he doesnt have tons of info....bcrams lots of people apply for draws in areas they never hunted before its part of the excitement....there isnt to many that i would put in for though....

gpoole
08-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Not all sheep hunting even in southern BC is LEH. There is an open season in 3-17, 3-31 and 3-32 for example. True it is only for full curl or mature rams but at least we can play the game.

youngfellla
08-15-2005, 11:36 PM
Hey, weatherby - If you haven't already left for your sheep hunt yet, I know a few places, depending on your zone. If you're in Zone D, Either drive to Atlin and then north-east to Surprise Lake, there are a number of trails back there from the gold mining days. Stay to the south of Surprise Lake and it will take you to Weir Mount. and the ranges around it. The terrain is not bad, elev. around 6000 feet. You can also take the Fourth Of July Road, about 20 k north of Atlin and it will take you around the north of Surprise lake, back to Gladys Lake. From this road you can get to Four Crown Mountain, another good spot. Check out these trails on your map. If you're in the zone further north, fly into Primrose Lake and walk over to Silt Lake. I have seen three good rams taken from that area from friends of mine. That is, if you want to pay for the plane. Also, if you are driving, when you get to the turnoff to go south to Atlin, look to the mountain range to your left, lots of sheep up there. I will be leaving for Atlin in three days for my Sheep hunt, we are taking the quads, where I am going you can ride right to the top ( how's that for hard work, eh!)