PDA

View Full Version : Well I finally did it...

Johnnybear
04-10-2007, 06:22 PM
My wife and kid's recently got bows for birthdays etc. and are getting into traditional archery. I was lagging behind for a month or so and broke down and bought a Martin X-200 recurve left hand 40# @ 28" to get started with. I bought a 3 Rivers wooden arrow test kit and I'm in the process of finding out what stiffness and weight of arrow works best with the bow.

I used to make cheap homemade bows and shot fiberglass bows when I was a kid and this recent purchase has rekindled my childhood memories.

I'm just planning to shoot targets and get my form down again etc. for the this year and look at getting something heavier next year and maybe try some hunting when I'm comfortable with my shooting.

Anyway I'm really enjoying it.

BowSitter
04-10-2007, 09:35 PM
Welcome back to the world of archery!!
You should take the family out to a 3-D shoot.
They are a blast and a great way to spend the day with your family.
The next 3-D shoot is in Port Alberni on the 22nd.:)

swamper
04-10-2007, 09:49 PM
As Bowsitter says, 3-D is a great way to spend the day with the family.

But you better be prepared to join 3-D's anonymous as it is very addictive.

Johnnybear
04-10-2007, 10:02 PM
How do the 3-D shoots work? Do they have a beginner group etc.? I understand that the traditional and compounds are separate is this true?
We have been up to the Nanaimo range a couple of times just to try it out on some real targets but mostly just been wondering the forest stump shooting and stuff.

Bow Walker
04-11-2007, 09:23 AM
As mentioned, 3D's are the best way to spend quality time together - and to sharpen your skills.

Traditional shooters have their own pegs, from which they shoot at the targets. Traditional cubs and compound cubs also have their own peg.

3D's are almost always unknown distances - usually ranging somewhere between 15 and 40 yards. You have to guess the yardage and take your best shot at the 'kill zone'.

Yes, 3D's are set up to be as real to hunting as can be. Great practice and it makes for a lot of interest.

Nanaimo has a great 'bag' target course that is in the woods to the left side of the parking lot (as you drive in), the distances are not excessive and the targets are easily accessible. The course is open all day - any day.

Johnnybear
04-11-2007, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the info BW. My business is real close to the fish and game club so I think I'll take advantage of the daylight and start praticing after work. I go up there alot to practice with my muzzleloaders but now I have something quieter to throw into the mix. Great stuff.

3kills
04-11-2007, 04:45 PM
congrats on gettin ur first bow i too just got my first bow...but its a compound and i flung a few arrows to day in the yard and alls i can say is i need practise lol but it will be funny honning my skills

The Hermit
04-11-2007, 04:52 PM
You guys are certainly welcome to come around to my place for the fun shoot and burgers evening. Saturday the 5th of May