PDA

View Full Version : Best Coyote Calls

Ridge-Runner
12-01-2004, 08:00 AM
I was wondering what are the best predator calls for coyotes that work best or are recommended for the interior of BC. What make and models are prefered, and are there any to stay away from?

Thanks RR

Amphibious
12-01-2004, 11:02 AM
I bought a Screery Northern Predator kit - love it, easy to use and sounds way to real.

todbartell
12-01-2004, 01:14 PM
Yeah I would agree with Amphibious, the Sceery calls sound real good. I have also had good luck with a Wayne Carlton mouth diaphragm call. Anything that sounds like a wounded rabbit in distress will call in a hungry coyote.

Don't forget a howler call for locating them. I have actually just about gotten run over by a coyote when I howled once, he came on me so hard and fast I managed to find a way to screw up the shot. :D

bone-collector
12-01-2004, 02:39 PM
hmm I remember a moose trying to run you over as well and some ghosts in the grass attacking anphib ...... :roll: :lol: :lol:

Kirby
12-08-2004, 10:57 PM
where in the interior are you? If your around Kamloops area, let me know, I have several good yote areas, and looking for a yote partner this winter.

As for calls, Check out http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm

Kirby

TomTalker
12-09-2004, 11:59 PM
Hey RR! First I haven't been to interior BC but I do spend a heap of time with calls. Making them and tuning them likely even more than blowing them in the field. Also have a pretty good collection started of custom made calls from all over from swaps etc. Antler, horn and all kinds of different woods both exotic and domestic. Gets to be a bit of an adiction.
Your weather gets cold so the closed reed types like Knight and Hale, Olt, Lohman and a dozen other brands including the customs will freeze up on you and quit but not before they go a wierd pitch and blow your set up. If you have to scrape the windshield before you head out hunting don't take your closed reed calls.
All closed reed calls have one thing in common whether they are plastic injected cheap calls or a $100 custom from some unheard of root burl. They all use the same reed made by the same company. JC Products. Yes I can take my 1960's era Olt 33 and my $85 US Slydog Classic Limited Edition Elk Antler, push the reeds out and they are identical and will interchange. JC Products does now make a double reed cartridge and a heavier gauge reed for Jacks. None the less all are the same from one make of call to another. Some fine tuning can be done by tweeking the angle of the blades with a razor blade apart from that only the resonance of the material and the shape of the sound chamber will make any one of them sound different than the other. You can buy them in bulk!
Open reed calls don't freeze up as the reed is right inside your mouth. These cals can be much louder too for long range calling and one tuned for a coarse Jack/Snowshoe can double as a howler if it is a single reed. Excellent howles can be achieved with a call only a few inches long. The double reeds are too raspy for a howl but can do the finest of pup yelps.
Where you place your lips will control volume and pitch so you can go from loud raspy squeals to muffled struggle and back to a howl or a yelp without you hand ever being more than four inches away from the pistol grip of you rifle. Same call can do deer distress bleats with a little practice
Smaller calls can do howls but the Horn rules the stage here. Cow or buffalo horn makes the finest sounding howlers. On the Call Making forums I vivit the plastic Quaker Boy and the Sceery are the subject of quite a few jokes. Never tried the Sceery but the Quaker Boy is totaly a joke although I did kill a coyote with one, Lots of guys use a howler in conjunction with an electronic with good success. These make beautiful calls both to the eye and ear.
My only experience with diaphrams has been calling turkeys but I did play around with making some serious pup distress sounds way back. They do it very well and with your hands free.
All you need is a jack knife a broom handle and a No Tresspassing sign to make your own open reed. Making your own and calling in a varmint is very rewarding /tt