PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - Halibut fishing tips!

Blktail
04-08-2007, 09:05 PM
I want to try halibut fishing for the first time this year. I would appreciate any tips you have for location, gear, bait and preferred fishing style.

Will it be worth trying off D'Arcy Island - Island View Beach?

You guys are full of awesome hunting advice, so I figure I can't go wrong here because I know most of you are fishing when you aren't hunting.:lol:

Soup
04-09-2007, 12:35 AM
The best advise I can give you, is to send your line down to the bottom!

Just kidding...I don't have a lot of experience, but I have caught them on the west coast of V.I. and Q.C.I. The one thing that comes to mind, is that if you do not have action within 5 minutes or so, move on to a new location...Halibut are not picky eaters. They say salmon guts and octopus are the best baits...what I do like about octopus is that it stays on the hook forever. The large Berkley power baits work awesome and I have had good success with the spinnows as well (it helps to add bait to the spinnow) Another tactic that I have not tried yet, but hear it is deadly, is to send down a bucket of frozen guts on an anchor line for atractant.

Another thing, I have found these fish in water ranging from 30ft to 300ft and oddly enough the biggest fish I have caught were in the shallowest water...just my own experience.

It does seem that baits and lures are a matter of personal choice and are as varied in opinion as say the best all around hunting rifle...:roll:

Good luck!

steel_ram
04-09-2007, 07:31 AM
A few guys use salmon bellies for bait, not sure of the laegality of that. Before everyone and their dog started halibut fishing, guys use to catch salmon grilse for bait. Definately a no-no these days.

Find a bit of a underwater hill with a valley going up it. The fish seem to follow these draws.

Spokerider
04-09-2007, 12:19 PM
If you anchor, do so in slack or slow current as it can be dangerous. Research the different anchoring techniques if you're new to anchoring.

Keep the bait on / close to the bottom........

Get a harpoon, get a "shark hook", don't bring a fish over 50 lbs in the boat until well "subdued", they can really thrash about in the boat. When in, hog tie'em as they can't thrash when tied in this manner.

Byson
04-09-2007, 05:30 PM
when you set the hook in the mouth you lift the rod up and real it down to the water than lift and real, keep the head of the hali up don't let him turn it can be tuff work try not to let the hali's head out of the water i have seen so many guys loose fish be ready with a gaft or a harpoon i like to use salmon bellys and depth around 360 feet good luck

Creeping Death
04-09-2007, 06:34 PM
A few guys use salmon bellies for bait, not sure of the laegality of that. Before everyone and their dog started halibut fishing, guys use to catch salmon grilse for bait. Definately a no-no these days.

Find a bit of a underwater hill with a valley going up it. The fish seem to follow these draws.

there is nothing illegal about useing salmon bellies...but it would be my second choice. Octopus is the best and depending on the time of year like right now herring will out fish everything as the halibut are feasting on spawning herring.

Blktail
04-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Excellent advice guys! I am learning lots.

Browningmirage
04-09-2007, 09:17 PM
We like to let them munch on the bait for a little while. Using pieces of salmon and or any other fish is legal (so i have been told by 3 or 4 fish cops) as long as it is accounted for in your limit (ie if you catch fresh bait that day, the carcass has to be in your possesion).

It takes some time to get used to not setting the hook on the first bite, if you find that they arent staying around when you let them munch, i have found that letting em have it on the first bite works (more exception than rule for us). ive heard of people getting em in shallow water, but i just am not comfy for flatties in anything less than 250 (i do fish shallow for em sometimes but not often). I find beyond 250, and i am in a comfort zone, i know what they feel like, and i am confident that i am doing the right thing when water is deeper, never caught one shallow, but was in the boat when one was got at 30 feet.

Im rambling, go out, buy some decent hooks, keep em sharp, get some good bait (salmon bellies, other fresh bait) or herring sometimes, look for bottom formations, and just go experiment

Mr. Dean
04-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Everything here sounds good. I'll add - Don't bring anything over 50#'s into the boat, unless it's DEAD.

I'm serious!

Johnnybear
04-13-2007, 05:08 PM
I like using extra large herring on a 18" spreader bar with double hooks (razor sharp)and a 1.5# weight. Octopus is deadly as well. We catch the odd octopus in our prawn traps and freeze them for hali bait. I've had hit and miss results with the artificials like Berkley power grubs and the mudrakers etc. so I don't use them much anymore. Lot's of guys swear by them though.

A friend of mine last year had the biggest fish he has ever had on a rod (had to sit on the floor with both feet on the inside of the hull) out off of Sombrio in about 75 ft of water. Had it on for about 45 minutes and somehow lost it. He's going back this year to try that spot again.

Like others have posted most luck I've had is in the deeper water 250-350 ft.

Good luck.

pupper
04-13-2007, 05:15 PM
I heard pt. alberny area is good.

when I have gone we have been quite aways from shore in the deep water 150+ on a sandy bottom. It's key to fish a dead fish bait on a sandy bottom and let the waves move the rod up and down so the wieght hits the bottom of the sea.

if you fish on rocky ground you will hook into cod and snappers more so than halibut but it is still great fishing and eating either way. hope this helps

Justin