PDA

View Full Version : Duck hunting questions

Teal
11-30-2004, 02:54 PM
This is my first season of duck hunting and I have been hunting extensively between Boundary Bay and Ladner. However I would like to extend my repertoire of spots and a friend and I have talked about taking his Grumman canoe and hunting the Pitt Wildlife Management Area. Does anyone have any comments about hunting this area i.e.In regards to parking, access etc…In addition, does anyone have a contact number for membership to AWP? Finally does anyone have any suggestions about other spots that are worth exploring in the lower mainland if you are limited to public land? Thanks.

Freshtracks
12-01-2004, 10:47 PM
Welcome Teal,

Dana can fill you in on the Pitt and probably has a AWP contact....as far as other spots pm coming your way.

Dirty
12-01-2004, 11:12 PM
I heard from a AWP member that membership is 550$ per year, and currently they have 115 members. If you go to google and search AWP contact information will come up on a number of sites.

Dano
12-02-2004, 01:37 AM
Welcome to the site.
I hunt the Pitt Waterfowl area all the time. Your canoe won't be a problem, I use a 12ft aluminum boat with 9hp.. The Pitt marsh is a large area only open to hunting saturday, sunday and wednesdays. There are a number of sections closed full time so you will need to check your special area regulations for boundrys (unfortunately you will be responsible to recognize what area you are in, there are boundry signs out in the area but they just say "boundry" and not if it marks the start or end of a closed area).
The water level out in the marsh is quite high right now so there aren't too many birds around. It also makes it difficult to hunt because you will have to hunt from in your canoe or find an area where you have high ground.
A good place to put in is up by the boat launch parking lot (end of the road). Before you turn around into the parking lot, there is a spot in the ditch besidethe road (on the right). You can follow the ditch a little ways back towards the mountains and it turns into a slough, there's a few side channels heading south you can explore. For a search/exploration trip, I recommend a later start so as not to disturb guys who are set up and it will help you see better where you may want to set up.
I recommend you find an area you like the look of and build a pemanant blind.
I've included a picture of my blind that I took last sunday. Slow day, only bagged 2 mallards out of 3 flights that decoyed in..........