PDA

View Full Version : Broken screw head

SavageShooter
04-06-2007, 09:40 PM
I received an older Browning bow from a friend. I went to install a new quiver, but while removing the sight screws the screw head sheared off. It seems someone used Locktite or the like, when they installed the sight.

Is there any problems with drilling and tapping the hole, being that that bow is aluminum?

P.s. I take it that the screw is a standard size. Does anyone know what size/thread it is?

Thanks.

SS

yellowlab
04-06-2007, 10:13 PM
drill and tap it, just be carefull not to use to big a tap and drill. as for screw size e-mail browning, they should be able to help you.:)

Bow Walker
04-07-2007, 08:11 AM
Those holes for sights are tapped in a common thread size - pretty much every bow company uses the same thread size, but I can't remember what the heck it is...........sorry.

Caveman
04-07-2007, 10:16 AM
A possibility could be a screw extractor. Canadian Tire sells a set, that way you could replace the broken one.

Beaverhunter
04-07-2007, 10:38 AM
A possibility could be a screw extractor. Canadian Tire sells a set, that way you could replace the broken one.

That's what I was thinking. Use a left handed drill bit to drill it out that ma take it out if not use a easy out and it shound come out.

SavageShooter
04-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Update.

I drilled out the sheared screw. For interests sake the screw size is 10-24. So off to Canadian Tire I go. I picked up their Mastercraft Maximum tap/die set for $60. I tapped the hole with little problem. When running in the new screw I noticed some resitance; shavings I thought. I ran the tapper back in to clean the new thread, and with little pressure, I swear, the damn end of the tap snapped off ( this is into fairly soft aluminum). What bloody luck. Back to CA Tire I go to get a new set. Now I am really SOL. I can not coax out the tap tip. I can not drill it because the tap steel is hard, plus with the way it sheared there is no way to center a drill bit.

What is my best bet? Drill and tap new holes (offset from the others), or continue use the one existing good hole and pivot the sight and drill and tap a new hole? Will new holes severelly weaken the bow?

Thanks for the continued help.

SS