PDA

View Full Version : Gun slings

ianwuzhere
04-06-2007, 01:11 AM
I was wondering what kind of gun slings you have or have used and liked the most. Neoprene or leather..
-Last season on my leather sling the swivels made a small creak noise. Didnt want to oil them so had to install different ones, good now...
cheers!!!

Poguebilt
04-06-2007, 06:54 AM
Butler creek neopreme Alaskan magnum model with shell holders.... I have 2 with and 2 without....

mark
04-06-2007, 06:55 AM
I took the sling off my rifle about 10 years ago, and never put it back on!

Bushman
04-06-2007, 06:57 AM
I just picked up a new Butler Creek (#80033) Alaskan Magnum sling in black. All my rifles now wear Uncle Mike's QD quick detachable 1" sling swivels so it won't be a problem interchanging between guns. The Alaskan Magnum neoprene sling has a special padded non-slip grip section that solves the problems of a rifle being carried in the field constantly shifting around on your shoulder and always feeling heavy. The neoprene should also form a solid grip around a shooter's forearm to stabilize any shaking or barrel weave when shooting offhand. The Butler Creek Alaskan magnum sling also comes equipped with four heavy-duty cartridge holders sewn on. All in all I'd say the Butler Creek Alaskan Magnum sling looks like it's made well and should do the job it was designed for in style and comfort.

Good Huntin'

Bushman

Steeleco
04-06-2007, 08:09 AM
I used to use the Alaskan but then I found a Boonie packer Safari sling.
I'll never go back.

trapdawg
04-06-2007, 08:10 AM
I make my own with nylon webbing. You can put a quick realease in with a plastic buckle,then tie a shoe lace through your sling swivels and no more noise.

Phil
04-06-2007, 09:02 AM
I use a Butler Creek neoprene. It has good shock absorbtion for walking long distances without wearing down your shoulder. Has good grip to help it stay in place with 4 shell holes.

300 wsm
04-06-2007, 09:42 AM
butler creek neoprene, comfy the best i've found to work with

todbartell
04-06-2007, 10:25 AM
I like the Uncle Mikes mountain sling

http://www.hoppes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=2453033&catky=1279575&subcatky1=4548835&subcatky2=2000174

none of my rifles are over 8.5 lbs scoped so I dont see any advantage to a big pad on my shoulder. I dislike how they effect the rifle when shooting offhand, they act like a pendelum. Even worse when you stuff 4 rounds of ammo in them.

Tinney
04-06-2007, 11:16 AM
I like the Uncle Mikes mountain sling

http://www.hoppes.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=2453033&catky=1279575&subcatky1=4548835&subcatky2=2000174

none of my rifles are over 8.5 lbs scoped so I dont see any advantage to a big pad on my shoulder. I dislike how they effect the rifle when shooting offhand, they act like a pendelum. Even worse when you stuff 4 rounds of ammo in them.

Exactly the problem I have with my Butler Creek. Dang thing rocks back and forth, drives me nuts. I'll be going back to old-school leather for next year.

Franko Manini
04-06-2007, 11:32 AM
I just picked up a new Butler Creek (#80033) Alaskan Magnum sling in black. All my rifles now wear Uncle Mike's QD quick detachable 1" sling swivels so it won't be a problem interchanging between guns. The Alaskan Magnum neoprene sling has a special padded non-slip grip section that solves the problems of a rifle being carried in the field constantly shifting around on your shoulder and always feeling heavy. The neoprene should also form a solid grip around a shooter's forearm to stabilize any shaking or barrel weave when shooting offhand. The Butler Creek Alaskan magnum sling also comes equipped with four heavy-duty cartridge holders sewn on. All in all I'd say the Butler Creek Alaskan Magnum sling looks like it's made well and should do the job it was designed for in style and comfort.

Good Huntin'

Bushman

Yeah, what he said. All my bolt guns have them. For the short lever actions, I use old school leather.

30-06
04-06-2007, 11:51 AM
i use the butler creek neoprean

Gateholio
04-06-2007, 12:06 PM
The key to using the Butler Creek slings is to use the shell holders as ammo storage when you are not hunting.

I like the comfort of picking up a rifle and always knowing I have ammo for it, so I will pick up the rifle, remove ammo form shell loops and load rifle.

Ammo dangling from you rsling whiel you attempt a offhand shot is not helpful at all....:lol:

Tinney
04-06-2007, 12:33 PM
The key to using the Butler Creek slings is to use the shell holders as ammo storage when you are not hunting.

I like the comfort of picking up a rifle and always knowing I have ammo for it, so I will pick up the rifle, remove ammo form shell loops and load rifle.

Ammo dangling from you rsling whiel you attempt a offhand shot is not helpful at all....:lol:

Even without ammo the Butler slings still sway.

Gateholio
04-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Even without ammo the Butler slings still sway.

I think you just lack upper body strength.8-)

Seriously, they are no heavier thana traditional leather sling,so if you are having this problem, (with any sling) try threading your arm through the sling, and use it to enhance your steadiness.

Tinney
04-06-2007, 12:54 PM
I think you just lack upper body strength.8-)

Seriously, they are no heavier thana traditional leather sling,so if you are having this problem, (with any sling) try threading your arm through the sling, and use it to enhance your steadiness.

I think you lack lower body strength! :lol: I don't like my sling :|

30-06
04-06-2007, 12:59 PM
i think tinney just lacks body strenght every where:lol:

BearSniper
04-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Slings

I use a used leather Remington sling I bought off ebay for my 30-06. It's old but it does the trick. I installed a plastic quick release buckle on the bottom end.

I know some fellas don't like a sling, but I find if you have to climb a very steep forest slope almost on your hands and feet, it's nice to have the rifle on your back.

Just my 2 cents:smile:

WoodOx
04-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Although a little off topic, have you guys ever used a sling when crawling? there must be a way to create a sling that acts like a backpack with two slings - when crawling in snow or areas that will f'up your rifle, youve got to keep it on your back.

harbinger
04-06-2007, 01:26 PM
I use a rubber sling (kinda like a scuba mask strap.) If you see one of these give it a try, the one I have is made by browning. When you use the sling to shoot it pulls things in nice a snug.

Spitzer
04-06-2007, 03:19 PM
I used to use the Alaskan but then I found a Boonie packer Safari sling.
I'll never go back.

I did the same, but switched when they used to be call "Safari Sling". These are the best slings on the market, I've been using mine for 10 years and I will never go back to my B/C neoprene alaskan. My next sling will be the newer version, "Boonie packer Safari sling".

http://www.booniepackerslings.com/

Gateholio
04-06-2007, 04:04 PM
I had one of those "Safari Sling" things..I hated it. :)

Steeleco
04-06-2007, 04:50 PM
I had one of those "Safari Sling" things..I hated it. :)

So it's for sale :lol::lol::lol:

I bought a shell holder for the butt stock, to replace the shell holder advantage the Alaskan has.

elkster
04-06-2007, 07:20 PM
I've got a boonie packer (love it) and also neoprenes with shell holders. I like both, but I like the boonie best, hangs the rifle in front, it's quick to shoulder and keeps my hands free.

ianwuzhere
04-06-2007, 08:06 PM
i picked up a butler creek neoprene- have yet to use it. Thanks for the replies guys!!!
cheers!

Gateholio
04-06-2007, 08:19 PM
So it's for sale :lol::lol::lol:

I bought a shell holder for the butt stock, to replace the shell holder advantage the Alaskan has.

I traded it for about 100 30-06 cases, once fired. I think i got the better end of th bargain......:lol:

tuchodi
04-07-2007, 09:23 PM
I use the Butler Creek Neoprene shock reducing slings on all my guns. We walk about 5 to 15 km everyday when hunting and they really help for long distance walking with reduced fatuiqe on your shoulder.

hunter1947
04-20-2007, 04:49 PM
I took the sling off my rifle about 10 years ago, and never put it back on! You will when you get older mark ,LOL :lol: hunter 1947

FlyingHigh
04-20-2007, 10:17 PM
Anyone use the Browning X-cellerator slings? They look pretty nice.

Wildman
04-21-2007, 06:57 AM
Butler creek neopreme Alaskan magnum model with shell holders.... I have 2 with and 2 without....

That's the one to get. Well the one I like anyway.