PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Hunting with a bow

Dirty
11-28-2004, 04:18 PM
Has anybody on here ever tried coyote hunting or successfully killed a coyote with a bow? I was out giving it a try this morning and called one in with a predator call. When I was belly crawling across a field He got a glimpse of me and to my surprise started howling. As I was hiding behind some blackberry bushes he was just howling away. I guess he thought I was another coyote when I was crawling. He never came into range though, he was about 80-100 yards away. This went on for 30 min before i got fed up and made a stalk on him. He was curious of what I was when I was crawling but eventually took off. Any advice on how to call them when they are howling would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully next weekend yields better results.

leftcoast
11-29-2004, 09:57 PM
Dirty, some guys have success out of tree stands using a predator calll.

=keith=

Tank
11-30-2004, 02:11 PM
from what i here using a decoy of some sort is definitely the way to go. I've even heard claims of one person attaching a decoy to a fishing line and having a partner reel it in when the coyote spots it to bring him into bow range!

3kills
11-30-2004, 04:57 PM
fishin for yotes sounds like fun...

DUKE
11-30-2004, 09:28 PM
yes its very simple to get them dogs into 30yrds and closer. go find an old stuff animal brown in color and hang it from a stick/re-bar 2 ft off ground, 20yrds in front of you. get ready!!! good camo and good back stop. start squeeling. good luck. come Jan i will post some pics of sask yodie hunts. cor.

todbartell
11-30-2004, 10:11 PM
I would set up in some thick brush and put a rabbit decoy along with a electronic caller approx. 20-30 yards from you in a clearing. Use some fox or coyote urine as a cover scent. Hopefully that would make the coyote expose himself in the open with his attention off of your position. Wear full camoflauge too.

I believe there is a few rabbit decoys on the market, I think one of them is called Riggor Rabbit.