PDA

View Full Version : A Story for Mr Thomson

dustycool
03-05-2015, 10:57 PM
I was reading the transcripts from the session of the Legislative Assembly on March 2 following the rally by resident hunters in Victoria on Monday. Those draft transcripts are available here: www.leg.bc.ca/hansard/40th4th/20150302pm-House-Blues.htm
It continues to amaze me the dance that Mr Thomson does to try and demonstrate that the allocations resident hunters are upset about are like fighting over crumbs. He doesn't get it. I wrote a little story in his honor, I hope the members here enjoy.

Looking to fill the fruit bowl in the family kitchen, a man walks into his local grocery store. He spies a delicious looking BC grown apple on his right and places it in his cart. He spots mouth watering BC grown blueberries on his left and places them in his cart. A bright BC grown plum catches his eye in the rack above the apples and he places it alongside his other fruit in the cart. Next the man reaches for a beautiful BC grown peach at the end of the fruit aisle. Suddenly, however, a stock boy steps out of the darkness and slaps the man’s hand away from the peach. ‘No,’ the stock boy snaps, ‘You must stand over there in that lineup if you want a BC peach.’ The man, brow furrowed, suspiciously eyes the line of locals in the line. Some of them are dear friends.

Reluctantly the man joins the line, hoping for the opportunity to bring home this prized local fruit. Soon, however, the store manager’s voice plays over the store PA, ‘To all of our voters, ahem, I mean loyal local customers in the peach line: We’re sorry, but the rest of you will have to wait until next year.’ The man looks around at his friends in line, all with disappointment clearly written on their faces. As they begin to disperse, a strange looking fellow with a distinct American accent saunters into the store, right up to the peach display. He looks around carefully, as the stock boy points out the options available. The American picks up two or three, turns them over in his hand, and finally chooses the one he likes the best. He holds up the peach, as if for all to see his trophy, and asks the man with the peach-less cart, ‘This should look alright above the fireplace, huh?’

‘I-I-I don’t know,’ the man stammers, ‘but it sure would taste good.’ Laughing, the American turns with a smile as long as the Fraser River, flipping the store manager a couple of coins on his way out the door. The coins land in greasy hands with George Washington’s head reflected in the managers eyes. ‘It’s just business,’ he mutters to no one and everyone at once, ‘nothing personal.’

The man approaches the store manager, lifts his eyes and offers a his sentiment, ‘Sir, I’d like an opportunity to take home a BC peach too.’ ‘What?’ the manager queries back, ‘There are over 47,000 fruits harvested in BC every year. You can have your pick of some of the other fruits. The 100 or so peaches allocated to foreigners every year are just a fraction of one percent of all the fruit available. Why are you complaining?’ ‘Well Mr. Thomson,’ the man replied, reading the managers name tag and stiffening his back in resolve, ‘Apparently you don’t know the difference between apples and peaches. You’re not comparing apples to apples here anymore. I know the difference and I would like a peach. Next you’re going to tell me that a deer and a sheep are the same thing.’

Paulyman
03-05-2015, 11:05 PM
Eggsfhukingxactly, this is it in a nutshell. sure BC residents are getting a lot of deer out there every single year, not as many are getting moose or a bison now are they Steveo?

10% still gives a higher amount per capita to the guides, but us non greedy residents understand business in BC needs to succeed so we understand. 20-40 percent is insanity.

Whonnock Boy
03-05-2015, 11:08 PM
Pretty good man.....

Seeker
03-05-2015, 11:11 PM
I like it!

tuner
03-05-2015, 11:13 PM
Great analogy,well done,enjoyed reading!

Down South
03-06-2015, 05:51 AM
Well done, if we could only get them to see

Piperdown
03-06-2015, 06:21 AM
Post it in the letters to the editor in the paper...

Ride Red
03-06-2015, 07:04 AM
Great job on the story.

Foxton Gundogs
03-06-2015, 08:37 AM
Great story PLEASE post it on the 3 Facebook pages below

https://www.facebook.com/ChristyClarkForBC
https://www.facebook.com/Steve4Kelowna
https://www.facebook.com/BCLiberalCaucus

vislander
03-06-2015, 09:45 AM
Excellent job!!!

Everett
03-06-2015, 12:51 PM
That's freaking awesome.

dmace
03-06-2015, 01:03 PM
That is great ! So the short version reads KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF MY PEACHES !:lol:

.264winmag
03-07-2015, 12:50 AM
Nailed it...
Permission to make this story viral?

Whonnock Boy
03-07-2015, 01:11 AM
People have already ran with it, with no opposition from the op.

Nailed it...

Brew
03-07-2015, 07:53 AM
Great work. Enjoyed it. Totally makes sense

dustycool
03-07-2015, 10:02 AM
Nailed it...

Go ahead, make it viral. I just wanted to share it with anyone who might appreciate it.

andrewscag
03-14-2015, 01:37 PM
One of the many things that mr Thomson doesn't seem to understand is the reason that guides can charge so much for these hunts is that they are very highly sought after. That goes for residents as well as non residents. Probably even more so.