PDA

View Full Version : BCWF AGM in Fernie

LupieHunter
02-13-2015, 04:53 PM
Just curious as to how many hbc members plan on attending the agm and convention this year in Fernie? Also don't forget to get your kids to apply to go as junior delegates through your club or region. The junior delegates always get to go on a ton of cool adventures during convention and have loads of fun!

adriaticum
02-13-2015, 05:04 PM
How do they always find the darkest hole in the universe to have AGMs, this question has baffled me for 3 centuries.
I'd love to go to an AGM but I sure can't go to the tropic of Capricorn for it.

coach
02-13-2015, 05:11 PM
The AGM moves around the province - as it should Addy. Expect this year's fundraising dinner to be BIG!

Stone Sheep Steve
02-13-2015, 05:12 PM
How do they always find the darkest hole in the universe to have AGMs, this question has baffled me for 3 centuries.

Kelowna, Richmond, Courtney and Surrey are the most recent 4.
Fernie has a great club.

Seeker
02-13-2015, 05:14 PM
The AGM moves around the province - as it should Addy. Expect this year's fundraising dinner to be BIG!

Can the BCWF raise money for Resident priority, or only BCWF?

2chodi
02-13-2015, 05:14 PM
Fernie is a great place to have the convention. The East Kootenay boys do a great job of hosting and raising money.

LupieHunter
02-13-2015, 05:19 PM
As mentioned before, it rotates around the province. Any BCWF member can attend but only 2 direct members can attend as voting delegates I believe. Then the rest of the voting delegates are from clubs regions and board members, etc. If you have the chance, definetly try and attend one. They are very interesting and the evening events are lots of fun.

Rackmastr
02-13-2015, 05:23 PM

Should it be in Vancouver or Surrey every year? Tropic of Capricorn, you sound like the world revolves around the LML. It was in Kelowna last year FFS...

Its a provincial group, so it moves around the province. That being said, Fernie banquet will most likely be larger than most and will raise a ridiculous amount of money if past years Fernie Rod and Gun club banquets are any indication. Fernie does it right and should be an amazing venue.

coach
02-13-2015, 05:25 PM
Should it be in Vancouver or Surrey every year? Tropic of Capricorn, you sound like the world revolves around the LML. It was in Kelowna last year FFS...

Its a provincial group, so it moves around the province. That being said, Fernie banquet will most likely be larger than most and will raise a ridiculous amount of money if past years Fernie Rod and Gun club banquets are any indication. Fernie does it right and should be an amazing venue.

Yup.. And I'm betting this year's fundraiser blows Surrey's out of the water!

LupieHunter
02-13-2015, 05:26 PM
They have also changed up the format this year and shortened the convention by a day so it should be interesting to see how it pans out.

adriaticum
02-13-2015, 05:43 PM
I'm a numbers guy. The way I see it 4 point something million people in the Province. 2.6 (60%) Million living in LML.
Let's play the same game with hunter numbers. 100,000 hunters, 60 percent in LML.
BCWF has 45,000 members and 55,000 non-members.
This IS a popularity contest IMO and if BCWF wants to attract members and hence funding they have to be in and around where the populous is.
It's cool to go to Fernie, Kimberly and Campbell River great places you gotta go where the people are.
Don't get me wrong, I would rather live in Fernie than in Surrey, but this is about numbers for the BCWF.

Unless there is a higher number of hunters in say Kelowna, Kamloops etc.

You know, LML/Okanagan is not too far and wide and one can travel 3-4 hours but Fernie, Jeez!
Anyway, that's the way I see it.

Rackmastr
02-13-2015, 05:43 PM
Yup.. And I'm betting this year's fundraiser blows Surrey's out of the water!

I've been to a lot of banquets and Fernie amazes me with their fundraising and giant crowd. Its a great event, and friends from Calgary were shocked when they saw it as well. I thought I was going to be away on work travel but sounds now like I should make it!!! Cant wait!

LupieHunter
02-13-2015, 05:45 PM
I'm a numbers guy. The way I see it 4 point something million people in the Province. 2.6 (60%) Million living in LML.
Let's play the same game with hunter numbers. 100,000 hunters, 60 percent in LML.
This IS a popularity contest IMO and if BCWF wants to attract members and hence funding they have to be in and around where the populous is.
It's cool to go to Fernie, Kimberly and Campbell River great places you gotta go where the people are.
Don't get me wrong, I would rather live in Fernie than in Surrey, but this is about numbers for the BCWF.

You know, LML/Okanagan is not too far and wide and one can travel 3-4 hours but Fernie, Jeez!

It rotates yearly, always has and always will that way people living in Fort Nelson for example don't always have to commute down here to the coast for it. Don't like it, don't attend. Simple as that.

Rackmastr
02-13-2015, 05:46 PM

I'll disagree with ya on that one.....you don't 'have to go where the numbers are' to get fundraising dollars or people in the door. BCWF has it right by travelling across the province and seeing the benefits of new crowds, new clubs, new members, etc and I think they make a MUCH better financial choice and support choice by moving around through the province.

Why should only the 60 percent of LML's be 'close' to the banquet each year? People from different parts of the province should be the ones to travel? With that mindset, drive out to Fernie and go to the banquet this year!!!! LOL

Sounds like I'm talking to a guy from Toronto and telling me why everything should be based out of Toronto....

adriaticum
02-13-2015, 05:51 PM
I'll disagree with ya on that one.....you don't 'have to go where the numbers are' to get fundraising dollars or people in the door. BCWF has it right by travelling across the province and seeing the benefits of new crowds, new clubs, new members, etc and I think they make a MUCH better financial choice and support choice by moving around through the province.

Why should only the 60 percent of LML's be 'close' to the banquet each year? People from different parts of the province should be the ones to travel? With that mindset, drive out to Fernie and go to the banquet this year!!!! LOL

Sounds like I'm talking to a guy from Toronto and telling me why everything should be based out of Toronto....

Sure thing.
Next time when someone asks me what BCWF is and what they do I will send them to you for a slap.
Hey the ratio of members to non-members seems to support my superstition ;)
As much as I hate to be thrown in with the "urban" bunch, this is the reality.

coach
02-13-2015, 05:54 PM
Sure thing.
Next time when someone asks me what BCWF is and what they do I will send them to you for a slap.

Do us all a favor - look into how successful the Surrey event was and report back..

Fisher-Dude
02-13-2015, 05:56 PM
There's never a problem filling the room with delegates to any of the dozen or so AGMs I've attended.

Fernie rocks! Mario and his crew always do a great job.

LupieHunter
02-13-2015, 05:58 PM
There's never a problem filling the room with delegates to any of the dozen or so AGMs I've attended.

Yes the ones I've been to have been packed as well. Was good to see a lot of new delegates last year in Kelowna as well as a lot more women in attendance.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-13-2015, 06:05 PM

You want numbers??? Let's talk North Peace Rod and Gun Club!!!

Rackmastr
02-13-2015, 06:32 PM
Sure thing.
As much as I hate to be thrown in with the "urban" bunch, this is the reality.

My point is there are people who live all over the province, and those of us that live out in the eastern part of it don't appreciate being compared to the 'Tropic of Capricorn' when Fernie has always been a huge banquet and a huge fundraising bunch. They put over 900 people in a room and make a ton of money each year for conservation.

You said it yourself...its about numbers and fundraising.....my guess is Fernie will do just fine in both of those...

adriaticum
02-13-2015, 06:40 PM
My point is there are people who live all over the province, and those of us that live out in the eastern part of it don't appreciate being compared to the 'Tropic of Capricorn' when Fernie has always been a huge banquet and a huge fundraising bunch. They put over 900 people in a room and make a ton of money each year for conservation.

You said it yourself...its about numbers and fundraising.....my guess is Fernie will do just fine in both of those...

Hey if Fernie can pull in more money and members than LML, I'm all for it.

Whonnock Boy
02-13-2015, 06:50 PM
Guaranteed if we had a rally in Fernie, and one in the LML, there would be twice as many people that go to Fernie. Hell, I bet there will be more people from Fernie in Victoria, than LML'ers. LOL

Hey if Fernie can pull in more money and members than LML, I'm all for it.

coach
02-13-2015, 06:58 PM
Back to the original question.. I'm going and I'm really looking forward to it. Last year I spent the whole time organizing kids - this year I can relax and enjoy the event.

Everett
02-13-2015, 07:09 PM
Back to the original question.. I'm going and I'm really looking forward to it. Last year I spent the whole time organizing kids - this year I can relax and enjoy the event.

Don't waste time bringing your skis the hill is in horrible shape though the golf course might open the way things are going.

coach
02-13-2015, 07:14 PM
Don't waste time bringing your skis the hill is in horrible shape though the golf course might open the way things are going.

I was thinking more about bringing a shotgun and a fly rod..turkeys and trout sound more interesting than golf or skiing.

Rackmastr
02-13-2015, 07:22 PM
I was thinking more about bringing a shotgun and a fly rod..turkeys and trout sound more interesting than golf or skiing.

Yessir!!! Good timing too!

biggyun68
02-13-2015, 07:33 PM
My daughter, Grand Jambon, is finishing up her application for DLRGC Junior Rep this week-end.
Her Brother is still got one more year left before is eligible to apply.

LupieHunter
02-13-2015, 07:53 PM
the next club meeting is Tuesday Colin. she also needs a current membership.

fowl language
02-13-2015, 08:04 PM
coach, it seems funny that larger populations have less committee spirit then the smaller clubs and venues. I was very surprized when the surrey , Richmond and Kelowna conventions are a break even at best .look at the ft st john one and the fernie one as a comparison and we suck. lack of community spirit is my guess.....d

adriaticum
02-13-2015, 08:07 PM
coach, it seems funny that larger populations have less committee spirit then the smaller clubs and venues. I was very surprized when the surrey , Richmond and Kelowna conventions are a break even at best .look at the ft st john one and the fernie one as a comparison and we suck. lack of community spirit is my guess.....d

I think the problem is that in urban centers there are so many things to do and people are swamped.
So many things competing for ones attention.
Which in fact may play into Rackmaster's argument that Fernie is better than LML.

Everett
02-13-2015, 08:09 PM

Fishing in the river will suck but the lakes should be good the Turkeys will be strutting and the mountain biking should be good as well.

LupieHunter
02-13-2015, 08:10 PM
Hunting also isn't as popular or accepted here in the lower mainland although that is starting to change.

one-shot-wonder
02-13-2015, 10:57 PM

I recall the Kelowna fundraiser did very well, Trouble was the hotel and convention costs were out of this world!

adriaticum
02-14-2015, 12:00 AM
Hunting also isn't as popular or accepted here in the lower mainland although that is starting to change.

Which is why you need to work the crows down here.
You're preaching to the converted up there. ;)

The Dawg
02-14-2015, 12:08 AM
If someones willing to bring me turkey hunting, Im in hahahha

Foxton Gundogs
02-14-2015, 06:29 AM
If someones willing to bring me turkey hunting, Im in hahahha

Times 2 haven't chased FUrkies in years.

ACE
02-14-2015, 06:57 AM

Fernie is a great place with a hunting/fishing outdoor heritage ...... good people there. An enthusiastic town.
Surrey ..... great place? I guess?
Every corner of our province gets a chance to host .....

Wild one
02-14-2015, 08:45 AM

You would be surprised how many support hunting in the lower mainland and how many of those that have a problem with it can have there mind changed with a little education.

Most have no idea that many hunter are very conservation minded and the effort to preserve wildlife/wildlife habitat they are involved in.

I have had conversations with lots of members of the public in the lower mainland in regards to hunting. Majority of the time they leave with a new respect for hunting. The only ones that you cannot win with are those that are just against killing animals no matter what.

Most of the time it is lack of knowledge that is the issue

LupieHunter
02-14-2015, 10:44 AM
You would be surprised how many support hunting in the lower mainland and how many of those that have a problem with it can have there mind changed with a little education.

Most have no idea that many hunter are very conservation minded and the effort to preserve wildlife/wildlife habitat they are involved in.

I have had conversations with lots of members of the public in the lower mainland in regards to hunting. Majority of the time they leave with a new respect for hunting. The only ones that you cannot win with are those that are just against killing animals no matter what.

Most of the time it is lack of knowledge that is the issue
Actually I did know this... My point was compared to other areas of the province.

biggyun68
02-16-2015, 03:28 PM
Hi Bri:

GJ has a current DLRGC from Heritage hunt Membership:
I will try and get GJ motivated to finish her presentation by tonight:

I would not want to get on her bad side as she is thinking of shooting in the adult female cateory for the club shoot this year and she is stepping up to 12 guage...:grin:

LupieHunter
02-16-2015, 04:13 PM
Not even sure if we are having a club shoot this year as a lot of the club members have been MIA for a while. I will find out more tomorrow night.

E.V.B.H.
02-22-2015, 11:01 PM
Fishing in the river will suck but the lakes should be good the Turkeys will be strutting and the mountain biking should be good as well.
Rivers closed then, but anyone coming bring something to float in as there is lots of productive lakes that will be ice free and fishing good by then, and yes turkeys as well

The Hermit
02-26-2015, 12:08 PM
Really enjoyed the Fernie event last time around... but then again I also enjoyed PG, Courtney, Kelowna etc. Always a good time, except for all the damn speech making and internal political BS! LOL Great group of guys and gals. That said I don't think I can make it this year.

Vetteman
03-01-2015, 05:03 PM
Nanaimo in 2016.
Dave

E.V.B.H.
03-10-2015, 07:59 PM
So I signed up to be a delegate for the first time this year, who else will be representing their club?

Whonnock Boy
03-10-2015, 09:09 PM
First for me as well. My boy is in the youth program, and it should be good!

So I signed up to be a delegate for the first time this year, who else will be representing their club?

E.V.B.H.
03-10-2015, 09:32 PM
Bring lots of cash for the fundraiser! Quad, hot tub, gunwerks rifle, wall tent, usually about 30+ other guns, trips way to much to list

coach
03-10-2015, 09:40 PM
I'm planning on going. Last year I spent the whole time herding kids :lol: looking forward to taking in more of the festivities this time!

Barracuda
03-10-2015, 09:54 PM
If i can make it i will havnt been through fernie for ages

LupieHunter
03-10-2015, 09:58 PM
My dad and myself will be representing our club again (did last year too). I'm almost 23 and have been to convenation 5 times now (including this year), twice as a club delegate, once regional youth and twice I just went for fun. The agm and convention are a lot of fun and I strongly encourage you to go if you've never been.

evhunter
03-18-2015, 11:02 PM

Thanks for the support for the host club, Fernie Rod and Gun Club! Though I would rather not single out a Fernie Club member, I will,... And would suggest your quote should read "Kevin and his crew..." . If we had continued to follow the actions of some of our older members, we would still be in the rut that Kevin has led us out of!!

Fernie continues to be a community minded club, working with various user groups, local charities, youth groups, the schools, sports programs, etc... We involve the people of the Elk Valley in every thing we do. That's our strength and that's why we are successful. We keep an open mind and we are accepted as an important asset of the community. This winter, I had a young father enrol his pre teen son and daughter in our youth archery program and his response to paying for his membership was "... I've lived in Fernie for 14 years, I'm a Rod and Gun Club member, and for the first time, I feel like I can call myself a local!" That's speaks to what the FRGC is.

As far as our Fundraiser, we've been at it for years. It's a FRGC event, and the BCWF chose to be a part of it once again. (3rd time in 12 years). We'll do it again next year, and the next... Buy your club membership and reserve your tickets... For 2016!, ... 'Cause it's a little tight this year!!

See you in Fernie! Travis Tritt in concert as part of the meet and greet at this year's AGM! Thursday, April 23rd,... Meet and greet, then Travis Tritt! Friday and Saturday, AGM. Friday night BCWF Gala/ Banquet for delegates and FRGC is hosting an African Hunting Seminar with Hunt the Sun Safaris, the same evening, for the general public! Saturday evening is the FRGC fundraiser.

Mik
03-19-2015, 04:18 PM
I will be attending this year and my duaghter has signed up as a junior delegate. I have heard lots as to how much fun and how well the FRGC does at there banquets. Cant wait to attend.

TPK
03-20-2015, 09:16 AM
As mentioned, the last one in Fernie was awesome, the locals know how to host and put on a great event. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this year .. but maybe I'll send some $$ to Mr. Peck to "invest" at the local Casino on behalf of the Federation ....

Other than the Region 5 Executive, I don't know of anyone from Region 5 attending. Usually a few folks go from Williams Lake (as direct members and so I believe non-voting). I hope they make it so someone from our Region is representing.

Stone Sheep Steve
03-20-2015, 09:21 AM
Will be there.

Make sure you go to the fundraiser, spend lots of money to increase your odds of winning one of the THREE Bone Beer Donated hunts!