PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon Fishing

44inchStone
04-01-2007, 04:37 PM
Hey Guys,

Would like to take 4-6 guys Sturgeon Fishing the beginng of June as part of a bachelor party. Can you guys help out as to where to stay? WHen's the best time? and who to go with.? Maybe there's some packages around with accomadations and fishing. Looking for two days worth.

44inchStone
Acu-Sight Canada
HuntingBC sponsor

thebeav
04-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Hey you should try Tony from Harrison Bay Guided Services he is one of the best out there and will get you into fish. You could also stay at the Harrison Hotel. I have fished with Tony many times over the years, he runs a first class business. Hope this helps, good luck with the dinosaurs

Sasquatch
04-01-2007, 05:39 PM
I use Lens Sport Fishing and have always done well with him. Nice boats very professional and he knows the river.

www.lenssportfishing-bc.com

They are based in Chilliwack and can take care of hotel arrangements and transportation for you.

44inchStone
04-01-2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the reply,

I'll have to search on pricing and maybe a package deal?? Never thought my hunting bud would have tied the knot at 40. I guess miracles do happen.
44inchStone

Deerwhacker
04-01-2007, 05:44 PM
you should try phoneing up riverside fly and tackle im sure garry will hook you up.

Sasquatch
04-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Make sure you are sitting down when you get the quote, it ain't cheap.
But if one of your friends is tying the knot it would be a great trip to remember as one of his last bachelor outings.

Bushman
04-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Hey Guys,

Would like to take 4-6 guys Sturgeon Fishing the beginng of June as part of a bachelor party. Can you guys help out as to where to stay? WHen's the best time? and who to go with.? Maybe there's some packages around with accomadations and fishing. Looking for two days worth.

44inchStone
Acu-Sight Canada
HuntingBC sponsor

Hi 44inchStone:

If it was me booking an expensive fishing trip I would hold off on your sturgeon fishing adventure until the last two weeks of September.
With the heavier than normal snowpack in the mountains this year you may experience near flood conditions on the Fraser River during June. The sturgeon available for catching are also typically much smaller in June, and much harder to catch due to high, dirty water and so much of it.
2007 is a pink salmon year so there will be an influx of extremely large ocean-going sturgeon making their way into the Fraser River about the end of August. These large sturgeon will then go into holding patterns directly below major pink salmon spawning sites between Mission and Hope. Your chances for success on big sturgeon and better water/fishing conditions are greatly improved during the early fall portion of the year.
If you'd like to book a sturgeon fishing adventure with a good guiding company, check out B.C. Fishing Guides at the following url: http://bcfishingguides.com/aindexvideos.html

Bushman

Dirty
04-01-2007, 07:01 PM
I would go with STS www.guidebc.com (http://www.guidebc.com) or Great River Fishing, www.greatriverfishing.com . They are two of the best companies on the river. STS has some of the nicest boats and largest which would be good for a large group of guys. Check out their websites they are very professional. September will also be the best month to go as this is a Pink Salmon year.

ruger#1
04-01-2007, 07:35 PM
also check out Fred's custom tackle. they also have guides.

Leaseman
04-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Heed what Bushman said....the freshet this year is going to be huge!!!!....in June the fishing is average at best....some good fish, but nothing like the fall fishery......

I have been with Len a few times, excellent guide and very entertaining... Vic at STS does have (I think) the biggest boat on the river and does have some very good guides with him....my own choice would be to get out with Len....

One other thought, what about going out earlier....end of this month should show some good fishing IF the river doesn't get too high too fast....

Mike...love my sturgeon fishing!!!

loki
04-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Wherever you go I'd advise it to be south of Hells Gate for sturgeon.

From what I've read the railway around Hells Gate was built by blasting it out of the side of the mountain, and all discarded debris went into the Fraser River due to ignorance of the time. This has effectively made the section of river in that area so shallow that Sturgeon can't pass through that section of river, and has now split up the Sturgeon into two seperate, and distinct (and growing more apart with each generation), stocks. Needless to say Sturgeon north of Hells Gate are on average smaller, and have a differnt shape to their head. The southern stock can still reach the ocean to become true giants.

bcfarmer
04-06-2007, 05:09 AM
pm shaker...he used to guide on the fraser for sturgeon

bcf

trapdawg
04-06-2007, 08:03 AM
Go without a guide in the Columbia river near Castlgar BC. Below the main dam is best, find the deep holes,set out bait, get ready for the fight of your life!

ARC
04-06-2007, 08:10 AM
Go without a guide in the Columbia river near Castlgar BC. Below the main dam is best, find the deep holes,set out bait, get ready for the fight of your life!

Did they open that area up again? It has been closed for sturgeon fishing for about the last 10-15 years.

FullDraw
04-07-2007, 12:35 PM
My choice would be to book with Tom at STS.

FullDraw

Tinney
04-07-2007, 01:57 PM
44"Stone: What Bushman said is the information you need.

Since this is a sturgeon thread I just want to throw it out there than for the 07/08 fishing year, there is no sturgeon fishing on the Fraser and tributaries north of the confluence with the Williams Lake River. Just an FYI in case you haven't picked up your new regs yet.

Bushman
04-07-2007, 03:07 PM
44"Stone: What Bushman said is the information you need.

Since this is a sturgeon thread I just want to throw it out there than for the 07/08 fishing year, there is no sturgeon fishing on the Fraser and tributaries north of the confluence with the Williams Lake River. Just an FYI in case you haven't picked up your new regs yet.

Thanks, Tinney.

For me next year (2008) will mark 50 years of fishing (as well as professional guiding and survey work) for sturgeon on the Fraser River, Harrison River, Harrison Lake, Pitt River and Pitt Lake. In all those years I have always tried to pass along what I have learned and steer anglers in the right direction so they too could enjoy the great sport of angling for white sturgeon.

I truly hope 44"stone and his good friends have the sturgeon fishing adventure of a lifetime.

Good Fishin'
Bushman

abbyfireguy
05-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Some of the most funfilled trips I guided last season were sturgeon trips. It is a bit more relaxing and you get a chance to shoot the bull with everyone...
The sturgeon from Mission to Chilliwack on the Fraser and Harrison are quite plentiful and put up some epic battles...
This will be my 4th season guiding and it just keeps getting better each year...
Just wish the darn insurance and fuel wasn't so steep...