PDA

View Full Version : Bow storage

loki
04-01-2007, 07:59 AM
Hello,

I just picked up a Browning Nomad XL 45 - 60 LB compund bow yesterday, and now I'm looking for one of the most basic answers.

How do I properly store my bow at home to prevent any warpage or bad wear? The best I can find is stores trying to sell bowstands, and an article that says it's ok to put it up on the wall using nails as support hooks. The article also points out to NEVER leave a compound standing on it's end, but that's about it.

I am a fan of displaying my bow within reason. IE if it is not safe for humans or the bow itself I wont consider it, but if it's safe I will mount it on a wall or something of that sort.

So how is some good ways of in home storage for bows?

Bow Walker
04-01-2007, 08:21 AM
Display? A rack very much like a rifle rack. The support arms are, of course, further apart to accommodate the bow(s).

Another option? A hard case with foam and velcro 'tie-downs' inside. There is generally room for your bow, stabilizer, quiver, release binocs, gloves, arrows, and what-have-you.

The case is sort of an all in one, easy to have in the car/truck for when you have time to hit the range.

Eagle1
04-01-2007, 09:28 AM
A rubber coated J hook screwed into the ceiling, Thats the way I hang my bows in the shop and they are above your head. You can leave all your acc's on them, stabilizer bow quiver/ arrows, target bows, long stabilizers, v- bars. You can pick it down, walk out into the back yard and start shooting.
Like one of those coat hook afairs with a shelve along the top and J hooks in the bottom of the shelf for the bows to hand along the wall, all in order like you would hang coats.
Hanging it by the wheel is perfectly fine and won't damage a thing.
Standing a older wood laminat limb bow up in the corner is not good as it could put a twist in the limb, but with the newer carbon/fiberglass limbs I can't see a problem other than it looks like you just throw your bow in the corner and don't care. Most care and take care to hang it or keep it in a bow case for protection, you don't want anything rubbing in the strings and cables, they could break and cause a lot of damage to the bow or you.

loki
04-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the answers, looks like I'm getting a case and couple of J hooks next :)