PDA

View Full Version : Hanwag Boots

Spokerider
03-30-2007, 11:02 AM
For those of you who have bought / used Hanwag boots, which model did you have, and were you satisfied? I'm considering a pair........ perhaps the "Alaskan".

bigwhiteys
04-02-2007, 02:35 PM
Spokerider,

My set of Hanwags finally arrived after a size exchange... I have a size 12 US but in the Hanwags I run 13 US.

The model I got was the Hanwag Alaska Trapper Top (high top) I've worn them a bit around the house and went for a hike in them yesterday. They feel good so far... They are a little stiff but that will change after a few miles...

1 word of caution... I purchased through a US dealer and unbeknownst to many of us there is a 20% duty on ANY boots manufactured in Germany. It was a bit of a surprise when they showed up with the package and wanted $228.00 in Duty!!!!!

They charged me 20% on the entire package which was socks, footbeds, wax etc... Instead of 20% on JUST the boots so I am applying for a refund to get that back as per my conversation with customs.

I'll keep you updated on how the boots work out. If you want some pictures of them I'll post some up. I am doing a full review on my own website as well after I put on a few more miles.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

tuchodi
04-02-2007, 03:47 PM
I just recieved my new Hanwag Alaskan GTX from Monod Sports in Banff. My total cost before taxs were $319.99 (canadian dollars) and they have free shipping on anything over $150.00 Check out their web site Much better price than I could find out of the USA.

Don in BC
04-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Tochodi

I'd be willin' to bet you just ruined Bigwhitey's day.:-(

bigwhiteys
04-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Tochodi, I'd be willin' to bet you just ruined Bigwhitey's day.:sad:

Not even close... When I ordered my boots they came with socks, custom footbeds, boot wax and exceptional service from a family run company (all hunters) that I was recommended to from someone I trust and despite the fact it might cost more I'll still deal with them on boots in the future.

Price isn't something that I base all of my purchase decisions on... Value - (What I get for my money IS.)

If you wanted to ruin my day you'd need to stick with me with the inlaws.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

tuchodi
04-03-2007, 10:23 PM
I am glad I didnt spoil anyones day I had no intention to do that I was just replying to Spokeriders question and giving him an option. I also found a couple of place's in the US that sold these boots but I was not friends with any of them and there was a considerable savings when I bought them from Banff. Good Shopping

Spokerider
04-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas.

Carl, that duty hurts..... ouch. I hate paying duty and "customs fees" and brokerage fees aka UPS when buying international. Seems like spending money on a big fat nothing. Why did you need to up a size? Was it for the extra length or width or both? The trapper sure looks like a nice boot.

tuchodi,
Thanks for the tip on the Monod Sports. I'm contacting them and trying to get the right sized Alaskan GTX boot ordered. I find that Hanwag dosen't specify boot width in their sizing, so how do you know if the boots are D width or EE width? I have wide feet and need the EE width. I sent Monod my foot measurements and hope they can figure it out for me.

tuchodi
04-05-2007, 05:01 PM
Spokerider. This is my second pair and I take an 8.5 US size which is a 7.5 UK. My feet are not real wide like maybe an E and they fit me fine. I hope Monod can help you with the width as they have been real good boots for me.

Tack
04-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Hi,
Hanwag boots being German are made with lasts that are wider than, say Italian boots. I have wide feet (EE) and they fit me fine.
Tack

300mag
04-09-2007, 07:49 AM
I bought my hanwags from Track and Trail in Edmonton..There awesome boots

Spokerider
04-19-2007, 08:54 PM
Well I got the Hanwags, and they look like a really nice boot. BUT, they're too narrow for my EEEE foot, so back they go..........:roll:

Went down to Viberg Boots in Victoria and ordered a pair of their insulated hunting boots. They're going to custom make them for my feet and use the leather and sole of my choice. I'm going with a heavy weight water buffalo hide leather for durability and airbob soles. Should stand up pretty well to my west coast adventures. They're not a "mountain" boot however, so I' guess I'll continue the search for a stiffer climbing boot.