PDA

View Full Version : Barney's and Tatonka pack frames

brno375
03-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Does anyone here have experience with these? What were they like under load?

http://www.barneyssports.com/itemDescription.jsp?depid=2&prodid=283

http://www.sherpa-mtn.com/qs/category/-1/2399/0/0

bigwhiteys
03-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Brno,

I've been looking at new externals as well. The Barney is obviously a great pack with a solid following in Alaska (as you'll know from some of the AK hunting forums), BCRams can also attest to the quality and durability. My only sticking point with the Barney is the weight... it's almost 12 pounds...! That just seems to much for a pack.

Have not looked at the Tatonka yet...

The Kifaru also looks like a good pack and one that I am leaning towards as well... Lots of good reviews.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

270WIN
03-30-2007, 08:43 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=9627&page=2

here is some info i recieved from the guys on hbc a wile back when i was looking fora back i just recieved my tanoka pack and so far very happy with it i have not had a lot of weight in in but i can belived how comfortable it is

hope this helps

Stone Sheep Steve
03-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Don't pay much attention to the weight of the pack itself. What's more important is how the pack carries the weight. I had a Kelty external (pretty light) and now I have a Wilderness Wanderer. Wanderer is a lot heavier but I can pack the same weight all day without having to rest my back as I had to with my old pack.
The two packs are night and day.
I haven't tried the Barney but trust BCRams experience. If I didn't already have a W.W., I'd buy a Barney (as long as it comes with a guarentee to shoot one of those cranker Dall's!!8) ).

Bruno-88Dodge from HS has a Barney and is down your direction. I'm sure he wouldn't mind you checking it out!! My buddy ran into him in the Ashnola last summmer and thought his pack was pretty skookum!

SSS

Fisher-Dude
03-30-2007, 03:30 PM
I haven't tried the Barney but trust BCRams experience. SSS

SSS, you are confused. Rams hunts with a little guy named Barney Rubble, from Clearwater! :lol:

brno375
03-30-2007, 03:56 PM
Bruno-88Dodge from HS has a Barney and is down your direction. I'm sure he wouldn't mind you checking it out!! My buddy ran into him in the Ashnola last summmer and thought his pack was pretty skookum!

SSS

Thanks SSS, I sent him a pm.

kutenay
03-30-2007, 05:32 PM
My partner and I both tried on weighted Tatonkas, didn't like them and he gave me one of their internals to try out in '05, pretty mediocre.

I have not tried a Barney's, but, they are a much strenghtened version of the old Camptrails "Freighter" and I have packed tons on those. There is a bit more sway than I prefer, however, I like these more than the Wilderness Wanderer which I have tried and do not care for, YMMV.

I have two Kifaru packs, a Longhunter Rondy and a Siwash, these are better and right up there in comfort and quality. I also have a Bullpac Alaskan which is the best external I have ever used, but, the suspension could be improved.

The BEST packs, for me, anyway, I have owned/used are from www.Mysteryranch.com (http://www.Mysteryranch.com). Their NICE frame combo, with 6500 bag, load hauler, Crew Cab and two Fliptop pockets plus a Kifaru long Universal Gunbearer is just perfect for me and my favourite by far of the packs I have. I also have and use their BDSB and Futura Deluxe packs and I love them as they allow me to carry loads in comfort that are too much for an old phart using most packs.

I cannot recommend MR packs too highly and they have a new super-duty NICE frame/combo coming out for those who hump huge loads as well as an "off-chore" line that they guarantee and costs substantially less.

Of all the gear that I have seen and used, MR and Integral Designs is the finest and the substantial cost is well worth it.

Brambles
03-30-2007, 11:08 PM
My partner and I both tried on weighted Tatonkas, didn't like them

Surprising to hear, I bought a Tatonka last year and i love it. Probably put on a couple hundred kilometers with it on, alway with a minumum of 40 lbs. One day I did 26 kms with 75 lbs on board not including rifle weight and it was fine, great back padding and I love the fact that you can take it off and it will stand there all by itself. Look forward to using it again this year.

Don't rule out the Tatonka

kutenay
03-31-2007, 06:09 AM
Different packs fit individuals differently, that is part of my lack of enthusiasm for Tatonka and Wilderness Wanderer frames, they do not fit me as I want a pack to.

I also do not care for the lower shelf arrangement, too complex and can catch on branches to easily. I am from Nelson and have backpacked extensively in the West Kootenays, trekking throughout the Valhallas, over Earl Grey Pass and in Kokanee while hunting Crawford, the Lardeau and so on; in such thickly forested country, I really do not like packs that extend over my head or have features that can hook onto brush and pull me off balance.

But, each of us has certain preferences, mine are as listed and the MR NICE combo will do it all, the only problem is it is very costly.

Krico
03-31-2007, 07:55 AM
I have never laid my eyes on the Barney, but it is supposedly quite the pack. I have though checked out the Tatonka, and was pleasantly surprised with the fit, weight etc., especially when you take price into consideration-The frame and pack together were around $250 where I saw them. The few guys on this site who have owned them for a season or two seem to have nothing but good to say about them, so I am seriously considering picking one up for those hunts where my internal frame is not up to the task.

bigwhiteys
03-31-2007, 08:03 AM
so I am seriously considering picking one up for those hunts where my internal frame is not up to the task.
What are you using for an Internal right now Krico?

Carl

Brambles
03-31-2007, 08:09 AM
I am from Nelson and have backpacked extensively in the West Kootenays

Nelson Eh, sure wish I could hike those mountains some day, guess I'll have to buy a new pack in order to do it though.:lol:

Krico
03-31-2007, 08:14 AM
It's an Osprey Aether 70L-a great pack, fits good, large main compartment, easy to strap the gun to the outside but under a heavy load the comfort level really starts to drop. For day tripping from base camp I prefer to just take an empty frame, with a few essentials in a waterproof stuff and spotter tied on. Keeps the load light, and if you shoot something you've got room to load it on without messing around.

Brambles
03-31-2007, 08:16 AM
Just as an FYI, I tried one of the kelty packs on last year when I bought my tatonka and although the packframe was WAY too narrow for my shoulder width and I didn't really like the pack much but they have the best hip belt tightening system I have ever used, you can really put your weight into tightening up the belt. Its a double forward push system that you can actually tighten both sides at the same time.
All the other packs that I have seen you have to pull back on the straps and have absoutely no leverage to get it tight without having to use 2 hands to tighten one side at a time. I am going to try and addapt that system to my tatonka, not sure if I can but its a definite upgrade....

kutenay
03-31-2007, 10:05 AM
Nelson Eh, sure wish I could hike those mountains some day, guess I'll have to buy a new pack in order to do it though.:lol:

The moutains near Nelson are the easy ones, I used to live beside the orange bridge and hike from there, the old ferry landing, into the back end of Baldface Cr. and back, almost every Sunday, just a nice day's jaunt.

I also walked into Evan's Lake from Slocan and back in five days in August, 1975, now that is a hike that really tests your enthusiasm for backpacking, especially on the boulder fields in the upper basins near Fosheim Lake. I had a Flallraven Expedition frame pack then from the company that now sells Tatonka and Meindl boots; I changed to a Gerry Makalu soft pack due to a fall in Evan's Cr. canyon that was due to the frame pack shifting and nearly killed me, I was alone at the time, at least 8 miles from Slocan.

I don't really like ANY frame pack very much, none of them hug your torso like a properly fitted quality internal will, but, everyone has different preferences, each to his own.

Maxx
03-31-2007, 11:42 AM
Bron375,

My father has the Tatonka, and I have the Kifaru Longhunter. I have worn the totonka for a few days, and like it. It is light, and comfortable. I would not overlook this pack,

Brambles
03-31-2007, 11:49 AM
The moutains near Nelson are the easy ones, I used to live beside the orange bridge and hike from there, the old ferry landing, into the back end of Baldface Cr. and back, almost every Sunday, just a nice day's jaunt.

Did you go up through paulput rock(spelling???) and up over the top and hook up with the tower road or did you take the private road through crazy mans land and up grohman creek to baldface. Walking on roads doesn't count?;)

Just razzin ya, I live here too:lol:

JMac
03-31-2007, 11:50 AM
I've used Tatonkas for several years now. I've packed out elk, mule deer (including all my gear for 7-10 days), and bears with mine. I had three quarters of a konger bear in it plus it's hide and head on it as well. The load almost made me yak but I got er done and the pack took it no problem. The only beef I have is they (the straps) sometimes squeak with a heavy load on.

kutenay
03-31-2007, 01:38 PM
[quote=Brambles]Did you go up through paulput rock(spelling???) and up over the top and hook up with the tower road or did you take the private road through crazy mans land and up grohman creek to baldface. Walking on roads doesn't count?;)

The Tower Road did not exist when we first started fishing and hunting up Grohman/Baldface; we boated down to where the old KFP haul road from the '50s ended just upstream from Grohman Creek's mouth ans walked from there. I have climbed the Pulpit Rock Trail gazillions of times, hiked to the old silica diggings on top of Elephant Mtn. and in behind Mt. Grohman, very fine Mule Deer and Grouse hunting in the days before that road and the HIPPIES who moved up there in the '70s.

WHO is ...crazy man..., I have relatives there, we are one of the oldest families in Nelson and I lived there, mostly, until I was 35, but, I have never heard this term. By any chance, could this be P.S. or D.P., both of whom I knew? There WAS a family who lived up there and it ended pretty tragically, so, I won't go into details as I knew them well, but, I would like to know who this is?

We also used to walk into Burn's Meadows to hunt Grouse, up the OLD TV road, long gone now, I imagine, but, the Blues and Franklin's were thick then and we got plenty of them. There was a fine log cabin uip there, but, HIPPIES started using it to do drugs in and so the R.C.M.P. and B.C.F.S. torched it, or so I was told; do you know about this?

Stone Sheep Steve
03-31-2007, 02:00 PM
Dope smokin' hippies around Nelson:o ?? ..........Say it isn't so!!:roll:

SSS

Brambles
03-31-2007, 04:43 PM
Dope smokin' hippies around Nelson:o ?? ..........Say it isn't so!!:roll:

SSS

Hey!! Don't be painting all of Nelson with the same brush.....:lol: I don't even eat vegitables I certainly ain't going to smoke them.......

kutenay
03-31-2007, 04:53 PM
What about LIQUID "vegetables", like "Paddywhack" ????

DeeDee
01-03-2019, 12:55 PM
Does anyone here have experience with these? What were they like under load?

http://www.barneyssports.com/itemDescription.jsp?depid=2&prodid=283

http://www.sherpa-mtn.com/qs/category/-1/2399/0/0

Hi there,

I see you posted this in 2007. Did you buy a tatonka frame and pack? Curious as i am looking for one myself. Wondering what your thoughts of it is.