PDA

View Full Version : Ashnola Sheep in Trouble?

Blair
01-23-2015, 09:29 AM
I don't think this has been posted yet:
http://www.vancouversun.com/health/Southern+bighorn+sheep+risk+from+disease/10752442/story.html

bighornbob
01-23-2015, 09:35 AM
Its new news about the helicopters but the mange has been discussed on here before. A few threads last year.

BHB

01-23-2015, 09:36 AM
I hadn't heard of this. It doesn't look good and I hope they sort it out quick.

Moe.JKU
01-23-2015, 11:06 AM
I have noticed a drop over the last three years in sheep that I have spotted in that area while hunting. I just thought that I missed them or they were on a different slope. Saw about 20 up that way this year. Only one was 3/4 curl rest were all young. It would be nice to see a rebound as I like to see them up up that way on my yearly hunt there.

elknut
01-23-2015, 04:36 PM
I only have one thing to add..Why has the population of sheep in the USA in the past 30 years gone from 17,000 animals to now 80, 000 animals? Here in BC our sheep numbers are going down..We entrust the management of our animals to our Provincial govt..I feel they are no longer doing their " Due Dilgence " in managing our wildlife..This has been and is a serious problem that we as hunters have ignored for too long..Hope we can reverse this trend..

coach
01-23-2015, 04:51 PM
I only have one thing to add..Why has the population of sheep in the USA in the past 30 years gone from 17,000 animals to now 80, 000 animals? Here in BC our sheep numbers are going down..We entrust the management of our animals to our Provincial govt..I feel they are no longer doing their " Due Dilgence " in managing our wildlife..This has been and is a serious problem that we as hunters have ignored for too long..Hope we can reverse this trend..

i think you need to look at each herd before coming to a conclusion like that. Would be great to see the data you are referring to with regard to pops in BC declining.

markomoose
01-23-2015, 06:02 PM
I only have one thing to add..Why has the population of sheep in the USA in the past 30 years gone from 17,000 animals to now 80, 000 animals? Here in BC our sheep numbers are going down..We entrust the management of our animals to our Provincial govt..I feel they are no longer doing their " Due Dilgence " in managing our wildlife..This has been and is a serious problem that we as hunters have ignored for too long..Hope we can reverse this trend.. I totally agree with you elknut!The Gov't has spent too much money on stupid shit and doesn't recognize it 's own beauty in it's wildlife.They basically run our province like a business and business is good in their foggy eyes!My 2 cents.

elknut
01-23-2015, 08:13 PM
Anyone that has hunted sheep in the province for many years knows how the sheep numbers have declined..The Fraser river bighorns ..The Thompson river bighorns ...Trapped and given to the Americans..The okanagon sheep ..no where near their numbers...Northern BC stone sheep ...A long ways from past numbers...Our Dept of Fish and Wildlife is a bloody joke...We have lost management of our wildlife for many years since the Govt axed the biologists positions..Sorry Coach I tend to disagree ..Just my observations from many years hunting in BC..

srupp
01-23-2015, 08:20 PM
Hmmm at wild sheep society convention last year the biologists for the southern half of bc all echoed diminishing sheep numbers..with many possible solutions...chilcotin sheep are waaaaaaaay down..
Srupp

bruin
01-23-2015, 09:54 PM
There's some projects in the works to help these herds. It comes down to dollars and sense unfortunately and there is a general lack of funds in MFLNRO these days as we well know. There's so many threats to wild sheep across the province its hard to know where to start. The best thing you can do is show up and get informed and contribute to the cause! Region 8 biologist will be presenting this year and the Ashnola herd will be a hot topic.

Convention March 13/14, 2015 https://wildsheepsociety.net/convention-and-fundraiser/

The HOL is a great way to put money towards wild sheep projects. https://wildsheepsociety.net/hunt-of-a-lifetime/
Lets get the place BURNT!!

boxhitch
01-24-2015, 07:20 AM
Another 'study' is being launched , and those in the business of 'studies' are excited to see what the 'study' produces in the way of information on sheep movements , mortality confirmation , and population trends . Its good to see and we can hope for some good info .....

Maybe some day it will be swords swinging and axes falling and blazes raging and voices roaring .........but not just yet folks

GoatGuy
01-24-2015, 09:33 AM
This article is a huge red herring.

The helicopter company flew feed in to the feed station on south slopes FOR DECADES ----- FOR FREE. There was always way more sheep. Suddenly helicopters are the problem?

The problem here is the mites, and poor habitat due to forest ingrowth. The place needs to be burned to the ground and we need to get a domestic//wild plan which does not include fencing every place of private property in the province.

The person who wrote the article is going after this to get that whole place turned a National Park. That is where this is going and that is why this "anti-helicopter" thing is suddenly an issue. Helicopters will be banned if the Ashnola is turned into a NP, this article just starts to drive that wedge in the community.

01-24-2015, 09:34 AM
So if these particular Sheep are in trouble .......As they have been in the past . Just wondering how many the Government is going to allow Non residents to come and pay to finish them off. Non residents concern for BC wildlife is absent, take take take.

This is area is a prime example of an area that should not be open to non resident harvest. Zero harvest including BC residents if it's not sustainable .

The incredible amount of volunteer hours that have been put into helping BC sheep is unmeasurable. Yet the present Government is turning a blind eye and selling off what remains.

The BC Government is doing very very little in regards to the well being of BC wildlife ....... What has this Government done in regards to the health of BC wild salmon, they sit quiet and let the Federal government rape it while you can ........ How short sited

boxhitch
01-24-2015, 10:00 AM
It actually looks like the revised national park map doesn't include the Ashnola anymore ?
From 650 h. in 2006 to 284 h. in 2010
See SOSNP Feasibility Study

boxhitch
01-24-2015, 10:05 AM
Zero harvest including BC residents if it's not sustainable Many professionals are confident that the hunter harvest is not the limiting factor in herd growth , and the hunt is sustainable. Lambs are being born , but not surviving to adult ages.

boxhitch
01-24-2015, 10:09 AM
Helicopter training has gone on for decades , but that doesn't mean critters are immune to it , and having Gov't or anyone else ask the co. to curtail its activities in certain areas isn't unreasonable .

GoatGuy
01-24-2015, 10:17 AM
It actually looks like the revised national park map doesn't include the Ashnola anymore ?
From 650 h. in 2006 to 284 h. in 2010
See SOSNP Feasibility Study

The current proposal is 284 km2, + 83km2 that is supposed to transition, + 98km2 of private land that will be bought on willing seller basis. The public wasn't shown the maps on those additions only "key stakeholders" per the usual. I think Parks Canada wants it right up to Kamloops and that this is only the thin edge of the wedge. Parks Canada is now saying they will allow some cattle grazing - of course that will be phased out over time.

The people who are pushing for the park are:
City of Vernon
North OK REgional District
Kelowna Chamber of Commerce
Destination Osoyoos
Okanagan Basin Water Board
Regional District of Okanagan
South OK Chamber of Commerce
CPAWS
South OK Naturalists
World Wildlife Fund
Ok Similikameen Parks Society
Nature Canada
Tourism Penticton
Outdoor Recreation Council
Regional District Ok Similkameen
Town of Osoyoos
A couple Wineries
Organic Famers in South Okanagan

And last but not lest the Minister of Environment for the provincial government.

This issue is currently "live", and that is the authors take on it.

GoatGuy
01-24-2015, 10:21 AM
Helicopter training has gone on for decades , but that doesn't mean critters are immune to it , and having Gov't or anyone else ask the co. to curtail its activities in certain areas isn't unreasonable .
It's a matter of finding times and places to do it - pretty simple to do.

This part of the sheep issue is a red herring.

We are back to do we want to manage a dwindling resource or do we want to make more. Banning helicopters will not make more.

boxhitch
01-24-2015, 10:41 AM
Are you suggesting the media is throwing red herrings ? :)
you won't get an argument from me , on any of your points

srupp
01-24-2015, 12:27 PM
Hmm years ago our local expertused helicopters to study the sheep, move the sheep so much that still till today..25 years the sheep have learned at the sound of a chopper even high..they head into the thick timber..not the cliffs ..
The lambs are being produced..so males and females are still doing the sheep mawwwwmba..its that the lambs are not surviving,,,
Each location..different villans...would love to know what happened to the Chasm band? Gone

Steven

Ferenc
01-24-2015, 01:45 PM
The Chasm band is still around... My brother lives right in the area and works at West Fraser there... He watched the herd all summer and into the fall... But he never saw any mature rams in the herd.. He said they were moving back and forth (Loon lake )

Ferenc
01-24-2015, 02:10 PM
He just told me about the 3 full curl rams that used to be in the herd... He hasn't seen them for awhile.... Most likely taken illegally

boxhitch
01-24-2015, 07:02 PM
He watched the herd all summer and into the fallHow many was he seeing ? Last count was something like 26 , down from close to 100.
Why ? Suspected contact with domestic sheep from a producer in the area.

aggiehunter
01-24-2015, 10:17 PM
why would you ask a Co to curtail helicopter activity?

aggiehunter
01-24-2015, 10:20 PM
ps...the sooner you quit talking about the national parc reserve the better for all of us....it's not helping to talk about it.

primmed99
01-24-2015, 10:32 PM
Still a few stompers in the chasm herd for sure! but agreed numbers are down, I spend lots and lots of time hunting sheep and have paid attention up in that area. Im def. no biologist but something is not working out as planned for them……..also agreed the Ashnolas needs a good fire to go thru there

GoatGuy
01-24-2015, 10:38 PM
ps...the sooner you quit talking about the national parc reserve the better for all of us....it's not helping to talk about it.

true, we should just encourage them to do it

boxhitch
01-25-2015, 10:11 AM
ps...the sooner you quit talking about the national parc reserve the better for all of us....it's not helping to talk about it.sticking ones head in the sand is an option .....I guess