PDA

View Full Version : Halibut & Salmon Fishing

Lorne1
03-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Can anybody point me in the right direction for a good guide and boat.There are 3 of us in Grande Prairie Alberta looking to do some fishing.When is the best time to go.Any help you can give me would be great
Thanks Lorne

Tinney
03-28-2007, 08:18 PM
West Coast Fishing Club. Buddy guided there last summer. From the stories and pics to back them up.....only place to be.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/PGKris/Random-DaneCod.jpg

rick stewart
03-28-2007, 09:08 PM
all depends on what area you are wanting to go fishing ?

Lorne1
03-28-2007, 09:32 PM
We were thinking about the Kitamat area but will look at all places

MB_Boy
03-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Lorne,

Are you just wanting to stay in Kitimat and do day trips from there or are you looking for more of a resort experience?

I just looked at a guide's website who is based out of Kitimat and I will try and find the link again.

Lorne1
03-29-2007, 10:13 AM
We are open to all options

Wildman
03-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Well if you are coming the distance to BC you might as well go to the Queen Charlottes or if that is too much, Gold River in late July early August.

loki
04-01-2007, 08:16 AM
Reliable Guide and Charter does river and saltwater fishing guiding out of Kitimat, contact Ron Wakita. I'll post the number when I find his card again...

Sirocco Ocean Charters makes birth from the Prince Rupert port, but guides the ocean from Alaska border to southern Kitimat region. Contact Tony Rutledge (250) 793-fish

Kalum River Lodge guides the Kitsum Kalum river outside of Terrace. Contact Andrew Rushton, (250) 635-7204

There are many more guides in the region, these are just the ones I can personally vouch for, they'll give you results.

The answer on the best time to go would be best given by your chosen guide.

Woodrow
04-01-2007, 09:08 AM
I went to rupert with a charter, the boats name was Blew By You, big fast boat we fished one day and four of us got are hallibut limit.

Woodrow
04-01-2007, 09:09 AM
Tinney how big is that ling, aroung 60 lbs im guessing

Tinney
04-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Yeah something like that. He wwanted to release it, but the client said hell no, its coming in the boat. So, it came in the boat. What's legal is legal, and when you're paying $9000 to fish for a week, you get what you want I guess, no matter how pointless it might be.

dawn2dusk
04-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Come to the island!

Tofino Weighwest Resort is pretty good operation. July/August is good - get you out to La perouse bank for hali and salmon. Unless you cant handle sea sickness then you better stick to the inside waters.

Skip Nootka Island Fish Camp.

dawn2dusk
04-02-2007, 11:52 AM
o ya another good guide in Tofino is a guy names Shawn run Osprey CHarters http://www.ospray.com/ . He books up quick but it good guy well respected on the water.

Tofino great place to base out off. Lots to do once you get your limit which dont take long.

Creeping Death
04-02-2007, 03:36 PM
tinney is that Jason in the pic

Creeping Death
04-02-2007, 03:38 PM
you dont happen to be Lorne Weeks by chance hey

Wildman
04-02-2007, 03:43 PM
There is no better fishing on Vancouver Island than either out on the northern west coast. Either Quatsino, Zaballos, Gold River (Nootka) or I guess Tofino. That is my opinoin anyway from my experiances. I would actually even stay away from Tofino south. If your coming all this way I would sincearly suggest you go to Gold River.

mtnmax
04-02-2007, 07:45 PM
The first week in May I have my Hali fishing booked with BlueWolf in Victoria. Can't wait! Herd good thing about Roy.
PM me if you want any info.

bogman
04-02-2007, 08:59 PM
I'm Captain aboard the Charlotte Queen the floating lodge on the west side of the Charlottes. Shoot me a pm if your interested in a trip of a life time.

Tinney
04-03-2007, 09:40 AM
tinney is that Jason in the pic

Nope. Buddy guided there last summer, is with a diff outfit this summer....

Lorne1
04-03-2007, 11:20 AM
No not Lorne Weeks.We had a sportsman show here this weekend.We are now booked for Prince Rupert in the middle of June.Thanks for all your help

Wildman
04-03-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm Captain aboard the Charlotte Queen the floating lodge on the west side of the Charlottes. Shoot me a pm if your interested in a trip of a life time.

Now that would have been a good trip.

dawn2dusk
04-04-2007, 10:01 AM
You get hali like this south of Tofino around Swiftsure. SO yah you may want to go north and leave these fish for the locals :wink:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Picture31.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4810)

sub urban bow hunter
04-04-2007, 10:35 AM
holy huge hali dawn2dusk what did that big momma weigh in at?

Do you guide? Or is that pic from a guided trip?

dawn2dusk
04-04-2007, 10:55 AM
yeah I have guided and occasionally still do but not dependent on it anymore. Now its gotta be a good group of guys able to work as team. Had too many aholes in the boat that i wanted to gaff, bonk, slice, and into the crab trap. There was alot of good times and interesting guest too but seasonal work aint for me. I am in postion now where i can choose when, where, how, who, i fish with.

This baby weighed in at 144lb. One mean momma! put up a hell of fight. Over two hours, I had her up to boat 4 times and she would run back to bottom before i could harpoon. had to pull her up from 200ft four times!!! Was absolutly bagged sweating like a pig by time it got in boat. Arms were shacking, could barely move 'em cause so much latic acid build up.

I think half of Victoria gotta piece of that fish.

bogman
04-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Thats a beauty for sure. Last summer our 122# hostess caught a 139# hali in 240' of water on a 10 1/2 mooching rod with 25# test and mooching reel. It gave her a couple hours of burn also.

srupp
04-04-2007, 11:00 PM
STILL trying to afford a halibut day on the west coast and try these amazing ACCURATE reels on a MONSTER barn door !!

We are headed grizzly hunting south of Bella Coola along King Island, we have 3 grizzly tags..:lol: so I am taking crab pots, and halibut gear who knows.....

We are taking a chicken as crab bait in case we cant catch a fish to use as bait....

My twin brother is also guiding off Vancouver Island....he just got a new SILVERSTREAK aluminum boat..but he's too important to help his poor brother go hali fishing...lol..

Steven

Browningmirage
04-05-2007, 09:11 AM
id take more than one chicken...they are pretty ridiculous when it comes to catching crab, or so we found anyway. King Island hey, ive heard theres some pretty ridiculous deer hunting there too, been close, but i dont think ive actually been on it.

MB_Boy
04-05-2007, 09:45 AM
I am sure some grizz entrails in the trap would also work well. Use chicken for day 1 and 2.....and then some scraps from Grizz #1, #2 or #3.:wink:

The remnants of a fish will work well. One other thing that I am going to try in the next couple of weeks is prawn heads....loaded into either a basket or one of the Scotty bait cups.:confused: Apparently they really draw them in. "Details at 11". :-D

Wildman
04-05-2007, 11:52 AM
id take more than one chicken...they are pretty ridiculous when it comes to catching crab, or so we found anyway. King Island hey, ive heard theres some pretty ridiculous deer hunting there too, been close, but i dont think ive actually been on it.

Lots of Grizz too, I used to work on King Island.