PDA

View Full Version : GO AHEAD! Give me the boot...

Mr. Dean
03-27-2007, 04:04 PM
I need a few names of local shops (LM) that stock Danner Boots.

'My guy' isn't able to bring in the style that I crave, because the factory is between runs. I'm wanting the 10" Frontier Extremes. I need to locate a pair ASAP (only have a few days), or else I'll lose my window of opprotunity on ordering in a pair of Canadian's.

Hope you guy's can help.... As it stands right now, I'll be wandering around in my bear feet, stalking my Spring Bear! (no thanks). And I REFUSE to buy another 2 pair of economy class footie wearer's.

Bring it ON!!
Thanks.

BearSniper
03-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Mr Dean

Hub Sports in downtown Abbotsford. Lots of Danners. :lol:

I get 'em there for work.

Happy shopping:)

LOC
03-27-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm pretty sure Specialty Shooting in Langley carries Danners too...

Mr. Dean
03-27-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm pretty sure Specialty Shooting in Langley carries Danners too...

"My Guy"...........

MattB
03-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Save your money and buy some real boots :roll: . Myself, my brother, Dana, and others have had danners blow right out on us. They are not worth the money IMO. Pick up some Lowa GTX, Lowa Sheep hunters, Meindl Himalayans, or Hanwags. You will be happier in the end.

Onesock
03-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Instead of buying yuppie boots as listed why not buy real leather boots from Viberg Boots in Victoria. Tell'em your size and you will have them the next day if shipped by bus. Real leather boots can't be beat!!!

Sitkaspruce
03-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Save your money and buy some real boots :roll: . Myself, my brother, Dana, and others have had danners blow right out on us. They are not worth the money IMO. Pick up some Lowa GTX, Lowa Sheep hunters, Meindl Himalayans, or Hanwags. You will be happier in the end.

Ditto.

Went and bought the Canadians and in one caribou hunt, destroyed them. Go with boots that are better all around. I have not tried the Lowa's but I bought a pair of Kenetrek boots. The best I have ever had on my feet, well worth the price.

Don't cheap out on your feet, as they are the only true thing that can get you from point a to b, unless you road hunt, then buy the danners as they are very comfortable in a truck:lol:

MattB
03-27-2007, 05:33 PM
I have heard good things about Kenetrek boots as well. They seem fairly similar in construction to the Lowas. If you are looking to order a pair of boots online try www.schnees.com (http://www.schnees.com) for the Lowas. There is members on this site with the SheepHunters and i'm sure they have good things to say about them.

Mr. Dean
03-27-2007, 06:07 PM
What kind of $$ for the Vibergs???

MattB
03-27-2007, 07:21 PM
IMO Vibergs make a good workboot, but if you want something for hunting i would seriously look at Meindls, Hanwags, or Lowas. Much more comfortable and LIGHTER than vibergs. People dont realize it but a lighter boot takes a lot less strain off your legs when you walk 15-20km.

BCLongshot
03-27-2007, 07:26 PM
MR DEAN !!!

I and my buddy have the Danner Extremes and they kick...

Go see or phone Dusty at Hub Sports, the best price too !

Tell him Dale sent U.

Mr. Dean
03-27-2007, 08:58 PM
People dont realize it but a lighter boot takes a lot less strain off your legs when you walk 15-20km.
That's why I considered the Frontier over the Canadian Danners. Thanks for making me remember that.

Back to square 1.
I've read that Meindl has lost some of their quality control. I' won't consider them at all.

Who carry's Hanwags and/or Lowas?

Mr. Dean
03-27-2007, 09:00 PM
MR DEAN !!!

I and my buddy have the Danner Extremes and they kick...

Go see or phone Dusty at Hub Sports, the best price too !

Tell him Dale sent U.

I have.... He doesn't have what I'm looking for.

MattB
03-27-2007, 09:14 PM
That's why I considered the Frontier over the Canadian Danners. Thanks for making me remember that.

Back to square 1.
I've read that Meindl has lost some of their quality control. I' won't consider them at all.

Who carry's Hanwags and/or Lowas?

Meindls are still good boots, the issue with Meindl is that SOME pairs have been made with suede, i havent seen a pair for sale that were suede but BCRams did show me the boots he had the issue with. I bought a pair of the Himalayans last summer and they do not have suede leather, they are full grain. They are an excellent boot and 10x better than any Danner out there today! If you do a search online I'm sure you will find that people have had way more issues with Danner boots, than they have had with Meindls.
To get a pair of Hanwags you can order them online, do a quick search for Hanwag. For Lowa, there may be a dealer in the Lower Mainland but i am not too sure. Some guys order them from Schnees (website has already been linked) and that works well too! They will help you in choosing the correct size to order. Also, look into the Kenetrek boots, i have read some good reviews on them! Hope that helps out some!

Stone Sheep Steve
03-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Back to square 1.

While I've seen pics of BCRams "bad boots"(and believe me they are bad!) ,I talked to Larry Fisher in Vernon and he assurred me that he has had no such problems with any of his stock. They seem to be linked to a bad/wrong shipment:confused: .
It wouldn't be an issue for anyone if that boot manufacturer a decent rep here in western Canada:? .

SSS

Sitkaspruce
03-27-2007, 10:01 PM
For Kenetrek you can either go to the us site
www.kenetrek.com (http://www.kenetrek.com)
or their canadian site
http://www.bkkenterprises.com/

They seem expensive, but the canadians are just about the same and will not last as long. Check them out.

By the way I have the ME400. Great boot.

Onesock
03-27-2007, 10:33 PM
Viberg makes great work boots and also make great hunting/hiking boots. The hunting boots are not as heavy as the work boots and are exceptionaly comfortable. The hunter #45 sells for $339.00. These boots have no insulation of any kind but they do make a model with thinsulate.

Mr. Dean
03-28-2007, 12:37 AM
I'm not so sure if I like the soles on the Kenetreks. I prefer stitch down construction.

I'll call Viberg in the morning for specs - I like the idea of a custom, built in Canada boot. But if they weigh as much as my boat anchor... We'll see. I'll also netron the other builders also.

Thanks for the help!

MattB
03-28-2007, 07:52 AM
[quote=Mr. Dean]I'm not so sure if I like the soles on the Kenetreks. I prefer stitch down construction.

[quote]

Why? The only boots i have owned with stitch down construction were the shitty danners....Interesting to note that they too, were the only boot that i had the grip actually start to fall off on the boot! :|. Every other pair of boot i have owned (including cheaper models that were also not stitched down) I havent had this problem on???

Fisher-Dude
03-28-2007, 09:45 AM
I've got 6 years on a pair of Danner Santiams without any issues. They have a lot of miles on them. The best part, they aren't like a block of iron on your feet during the break in period, unlike others that have been mentioned on here.

I had no luck with the combo cordura/leather Danners, but the full grain leather ones have been great boots for me.

Sitkaspruce
03-28-2007, 10:21 AM
Now days the debate over stitch down or glue is moot point. If the boots are made by a reputable company, then you will have no problems. I have had both and both have failed. Now days you get what you pay for. The soles on the Kenetrek are good, I would not worry about them. I believe I will wear out the boot before the sole.

I am not bashing Danners, as I have had some, but for a good hunting boot that will last you a long, long time (if you look after them, which is really one of the key points in boot survival), go with one of the light weight boots that have been recommended here. Well worth the money.

Mr. Dean
03-28-2007, 10:25 AM
[quote=Mr. Dean]I'm not so sure if I like the soles on the Kenetreks. I prefer stitch down construction.

[quote]

Why? The only boots i have owned with stitch down construction were the shitty danners....Interesting to note that they too, were the only boot that i had the grip actually start to fall off on the boot! :|. Every other pair of boot i have owned (including cheaper models that were also not stitched down) I havent had this problem on???
An engine is only good for as long as it can be repaired and kept running. If the pistons are sleeved (liners) you can rebuild it over and over and over again. As long as you do your part (maintinence), it'll do it's part.

Same goes for boots.
I had a pair $hit-kickers custom built in 94 by the Alberta Boot Co. These things have seen ALL KINDS of abuse since day 1. From working in mud filled ditches, to diesel spills, to kicking cow crap. Never a problem (leaks) untill the soles start to flap in the wind. They seem to go good for ~5 years - Again, as long as you do your part. I've sent them in twice for rebuilding and they virtualy come back like new. My experience w/ soles has been the oppisite of yours, I find that stitched stays dryer longer and that shoe cobb's don't like to fart with the molded & glued on sole's.

Granted, them Ca'boy boots ran me an insane amout of $$ back in 94 ($500 ?), but looking at where we're at now, they were cheap... And they STILL remain to be dry.

I guess you go with what you know...

johnes50
03-28-2007, 10:36 AM
Viberg will custom make boots for you to fit your foot specifications and any style and weight you want. They also sell off the rack in-store made boots of all types. It's very hard to beat a good pair of outsole boots made to fit your feet. Can be rebuilt many times.

http://www.viberg.com/

Their catalog listings:

http://www.viberg.com/catalog/default.htm

huntcoop
03-28-2007, 12:22 PM
www.workboot.com (http://www.workboot.com)

Vibergs are custom made here in Victoria, they also sell Danners.

Mr. Dean
03-28-2007, 01:01 PM
I've talked w/ the Viberg people this morning. The lady weighed a pair for me... "Literally a hair under 7 pounds", was her reply with a price tag of $449.00

She didn't have the Danners I'm interested in. Also told me that the Danners I want are among the best out there, for a factory build. She also said to stick to the stitched down variety of boot with whatever brand that I decided to go with, for reasons earlier stated. BUT you have to take care of them...

What's Dayton doing these day's?

Mr. Dean
03-28-2007, 01:07 PM

Still making NICE boots, but noth'n for a hunter.

MattB
03-28-2007, 02:49 PM
I've got 6 years on a pair of Danner Santiams without any issues. They have a lot of miles on them. The best part, they aren't like a block of iron on your feet during the break in period, unlike others that have been mentioned on here.

I had no luck with the combo cordura/leather Danners, but the full grain leather ones have been great boots for me.

Any boot will last 6 years when all you're doing is riding a quad :-) (someone had to say it). Meindls, Hanwags, and Lowas are nothing like a block of iron on your feet during the break in period. I havent ever had blisters or anything from the day i've taken a pair of meindls out of the box....and no i wasnt riding a quad 8) .

JeffR
09-29-2008, 01:49 PM

Just picked up a nice pair of Dayton's (the 10" high Rangers) super cheap. These are my second pair, the first ones got stolen from work. They are uninsulated and wouldn't be good for mountian hikes, but for early season back country deer hunting they work great. I think my last pair were around $350, but I just bought these ones for $100 plus tax. Pretty good price for a general purpose boot.

Jetboater
09-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Any boot will last 6 years when all you're doing is riding a quad :-) (someone had to say it). Meindls, Hanwags, and Lowas are nothing like a block of iron on your feet during the break in period. I havent ever had blisters or anything from the day i've taken a pair of meindls out of the box....and no i wasnt riding a quad 8) .

This is so true, if you walk the cutblocks and ride Quads Danners are great, trust me after years selling Danners I would never dawn a pair on my feet... they are a warranty Nightmare and were always peeling apart...if the stitches dont hold what good are stiched boots...I have Meindls and Lowa sheep hunter GTX and they are the best boots I have ever worn...my Meindls are 6 years Old and I still wear them all the time.had them resoled once due to being worn off.... the Lowas are amazing... Danners are cheap, and you get what you pay for. your feet deserve good boots.

09-29-2008, 10:49 PM
3 vets in Vancouver sells Danners.

I used to have a pair...not for hunting....and hated them. After about a year the sides just gave out. No support whatsoever. Plus they are heavy.

However, if you want to inquire....

http://www.3vets.com/

Mr. Dean
09-29-2008, 11:37 PM
Ahhh, my old boot thread.

I did finally find what I was looking for. A pair of US built Frontier Extremes.

Tall, warm and dry + oh so comfy. I've used them in the spring of 07, that fall (hard) and thus far in 08, I've been pretty easy on them. Most of what I do is hike old skidder and game trails. I don't see any signs of fatigue in them and am happy with what I got.

Good luck in finding another pair..... I swear that I got the last size 11 in N. American stock. Danner JUST moved their fabricating to China when I was shopping. I haven't seen a lot of good (anything) coming out of there. Cheap, yes. Quality, not.