PDA

View Full Version : the future of hunting

Grolar
12-22-2014, 05:16 PM
I'm 19 now and I want to know if I will get the same hunting opportunity on caribou, goats, thinhorn, and moose in 40 years in 6,7a and 7b.... I know its a hard question but I'm worried every thing will be closed for hunting, leh zones everywhere and goats, sheep, moose, and caribou will be leh only.... I know that region 5 is pretty much leh for goats but will the odds just increase over the years in all leh.....will the regulations kinda stay the same for sheep and goats.....what do you guys think about
cheers.

Foxton Gundogs
12-22-2014, 05:20 PM
I'm 19 now and I want to know if I will get the same hunting opportunity on caribou, goats, thinhorn, and moose in 40 years in 6,7a and 7b.... I know its a hard question but I'm worried every thing will be closed for hunting, leh zones everywhere and goats, sheep, moose, and caribou will be leh only.... I know that region 5 is pretty much leh for goats but will the odds just increase over the years in all leh.....will the regulations kinda stay the same for sheep and goats.....what do you guys think about
cheers.

Right now the future of hunting is in your generations hands. You all need to step up and join the fight for the heritage that is being stolen from you and sold down the river to rich foreign trophy hunters. You need to be vigilant and protect the heritage of hunting we have tried to preserve for you. If you will not be denied then your future as hunters looks bright.

Spy
12-22-2014, 05:29 PM
This might be far out there! But ! Should we not be trying to partner with First Nations as we have plenty in common?
If "we" can some how work together and create better habitat & more game would this not work in All hunters best interests! We know we have to work together, if we want to see our younger generations to come experience what we have now. Just throwing this out there more education can only help!

adriaticum
12-22-2014, 05:56 PM
It will be what you make it.

zippermouth
12-22-2014, 06:01 PM
This might be far out there! But ! Should we not be trying to partner with First Nations as we have plenty in common?
If "we" can some how work together and create better habitat & more game would this not work in All hunters best interests! We know we have to work together, if we want to see our younger generations to come experience what we have now. Just throwing this out there more education can only help!

ya this is a great idea. its too bad only one of the two groups is working with conservation in mind.

.300WSMImpact!
12-22-2014, 06:02 PM

bad idea, it will not work out in our favor at any time

Bugle M In
12-22-2014, 06:14 PM
There will be no room for individual user groups.
Either, we are all lumped sum into one group, with wildlife being the main concern and main objective, and we all work around the same numbers etc.
Or
One group will have it all in the end, and sadly wildlife will be at the throat of that group.
Where do you think resident hunters will fall if we stay the way we are.
The largest group, with the loudest voice....and the deepest pockets win, almost always.
I agree in theory to FN traditions, but not how it has been distributed out by the government, and left unattended in a way.
The world is too small to have so many different groups and theories etc.
There has to be a one only policy, that is sustainable and is fair.
But, reality is, life isn't fair....but you can always try.

Grolar
12-22-2014, 06:45 PM
whats you guys thoughts on FN Hunters and big outfitters shooting up all our game for us......I heard that Saskatchewan shut down their guides and no nonresident are allowed to hunt there

325 wsm
12-22-2014, 06:49 PM
In 40 years the BCWF alone will have recruited so many members that everything will be LEH or private. Expect the Fns to be selling resident animals to resident hunters in the future.

digger dogger
12-22-2014, 07:49 PM
ALL WILDLIFE, will be owned by FN, in 20yrs or less.
Then it will a shoot first, count the numbers after all the game is shot to shit.
The gov dont care bout wild game and fish.

Sofa King
12-22-2014, 07:56 PM
in 40 years?
you'll be 59.
I'd be trying to get as many of those hunts in as you can well before then.

Grolar
12-22-2014, 08:06 PM
well I mean I what to get my five animals I always wanted to harvest (stone sheep, goat, grizzly, moose, and caribou) that's my dream before the age 40 hits

Sofa King
12-22-2014, 08:16 PM
well I mean I what to get my five animals I always wanted to harvest (stone sheep, goat, grizzly, moose, and caribou) that's my dream before the age 40 hits

shouldn't be that hard.
move to the Yukon and geterdun all in one year.

dana
12-22-2014, 09:02 PM
IMO if hunters continue to infight and piss and moan about who gets what, the non hunting public will hear the voices of the loud minority that want an end to our hunting heritage and their votes will bring an end to what many of us hold near and dear to our hearts. I am sickened by what I am currently seeing going on. Both sides need a swift kick in the ass. They are pissing away our future by playing politics. Hunters against hunters. Friends are now the foe. The antis in this province are giddy with glee.

smallfry14
12-22-2014, 09:23 PM
Yep, I'm a youth hunter still and I'm also worried about this situation...shit seems to be hittin the fan and I'm not sure I like it. In the end I just hope my kids will get the same hunting opportunities that me, and my parents have had so far

gutpile
12-22-2014, 09:42 PM
Alot of FH own the guideoutfitters !

Phreddy
12-22-2014, 10:14 PM
From what I've seen in the bush and hanging in butcher cooling rooms (pre-season) there won't be much left for us or the folks that brought that meat to the butchers. "Stewards of the wilderness" my a$$.

rides bike to work
12-22-2014, 10:29 PM
Unfortunately the same people on here that say energy development is priority in this province Rd the ones that are screwing the up coming generations out of hinting opportunities that we have now, habitat is number one in conservation and there are many ready to sell out for a retirement find in the near future. I can only wish you will have the opportunities we have now in the near future.

give your head a shake people that are screwing us .

HarryToolips
12-22-2014, 10:39 PM
OP: for now join the fight against GOABC and it'll be a good start toward your long term hunting ambitions..

Cordillera
12-23-2014, 08:43 PM
If you look at the very long term, there have been many times when all was doom and the end was nigh. However, things seemed to work out ok. So don't get overly worked up about any one specific issue and keep you eye on the long term. If you look far into the future there are a few things that are pretty clear

BC will have more people. Projected to be 6.1 million by 2041. They will need land, and highways, and electricity. This means fewer animals in some areas. The good news is that people like to live in a few places (vancouver, vancouver island, okanagan) so some places will it see a lot more pressure but other places will still be quiet. Bottom line for hunters is more people are hard on wildlife. Less habitat and more pressure.
The climate will change and some animals will benefit (black bear, elk, whitetail) while some will lose (caribou, stone sheep, and maybe moose).
First Nations will own more land. Maybe some. Maybe lots. As landowners they will be able to restrict access.

There will still be lots of wildlife, but maybe different species in different places. We are so lucky to have general open season on species like stone sheep today. We should not take it for granted it will continue.

So, if I was young, I would do three things
Get involved. All these changes will require people to help make decisions and guide the changes (land use, regulations, enhancement)
Don't panic and remain rational. There will be lots of animals, even if they are a little different species than today and in different places. We love bison hunting today but that was not an option for my grandfather!
Go for your caribou hunt in the next ten years. There will be lots of elk in the future, but not so many caribou.

Ranger95
12-23-2014, 08:55 PM
cheers.

In 40 years time you will have everything on your list to hunt, that's just as long as you have deep enough pockets to pay for it.

Thats how it works in Africa and Europe - that's how it will end up here - might as well get used to the idea.

GOABC and the First Nations will have it all!

SeaScene
12-23-2014, 10:47 PM
If we do what we've always done, we will get what we've always got. We need nature to hunt. Voting for mainline money\growth political parties means unending destruction of nature. "Growth" is code word for destruction. It gets votes and their paychecks. This generation received a very wild and abundant province from the preceding generation but is flushing it down the drain for gluttonous consumerism. There are box stores for hunting which means the majority of hunters are suckered by the same "gotta have it" marketers creating endless perceived needs most all of which end up in landfill. This is global and seemingly incurable until it self destructs. Experience hunting now so that you can at least say....( I remember when. ) Finite biosphere and infinite consumption is a dog that won't hunt. A mass extinction is underway and most are blithely unaware of it... perhaps denial. http://www.mysterium.com/extinction.html.

olympia
12-23-2014, 11:07 PM
ya this is a great idea. its too bad only one of the two groups is working with conservation in mind.

good thinking...lets shoot the idea down before it even is conceived...awesome..thanks for coming out champ

Grolar
12-24-2014, 02:36 PM
I know eventually its going to come down to money......but will there going to be general open seasons for deer, bear......I can see in 20 or 30 years that region 3 moose will only be leh.....they might close any bull for archery season in the koots maybe.....and sheep and goat will all be leh too maybe....things like that but FNs selling game to residents?

zippermouth
12-24-2014, 03:25 PM
there should be no way for bc residents to loose their hunting opportunities we have today. we will have to adapt and manage accordingly. create more habitat, deactivate roads. whatever it takes. but I am hoping I see a GOS that is similar to what we have today, for my lifetime.

bigneily
12-26-2014, 10:04 PM
Good things come and good things go I guess, 90's the koots had no elk, 2000's they were back, Now it seems that they are on the decline again. I am 42 and lived in Cranbrook for almost 30 yrs I have seen it first hand, I think management has a lot to do with it for sure, Now deer are on the way out also. Game management will be the deciding factor 40 yrs from now.

Argali
12-27-2014, 12:06 AM
If you look back 30 years, there was GOS in Region 3 on bull moose, bull caribou, anterless mule deer. 40 years ago, there was GOS on cow moose and cow caribou - in areas where caribou are now essentially extinct and moose are scarce. On the other hand, elk and whitetail are now appearing where they were absent 30-40 years ago. That trend will likely continue, especially in the southern part of the province: less caribou, moose, mule deer and more elk and whitetail.

My predictions for 30-40 years:

GOS rifle: whitetail, bear, elk, possible shorter mule buck GOS

LEH/archery: moose, sheep, goat, mule deer, elk during rut

LEH in select areas or completely protected: caribou, grizzly

In 40 years, I don't expect GOS on moose, sheep, goat, or caribou anywhere in the province unless hunter numbers and hunter interest plunge, or use of new technology and motorized access are sharply curtailed.

I expect additional "opportunities" to pay for hunting on private deeded/leased land and FN-controlled land.

HarryToolips
12-27-2014, 11:03 AM
If you look back 30 years, there was GOS in Region 3 on bull moose, bull caribou, anterless mule deer. 40 years ago, there was GOS on cow moose and cow caribou - in areas where caribou are now essentially extinct and moose are scarce. On the other hand, elk and whitetail are now appearing where they were absent 30-40 years ago. That trend will likely continue, especially in the southern part of the province: less caribou, moose, mule deer and more elk and whitetail.

My predictions for 30-40 years:

GOS rifle: whitetail, bear, elk, possible shorter mule buck GOS

LEH/archery: moose, sheep, goat, mule deer, elk during rut

LEH in select areas or completely protected: caribou, grizzly

In 40 years, I don't expect GOS on moose, sheep, goat, or caribou anywhere in the province unless hunter numbers and hunter interest plunge, or use of new technology and motorized access are sharply curtailed.

I expect additional "opportunities" to pay for hunting on private deeded/leased land and FN-controlled land.
I definitely agree with the motorized access part you mentioned...I think if we cut down access, our hunting will be better....if you think about it, there were twice as many hunters in BC in the 80's, but far less access...hence why hunting was for the most part better then now...we need a certain amount of logging spur road de-activated!!!!

Wild one
12-27-2014, 12:53 PM
IMO if hunters continue to infight and piss and moan about who gets what, the non hunting public will hear the voices of the loud minority that want an end to our hunting heritage and their votes will bring an end to what many of us hold near and dear to our hearts. I am sickened by what I am currently seeing going on. Both sides need a swift kick in the ass. They are pissing away our future by playing politics. Hunters against hunters. Friends are now the foe. The antis in this province are giddy with glee.

this is the truth ^^

Till the greed is put aside and hunters learn to have give and take between all groups things will go down hill

Grolar
12-27-2014, 01:24 PM
what about blacktailed deer?....will they be a shortage

Wild one
12-27-2014, 04:43 PM
I would see regulation issues more then game shortage in the future

Don't stress just stand up for what you think is right

Jagermeister
12-27-2014, 06:21 PM
Grolar and others in the same age category.

Your future hunting lies in your hands.
You will have to join into the fray to preserve the opportunity and I would suggest that you do it now. It will take a united front by the resident hunters of BC to endure.

The resident hunter has no friends other than resident hunters. You cannot rely on First Nations or the guiding interests because they want to take your opportunities away and then sell them back to you. They have to be resisted.

Guides and First Nations are in cahoots. An example of this is moose in Region 5 before the recent decline.

The moose were grossly mismanaged after the introduction of LEH in Region 7. When Region 7 went to LEH, those that frequented Region 7 turned to Region 5 and the liberal 2 week open GOS for moose. The moose population were decimated by the mid '90s necessitating a curtailment of the GOS for conservation measures. By the mid 2000's the moose population rebounded so that the government introduced an immature bull season. This was short lived because the guides enlisted the First Nations to demonstrate at the wildlife branch office in Williams Lake forcing the government to rescind the immature bull opening. Do you get the picture?

I reiterate, THE GUIDES AND FIRST NATIONS ARE NOT OUR FRIENDs. We may scratch their backs, but they will not scratch ours unless they are wanting something that we have and they wish to take it away.

Realize this. With a united front, resident hunters can and will prevail. But being united means that you will have to have a vehicle or organization that will be your force. You will have to drive it. That organization lives today, that organization is the British Columbia Wildlife Federation. Never mind those naysayer that decry that the BCWF is ineffective. Ask them what they are doing to protect their present and future hunting opportunities. The answer is nothing aside from beaking off here and that is about as effective as finger wiping their ass after a big download.

We have sacrificed in the past, that is how the guides foisted the LEH upon us which continues to be our sacrificial collar. We have sacrificed enough, time for some others to pay the piper!

Sure we are not all going to be on the same page at once, but by consensus we can arrive on that page and then march united for our cause.

Think about this. The resident hunter numbers have again surpassed 100,000. The total number of First Nations in this province number approximately 200,000. Our numbers are ½ that of the First Nation, but that makes us the second largest lobby group for our interests. That is a sizable group that the government cannot ignore.

Bottom line, join your locally BCWF affiliated fish and game club. Get involved and makes sure your issues get aired. Sometimes it might not please you, but more and more will eventually get the picture. Champion the cause!

M.Dean
12-27-2014, 06:45 PM
ya this is a great idea. its too bad only one of the two groups is working with conservation in mind. Ya, I just love the way the "One" group proved this with the way they looked after the Buffalo"! True "Conservation" at it's finest!

:razz:

zippermouth
12-27-2014, 06:54 PM
Ya, I just love the way the "One" group proved this with the way they looked after the Buffalo"! True "Conservation" at it's finest!

:razz:

I guess some will never learn from their mistakes. some will.

Daybreak
12-27-2014, 07:17 PM
I suggest that all members of this forum read Jagermiesters post as many times as needed to understand what he is saying. Truer words were never spoken. We have to act now .

We have to utilize our numbers.

We have to establish control.

We have to be heard.

This whole fiasco was meant to be quietly passed into existence without our notice. Only in the fall, when we load our rigs and fill our tanks, buy our tags and arrive at our destinations will we find that our opportunities have been sold out.

A special request to those here that do not post... please take the time to sign the petitions at the bottom of my page and voice your concerns to your MLA. It only takes a minute and this time next year you can sit back, smile and say "We beat the *******s".

Grolar and others in the same age category.

Your future hunting lies in your hands.
You will have to join into the fray to preserve the opportunity and I would suggest that you do it now. It will take a united front by the resident hunters of BC to endure.

The resident hunter has no friends other than resident hunters. You cannot rely on First Nations or the guiding interests because they want to take your opportunities away and then sell them back to you. They have to be resisted.

Guides and First Nations are in cahoots. An example of this is moose in Region 5 before the recent decline.

The moose were grossly mismanaged after the introduction of LEH in Region 7. When Region 7 went to LEH, those that frequented Region 7 turned to Region 5 and the liberal 2 week open GOS for moose. The moose population were decimated by the mid '90s necessitating a curtailment of the GOS for conservation measures. By the mid 2000's the moose population rebounded so that the government introduced an immature bull season. This was short lived because the guides enlisted the First Nations to demonstrate at the wildlife branch office in Williams Lake forcing the government to rescind the immature bull opening. Do you get the picture?

I reiterate, THE GUIDES AND FIRST NATIONS ARE NOT OUR FRIENDs. We may scratch their backs, but they will not scratch ours unless they are wanting something that we have and they wish to take it away.

Realize this. With a united front, resident hunters can and will prevail. But being united means that you will have to have a vehicle or organization that will be your force. You will have to drive it. That organization lives today, that organization is the British Columbia Wildlife Federation. Never mind those naysayer that decry that the BCWF is ineffective. Ask them what they are doing to protect their present and future hunting opportunities. The answer is nothing aside from beaking off here and that is about as effective as finger wiping their ass after a big download.

We have sacrificed in the past, that is how the guides foisted the LEH upon us which continues to be our sacrificial collar. We have sacrificed enough, time for some others to pay the piper!

Sure we are not all going to be on the same page at once, but by consensus we can arrive on that page and then march united for our cause.

Think about this. The resident hunter numbers have again surpassed 100,000. The total number of First Nations in this province number approximately 200,000. Our numbers are ½ that of the First Nation, but that makes us the second largest lobby group for our interests. That is a sizable group that the government cannot ignore.

Bottom line, join your locally BCWF affiliated fish and game club. Get involved and makes sure your issues get aired. Sometimes it might not please you, but more and more will eventually get the picture. Champion the cause!

Ozone
12-27-2014, 07:22 PM
40 years.........you will be living on Mars

gone hunting
12-27-2014, 10:14 PM
In 40 years I'll be 102 (dead) that's ok....Hunting in BC?....I'm willing to bet that if you want a tag you will have to buy it from those special Canadians that our politicians call "first nations". The stewards of the wilderness... that have been slaughtering cow moose for years,
and blame it on the "white pricks" when they take their heads out of their ceremonial ass's long enough to notice the moose are all gone.

Ferenc
01-14-2015, 11:25 AM
what about blacktailed deer?....will they be a shortage
Not on your life.....some are even taking up to the city.

Elkhound
01-14-2015, 01:22 PM
all discussions can now be found here

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?113958-Allocation-threads-and-debates