PDA

View Full Version : looking to purchase some decoys....?

lip_ripper00
12-20-2014, 02:15 PM
I am looking to start buying some decoys, floating snow geese and mallard. Who makes a good product? Looking on line mixed reviews on almost anything I have seen. What do the local hunters use?

Cdn-Redneck
12-20-2014, 02:23 PM
I have flambeau storm front. They are really cheap and the paint holds up ok. I also have some hardcore decoys, paint is much better but very thin plastic. Had one sink and lost it and another with a crack and half full of water. I was goin to try cabelas northern flight foam filled decoys and see how they do. Avian X make good decoys. I guess what you have to weigh in on is $30 flambeau per doz. Vs. $100 per doz decoys. I bought cheap flambeau to start out with and am now adding better decoys to what I have now. I use full body field decoys way more than my floaters.

Ranger95
12-20-2014, 02:40 PM
I am looking to start buying some decoys, floating snow geese and mallard. Who makes a good product? Looking on line mixed reviews on almost anything I have seen. What do the local hunters use?

How many are you looking for Steve?

Moe.JKU
12-20-2014, 04:08 PM
I have been using the tanglefree decoys for the last year 12 mallards 12 hens, paints lasted really well. My friend uses the Flambeau stormfront, and we usually mix them all together with good results.

ZacNap
12-20-2014, 08:16 PM
I use Avian-x, Cabelas Northern Flights and Stormfront. The Avian-x are my favorite they look more realistic and the paint holds up better

marblewoodhead
12-20-2014, 09:34 PM
I've looking at getting a bunch of floater decoys and the cheapest priced decoys FA standard mallards for $39.99 a dozen,don't know how good they are,heard they are on the small size ,been to Canadian tire and looked at flambeau decoys and put back on the self and walked out of the store.I thought the plastic really thin.they make the old carrylite decoys look great.

Dutch Ppoacher
12-21-2014, 08:04 PM
I have used storm fronts to start out and adding better brands 6 at a time for floaters. I think it looks more natural to have a mix anyways as no two birds are exactly the same
i do think GHG, Avian x and Dakota and a more real look, but the dakotas looking more like mini geese

lip_ripper00
12-21-2014, 08:18 PM
Anyone have northern flight decoys? Good, bad?

ZacNap
12-21-2014, 09:09 PM
Anyone have northern flight decoys? Good, bad?
Great decoys not as nice as the avian-x but still very durable and realistic