PDA

View Full Version : turning nocks

tailgate77
03-21-2007, 08:23 PM
I want to spin the nocks on my carbon arrows a few degrees. The one hen vane is being interfered with by the rest, and I would like it pointing straight down. The rest is a two prong type. I would like to try turning a couple but I don't want to break them. What's the best way to do so?

bsa30-06
03-21-2007, 08:30 PM
I had one that wasn't quite straight , so i carefully heated it up and turned it to where i wanted it.Worked fine have not had any problems.

Eagle1
03-21-2007, 09:02 PM
On most carbon arrows the nocks are not glued in, there is a nock tool for turning such nocks, your archery shop should have one but if not pm me your address and I'll send you one. Some use their bowstring and others use a screwdriver or the likes, but that puts pressure on the " nock ears " and puts them out of aline or stesses them to the point where they break on the shot, thus dryfire. DO NOT I repeat DO NOT heat the nock as it changes the strenght of the plastic and will cause a broken nock at the most inopertune time and a dryfireing of the bow, give it time, it will happen.Nocks are cheap if you have to take it right off and put on a new one in the right place.If the nock on your carbon is a little loose and keeps moving put a dab of RUBBER CEMENT on it, turn it to the right spot and let dry, or take a plastic shopping bag put it around the base of the nock, push it into the shaft, trim off the extra, volia tight fitting nock that wom't turn.Aluminum tapered shafts, cut off the nock,throw away, glue on a new one in the right place, never reuse these nocks . their cheap, not worth a dryfire or worse.

puppychow
03-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Do Not Heat The Nocks< Go To A Archery Store And Buy A Nock Adjusting Tool For About $1.00.

Bow Walker
03-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Good advice here tailgate......let us know how your fix works for you.

tailgate77
03-29-2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks Eagle1 I recieved the nock tools today. I will give them a try tommorrow. I was out the other day and I am sighted in at 30 yards. I just have to work on my groups. 40 yards will have to wait for a while. I don't want to get in over my head. This goddamn sport is so addictive.

Bow Walker
03-30-2007, 08:21 AM
In a pinch you can use a flat bladed screwdriver for the job - providing the nocks aren't glued in.

Bow Walker
04-06-2007, 08:54 PM
In a pinch you can use a flat bladed screwdriver for the job - providing the nocks aren't glued in.
:eek: I take that back! :frown: Don't use a screwdriver! A pair of pliers works far better. Just be careful not to squeeze too tight.

Eagle1
04-06-2007, 09:56 PM
:eek: I take that back! :frown: Don't use a screwdriver! A pair of pliers works far better. Just be careful not to squeeze too tight.
You know what always use the right tool for the job and you will never have any trouble with things breaking when they shouldn't.

Just like using a little swiss army knife on an out of control tomato plant!! LOLOLOL :evil:

BowSitter
04-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Just like using a little swiss army knife on an out of control tomato plant!! LOLOLOL :evil:[/quote]

TOO FUNNY!! Bill you do have a sense of humor:mrgreen: :mrgreen: LOL!!

Bow Walker
04-07-2007, 08:12 AM
Yuk, yuk, yuk..........

tailgate77
04-07-2007, 05:44 PM
Got out today with a friend who also shoots. Used those nock wrenchs. Super easy and I think it made a difference. I put four arrows out of seven into a beer can at 20 yards. Can't wait to get out again.

Bow Walker
04-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Careful with the 'pass-thrus' on cans Blayne. Rips fletching off slick as a whistle.

tailgate77
04-08-2007, 08:03 AM
I had a foam target behind, so no pass throughs. I am not going to make a habit of it. We also tried some long shots, sixty yards up a hill. Neat to see how the arrow flies like that. Definetly not in a hunting situation, but fun all the same.

Bow Walker
04-08-2007, 08:32 AM
I had a foam target behind, so no pass throughs. I am not going to make a habit of it. We also tried some long shots, sixty yards up a hill. Neat to see how the arrow flies like that. Definetly not in a hunting situation, but fun all the same.
You're right about it not being a hunting shot - but in my opinion a person needs to do these kind of shots just to see how the equipment reacts and responds.

Shooting at 60 - 100 yards at the range will show your arrow trajectory, and also how to aim at those long distances that are definitely 'out of bow range.'

You'll find silly/fun shots like those at some 3D shoots - so if you are familiar with your equipment - you have an advantage over the guys/gals who only practice out to 40 - 50 yards.

The more you know the capabilities of your equipment the better shooter you will be. It's all about practice - and who says practice has to be dull??

tailgate77
04-08-2007, 10:00 AM
Yeah It was my best shoot so far. Trying different shots that I wouldn't do without encouragement from my friends. I tried to shoot at about 80 yards, and the target was about 25 yards vertically below me. Very hard. I only hit the target butt once in four shots. Thats the only way to learn is to miss a bunch and adjust. My groups at 20 yards are about three inches now, but at 30 they are probably 8 and I can see some fishtailing at that distance. The tuning never stops.

Bigbear
04-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Any Bow shop should do it for you or give you an arrow Nock tool for Nothing. we get them evy time you get a bunch of arrows. I know I have about 30 0f them around. Got to help out the Business you know. A Happy customer is a Repeat Customer:).