PDA

View Full Version : corkscrew arrow

Shop Lord
03-21-2007, 09:37 AM
I've got an arrow that corkscrews in the air and hits low. I've had alum. do that when bent but this is a brand new carbon. The vanes look good and I'm pretty sure its not bent being carbon; any ideas?

willyqbc
03-21-2007, 09:55 AM
Is it just one arrow doing this?? If so unfortunatley it could just be the arrow. Every now and then you will run into an arrow that just won't group with the rest, that is why it is a good idea to number your arrows. If it is an arrow with a feild point you can try replacing the nock, re-fletching, pull insert and swap ends....if none of that works then your probably SOL. If it is a broadhead tipped arrow the insert was probably not installed square so you can pull the insert and re-install.

Hope this helps
Chris

Bow Walker
03-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Numbering your arrows is one of the first things that you should do. It allows you to keep track of the flight characteristics of specific arrows and to isolate problems.

I had an arrow that was doing the same thing. I noticed it at the last 3D shoot (in Nanaimo). Yesterday I went to the range and verified that it was the same arrow - #6 and I was able to find the problem. It was me.

It was one of my first attempts at fletching my own arrows and what I had inadvertently done was to not get the vanes in their proper place around the circumference of the shaft.

Sure, the helical setting was right - but the placement was off. The vanes were not equi-distant in their spacing. The result? A noticeable corkscrew in flight. It was only noticeable at distances past 30 yds though. But that was enough to make me rip off the offending vane and re fletch the shaft.

Might be that this is your problem.

Eagle1
03-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Is it just one arrow doing this?? If so unfortunatley it could just be the arrow. Every now and then you will run into an arrow that just won't group with the rest, that is why it is a good idea to number your arrows. If it is an arrow with a feild point you can try replacing the nock, re-fletching, pull insert and swap ends....if none of that works then your probably SOL. If it is a broadhead tipped arrow the insert was probably not installed square so you can pull the insert and re-install.

Hope this helps
Chris
could be the arrow, I've had a bent carbon. you could also try tunning the nock one third { to the next fletch } to see if it shoots, if not turn it again one third , if it still don't shoot into the group, it is proable the arrow as Willy said.
Should always # your arrows, then group tune them to make sure they all fly in to the same group,makes it easier to pick out the flyer/s if its the same # all the time.

Gateholio
03-21-2007, 09:29 PM
Stop opening your beers wiht your arrows :)