PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Oven cooking

youngfellla
03-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Any of you guys or gals cook with the old cast iron dutch ovens out in camp?

I hardly see them used anywhere. I learned to cook with them when I was pretty young. I usually take one along and make up some camp biscuits, corn bread, etc. Nice to have a hot biscuit with your meal after a long day of hunting.8-)

270WIN
03-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Any of you guys or gals cook with the old cast iron dutch ovens out in camp?

I hardly see them used anywhere. I learned to cook with them when I was pretty young. I usually take one along and make up some camp biscuits, corn bread, etc. Nice to have a hot biscuit with your meal after a long day of hunting.8-)

I have a dutch oven but i have not used yet. if you have any good reciepes i intrested. for quike easy meals

LOC
03-20-2007, 03:25 PM
I have one and use it fairly often, usually to do up a roast and potatoes, or a good chilli.
Tried baking in it with out too much luck, it always seems to burn on the outside and be raw inside...

sealevel
03-20-2007, 03:31 PM
my wife and i cook on one all the time.we were at a black powder shoot in merritt on easter weekend about 6 years ago . i have a 22 foot teepee anyway my wife cooked a complete turkey dinner with stuffing taters and all the trimmings in 3 dutch ovens. she can bake a cake, bread just about anything in one.

mark
03-20-2007, 06:32 PM
One of my moose/elk camp buds, brings one every year, it works awesome! The trick to cooking not burning, is dont set it in the coals! Drag a few coals away from the fire, set the oven on it, put some more coals on top of it! Check the food periodically, monitor the heat situation, add or remove coals as necessary! It takes a little trial and error yes!

mtnmax
03-20-2007, 07:51 PM
Never seen one,,sounds good though. When you guys camping around Kelowna so I can come see one and then stay for supper?

Murder
03-20-2007, 08:03 PM
For some reason, I thought this thread might be about something else. My mistake.

mtnmax
03-20-2007, 08:06 PM
For some reason, I thought this thread might be about something else. My mistake.

Get your mind out of the gutter!! This is about buns in the oven.

deerhunter
03-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Cookin at home or in the field they are great,I use mine above the fire with a few coals on top in the field,or in a coleman oven,Good eats.
Rick:lol:

MichelD
03-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Line one with lots of cabbage leaves, some onion and fill it with whole plucked gouse, maybe pieces of apple and onion in the birds, basic salt and pepper on the birds, add a bit of wine or beer, cover with more cabbage, and bury in the coals until done.

echo
03-23-2007, 06:51 AM
Where to start --- Dutch oven cooking is awesome! If you use BBQ briquets -- each briquet is equal to about 15 to 20 degrees of heat -- for baking and cooking you need heat on the top and bottom (that is why the lids are flat with ridges around them). The 'ovens' have legs so they may sit on top of coals/briquets. I have a small 'oven' with a domed lid and no legs that I use in my oven at home. Roasts come out fork tender in 'ovens' -- just remember to watch the fluid level and keep topping it up so the roast does not burn. Stew, chili, & soup are great in 'ovens' also. You can stack 'ovens' for cooking multiple items (coals below 'oven', coals on 'oven' lid, next 'oven', coals on lid). We have an old fry pan to sit the 'oven' in and contain the coals. If using briquets, a chimney for lighting coals is handy. Welders gloves, long tongs, and a lid lifter are very useful. The lid can be flipped over and used as a griddle to make pancake, quesadillas, grilled sandwhiches. Cleaning is simple -- scrap excess food off, use minimal soap and water, wipe dry, season with a coating of oil so it is ready to go next time.
-a fav at Scout Camps is packaged scalloped potatoes, or potatoes au gratin and cubed ham -- mix all together and bake till tatoes are cooked.
-have also seen Venturers (14 to 18 yr olds, level above Scouts) cook a chicken in a pop (seems some will do anything with a can of pop!!! lol -- guess other canned beverages could be used as well -- also could substitue grouse, or rabbit for chicken).
-a couple of years ago Cowichan Bowmen fed 76+ people with dutch oven roast beef dinner at the VI 3D shoot!!! All beef was cooked in a large BBQ with dutch ovens!
-try any of your fav recipes -- also google dutch oven cooking to confirm the heat amount for briquets and for pointers on what to do how! Once your 'ovens' are seasoned -- you will love what you can produce in them!
-ooops just about forgot about seasoning new 'ovens' --seems they are coated with a wax-like substance -- so they need to be scrubbed with hot water and soap, then place in a cold oven --put the pot upside down and prop the lid beside it -- put a pan underneath to catch anything that the scrubbing missed. Bring the oven up to 350 to 400 F and then turn oven off and let cool down. When cool wiped all surface with a light coating of vegetable oil (don't use animal based fats as they will go rancid!) Depending how long between uses, you may have to heat your 'oven' to remove old oil and reseason before use.
~g'luck and enjoy, echo

David Heitsman
04-03-2007, 06:01 PM
I take mine along most trips. I have a 12" Lodge. I have several books and videos on their use.

Normally I place 3 cornish game hens inside after stuffing them loosely with aromatics like hot peppers and onions and carrots. I like to put at least one jalapeno or similar in at least one of them.I drop maybe a cup and a half of chicken stock in with them and place the briquets above and below the oven.

After about an hour they are done and I will have fried a bag of that frozen stuffing to with the hens.

A spinach salad to round it out and you have a meal that gets requested year after year.

For desert there is usually a berry pie from that place north of Cache Creek to top things up.

swamper
04-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Cookin at home or in the field they are great,I use mine above the fire with a few coals on top in the field,or in a coleman oven,Good eats.
Rick:lol:

I'm curious as to your reference about a coleman oven. I've been looking for some type of outdoor oven. Can you elaborate.

frenchbar
04-03-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm curious as to your reference about a coleman oven. I've been looking for some type of outdoor oven. Can you elaborate.cabelas sells the stainless ovens for 199.00 us.the oven is 10 inches wide 16 inches long and 8 inches high and has 2 burners on top.

Schmaus
04-10-2007, 01:04 PM
http://images.rei.com/media/748783.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:myGoto(largeFeaturedImgLink);)I seen this one at wholesale sports and I think it was around $60 i think it sits on top of the propane stoves. I was thinking of getting it but I don't know how much I would use it.

interceptor
04-10-2007, 04:01 PM
G' Day Lads,

In Australia we call them camp ovens (yeah I know,,,,,,, original eh).

Now days I use a light weight version we call a Bedourie, they are made from spun steel, heaps lighter but still cook beautifully. I use them on our Mitchell River trips (14 days on a river in canoes fully self reliant while fishing for Barramundi and bowhunting for pigs, great fun 8-) )

We cook everything from fish (you can turn the lid over on a Bedourie and use it as a frying pan), stews, roasts and even bread and damper.

As mentioned already the trick is heat control, we pull coals out of a fire, place the oven on top of the coals then add more coals to the lid. Keep an eye on it and adjust as needed.

Cheers Noel

Bowzone_Mikey
05-27-2007, 02:33 PM
My fav dutch oven Recipe:

I call It
Alberta Fried Whitetail

Cut two pounds of venison into pieces that can range from small steaks to large stew chunks.
Coat each piece with flour (it takes about a quarter cup) seasoned to taste with salt / pepper and any other spices you might like .... I made 2 batches ..one fer wife and kid and one fer me ...I threw in some Cayanne pepper and some other stuff as well
Brown the meat in a hot, oiled Dutch oven. (a well greased Iron Pan would be great at this too)

Then add:
5 stalks of celery (diced)
3 small onions (diced)
2 cups of stewed tomatoes
2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce
Cover and simmer until the meat is tender.
Add a tablespoon or two of water during cooking as needed to preserve moisture. The longer it simmers (within reason) the better the flavor.
Serve over fried potatoes. I suppose this would be good over Rice or some sort of Pasta as well.

Chuck
05-27-2007, 06:33 PM
I was in Osoyoos on Frday (M25) and saw some decent looking cast iron ones at the Fields store for 15 bucks, of course made in China no doubt. Probably about 14" dia. and 10" deep with lid, for use in campfire.

kishman
05-27-2007, 07:46 PM
http://images.rei.com/media/748783.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:myGoto(largeFeaturedImgLink);)I seen this one at wholesale sports and I think it was around $60 i think it sits on top of the propane stoves. I was thinking of getting it but I don't know how much I would use it.

A good friend of mine has this one, it makes great biscuts/bannock, we've never tried muffins (as pictured) but why not??

km

Phoneguy
05-27-2007, 09:27 PM
Then there is the dutch oven when you let one loose in bed, lift the covers and shove your wifes head in. Usually a good time to run!:-D

Sideofabarn
09-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Ah yes, the mighty camp oven. Back in the day, my buddies and I would get wallabies and damn they cooked up well in the camp oven! I used to layer the animal with some bacon strips, and maybe some fresh herbs. Now I'm hungry again...

Derek_Erickson
09-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Slips under the sleeping bag, and lets one rip

DUTCH OVEN

partsman
09-18-2007, 10:37 PM

Got one of these, I have not used it yet, but it has been in the family for years, it is a coleman and it is supposed to be really good, one day I will try it myself.