PDA

View Full Version : ORV Registration

SPEYMAN
11-13-2014, 03:55 PM
BCWF Welcomes New Outdoor Recreational Vehicle Policy

BCWF recently issued a news release in support of the Province of B.C.'s new regulations on Outdoor Recreational Vehicles (ORVs) including ATVs, snowmobiles, dirtbikes, and side-by-sides.

BCWF believes that the new regulations will help curtail irresponsible ORV use, and we would like to encourage all of our members to register their vehicles when the process becomes available on Monday, November 17th.

ORV owners will have until June 1st, 2015 to complete the one-time process, which includes a $48 fee and the issuing of a number plate for the vehicle. The process has been integrated into the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia's (ICBC) motor vehicle registry, meaning that ORV owners can register at any of the more than 900 ICBC insurance agents in the province.

BCWF President George Wilson welcomed the new registration process, and encouraged all BCWF Members to register their vehicle to register well ahead of the end of the grace period in June: “BCWF welcomes this new legislation, which we hope will result in a reduction in the number of people operating ORVs in an irresponsible manner. We are encouraging our membership to register their vehicles as soon as possible, well ahead of the end of the grace period in June 2015.”

russm86
11-13-2014, 05:00 PM
I'm all for trying to stop the idiots out there, unfortunately, only the law abiding people who are already respectful of the lands and habitats etc are the ones that will obey the new rules and regulations and when does it become too much as far as rules and regulations (ie over governing)? I will have to see all the details on this subject once they have figured them all out, last I had heard last week they were still working on many of the details and said they wouldn't have it all worked out until June, but if I find they are abusing their powers and taking away from the point of being able to access the outdoors and the ability to use the different equipment and the BCWF is still supporting them, then I may have to stop supporting the BCWF.

New Bow Hunter
11-13-2014, 05:15 PM
"which we hope will result in a reduction in the number of people operating ORVs in an irresponsible manner."
Hope is cheap, indulge freely.
I am not sure how plating our ORV's is going to stop people from operating in an irresponsible manner.
They say it is a one time fee, which I don't trust.
From my information that I have gathered no one can tell me if it is my plate or goes with the ORV if it is sold.

Dannybuoy
11-13-2014, 05:23 PM
"which we hope will result in a reduction in the number of people operating ORVs in an irresponsible manner."
I am not sure how plating our ORV's is going to stop people from operating in an irresponsible manner.
From my information that I have gathered no one can tell me if it is my plate or goes with the ORV if it is sold.

If I recall ..it is a one time fee and then a yearly fee after that .... if the plate did go with the atv it would then be reregistered with the new owner ... for a fee
yup sounds like a money grab to me .

Ranger95
11-13-2014, 06:38 PM
Time to write to your local politician and vehemently condem this money grabbing bullshit - tell them you feel so strongly about it you may even cast your ballot for the other side to punish them for it.

Scare the crap out of them, and let's see how long they try and fleece us!

Remember that PST stunt they tried pulling sometime ago - Funny how that turned out eh? All it needs is enough people complaining and this BS will disapear down the same drain hole.

ruger#1
11-13-2014, 06:54 PM
Time to write to your local politician and vehemently condem this money grabbing bullshit - tell them you feel so strongly about it you may even cast your ballot for the other side to punish them for it.

Scare the crap out of them, and let's see how long they try and fleece us!

Remember that PST stunt they tried pulling sometime ago - Funny how that turned out eh? All it needs is enough people complaining and this BS will disapear down the same drain hole. yes good idea. Then when the. ndp get in,Then they can make more parks and rape us some more.

hotstuff
11-13-2014, 07:18 PM
Yep, we are from the government and we are here to help you.:cry:

Ed George
11-13-2014, 09:20 PM
This is a one time registration and not an annual event. The BCWF quit the Outdoor Rec Council over the registration issue, they wanted annual registration with a fee going to 3rd parties for trail building and maintenance, we only supported the one time registry. If you have had your orv since before 2010 you do not have to prove that the taxes have been paid and the plate stays with the orv if you sell it as it currently does with snowmobiles. Please also remember that the agents doing the registration are being paid for their work as well as the people at ICBC.

srupp
11-13-2014, 10:18 PM
Is there an ongoing annual fee?
Steven rupp

One Shot
11-14-2014, 12:53 AM
Steven rupp

No there is not. One time fee.

But like any other thing the government operates it could change sometime in the future or an increase in the one time fee...

laredo318
11-14-2014, 07:12 AM
Steven rupp
Not AS OF NOW!!!!
Tomorrow? Next year???
My guess is probably.

Ed George
11-14-2014, 09:27 AM
The fee is one time for one owner. If the orv is sold it gets transferred the same as a car or motorcycle and then tax and transfer fee are applicable. The BCWF has been involved in this from the start and would only sign off on the one time only fee.

Who represents you, the BCWF represents me.

BuckEye
11-14-2014, 10:23 AM
. If you have had your orv since before 2010 you do not have to prove that the taxes have been paid.

From what I read on the ministry of finance notice to off road vehicle owners (rev 2014), you are not correct. You will be required to provide proof that PST was paid on any registering unit regardless of model year or purchase date. If you can't provide documentation proving YOU paid PST, you will be required to pay the outstanding taxes. If it was bought after 2010 you pay taxes at time of registration. If you bought prior to 2010, you are still going to have to pay, but through forms and dealing directly with the taxation branch, not ICBC. You have to register so will be on the books as owing. A clip from the taxation branch PDF below:

ORVs Acquired Before April 1, 2013 For ORVs acquired at a private sale in BC on or after July 1, 2010 and before April 1, 2013, or at a private sale outside BC but within Canada and brought into BC on or after July 1, 2010 and before April 1, 2013, the 12% PST applies. If you are required to register the ORV, ICBC will collect PST at the time of registration if PST has not yet been paid. Otherwise, you are required to self-assess the PST payable using the Casual Remittance Return (FIN 405) and include a copy of the bill of sale with your payment. You may be required to pay the provincial portion of the HST on that ORV if the applicable tax has not been paid for ORVs acquired:  at a sale that is a taxable supply from a GST registrant (e.g. ORV dealer) outside BC but within Canada and brought into BC on or after July 1, 2010 and before April 1, 2013, or  brought into BC from outside Canada on or after July 1, 2010 and before April 1, 2013. For more information, please contact us (see Further Information below). For ORVs acquired or brought into BC before July 1, 2010, the 7% provincial sales tax (SST) applies. You must self-assess the tax payable using the Casual Remittance Return (FIN 405) and include a copy of the bill of sale with your payment. Please note: If you purchased an ORV in BC or brought it into BC before July 1, 2010, and did not pay PST at the time of purchase or bringing it into BC, you will not be required to pay the PST at the time of registration. Instead, you should contact us to arrange payment of the PST. Further

BuckEye
11-14-2014, 10:32 AM
There is also a larger thread going on this is the Open Chat forum for those that would like to do more reading from members.

2stroked
11-14-2014, 10:35 AM
Typical tax grab. You can bet there will be more and more fees every year. For example, can someone tell me why I have to buy a plate for my snowmobile that has been registered and had plates on it since 1997?

hotstuff
11-14-2014, 07:11 PM
Talked to my insurance agent today, they were actually taking the online course now so they will be ready when it goes live, went through some of the course while there, it does not look good in the long term.
costs will go up and it is set up so it can be made an annual renewal, not a one time shot like this introductory version.

ruger#1
11-14-2014, 07:22 PM
I paid the gst and pst. When I bought my quad. Now if I have to pay that again. Then the BCWF. Has just lost another member. This is not in the interest of me ,or is it of the members. Maybe they are getting a kick back.

hotstuff
11-14-2014, 07:31 PM
Well I have one and I have nothing on it, I got it when a brother died, so that complicates things.

srupp
11-14-2014, 07:36 PM
Hmmm will be contacting icbc..already pai gst or pst in 2007 ..not going to repay that..sound like choking sounds by bcwf...complete money grab. Period.
Steven

Frango
11-14-2014, 07:44 PM
So I bought the quad I have now in 2011. The quad was a consigned bike to a dealer. The bill of sale shows I paid HST..I assume HST equates with PST so I should be ok but who knows. I was in favor of registration but now that I may owe hundreds of dollars may have changed my mind .Common sense tells me its a good idea having registration but spending money??? Funny how that works.

Fido
11-14-2014, 07:52 PM
TAX GRAB just what we want right lol

SPEYMAN
11-14-2014, 08:21 PM
The fee is one time for one owner. If the orv is sold it gets transferred the same as a car or motorcycle and then tax and transfer fee are applicable. The BCWF has been involved in this from the start and would only sign off on the one time only fee.

Who represents you, the BCWF represents me.

Would you please explain,"would only sign off on the one time only fee" your last sentence, and where you obtained that information.

srupp
11-14-2014, 08:34 PM
Hmm pretty mixed messages..
Srupp

hotstuff
11-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Mine is 28 years old and I have no paper on it and the dealer is long gone I imagine.

SPEYMAN
11-14-2014, 10:36 PM
"If you purchased an ORV in BC or brought it into BC before July 1, 2010, and did not pay PST at the time of purchase or bringing it into BC, you will not be required to pay the PST at the time of registration. Instead, you "should" contact us to arrange payment of the PST".

Key word is "should".

Purchased an ATV before July 1st 2010 and paid the taxes, do not have to show taxes paid. If and when they come looking, will show the bill of sale with taxes paid.
There are times when I don't do as I should.

Lionhill
11-15-2014, 07:24 AM
I purchased my quad through my business in 2005. The receipt is required by law to be kept for 7 years per CRA rules. Those receipts and papers have now been shredded. I followed the letter of the law and now a retroactive tax is being applied to my property. Not acceptable.

SPEYMAN
11-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Read the post above yours. Once again the tax laws have been in place for a long time and the act explains how to handle your situation.

Some need to do some reading before jumping to conclusions that are not correct.

Search ORV ACT B.C. and read it.

ACE
11-15-2014, 12:39 PM
Speyman .......
My quad is plated/registered/insured ($2,000,000. third party liability) for $60. ......
ICBC is the insurer .....
I sometimes prospect, but carry my rock hammer and small pack at all times ...... have a 'Free Miners Licence' ...
Have an ICBC 'Road Permit' issued by the RCMP ....... am able to cross and travel down the shoulder of any road.

Glad that you started this thread and laid out the facts of the upcoming registration and process.
I've just taken a different approach to it ......

srupp
11-15-2014, 03:52 PM
HMMM tried to read it..my twin brother is the laywer in the family..it is designed to be confusing its the purpose of protecting govt.
it doesn't protect the environment.
I couldn't find that it was a one time fee period.amen.
I couldn't find where this license tag is to go..or must go.
I understand? the paperwork must be carried with you..as does the tag.

The minister may grant certain GROUPS of people exemptions...leprocans and wee Irish lasses under 3 foot tall..hmm maybe natives? maybe my stolen atv couldn't be recovered from a foreign government west of Williams Lake?

its states that some of the $$$ is for the agencies..ie bcwf and snowmobile assoc for trails...SERIOUSLY....

ok I have read it...imo its still garbage cash grab with fines from $200...$500...$2,000...$5,000...plus retroactive gst pst..
im voting on nov 17 not to rejoin bcwf for our rod and gun club..
sheeeesh

goatdancer
11-15-2014, 04:01 PM
Speyman .......
My quad is plated/registered/insured ($2,000,000. third party liability) for $60. ......
ICBC is the insurer .....
I sometimes prospect, but carry my rock hammer and small pack at all times ...... have a 'Free Miners Licence' ...
Have an ICBC 'Road Permit' issued by the RCMP ....... am able to cross and travel down the shoulder of any road.

Glad that you started this thread and laid out the facts of the upcoming registration and process.
I've just taken a different approach to it ......

Is this because of your Free Miners Licence? I have never heard of ICBC rates of $60 per year for quads. What did you ask for when you got the coverage?
How did you get the road permit? This could be the way to go if it is available to everybody. Please share your secrets.

r106
11-15-2014, 05:05 PM
Is this because of your Free Miners Licence? I have never heard of ICBC rates of $60 per year for quads. What did you ask for when you got the coverage?
How did you get the road permit? This could be the way to go if it is available to everybody. Please share your secrets.

Yes I would like to know as well. The average I have seen for 200 000 liability is around $80-100 and thats with a BCWF discount

ACE
11-15-2014, 05:42 PM

If you are over 65 years old ... your 'Free Miners Licence' is in fact free .....

With your FML in hand, go to the nearest RCMP Detachment and apply for the ICBC Road Permit ..... this permit is free and is issued by the RCMP .....

With the FML, and Road Permit in hand, go to an Insurance office and get your 'X Restricted' plate and insurance.

The $1,000,000. Third Party Liability is $6.
The $2,000,000. Third Party Liability is $9.

This ICBC Insurance combined with the BCWF Insurance pretty much has you covered for ATV backroad travel.

goatdancer
11-15-2014, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the info.
Does this mean that your quad is registered?

ACE
11-15-2014, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the info.
Does this mean that your quad is registered?

Yes, it's registered, has a licence plate, and is insured.
For riding along the shoulder of secondary roads or crossing major highways, your quad will need working head and tail lights. Brake and signal lights are not required.

Daybreak
11-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the good information Ace. Almost makes it worthwhile getting old.:-D

Ed George
11-16-2014, 08:25 PM
The BCWF was involved in the creation of acceptable legislation for the membership. The Access Committee chair, where my information comes from, was involved in these discussions from the start and took a different position, as directed by the membership, than the ORC. The BCWF would only support the "one time only fee", not the annual registration that was supported by other groups. The BCWF did not support annual fees going to third parties for creation or maintenance of trails. Hunters don't use rec trails. This annual fee is one reason why the BCWF is not a member of the ORC. With over 40,000, currently over 45,000, members the BCWF was the largest group represented at the table.

303savage
11-17-2014, 09:02 AM
I really do think it is a money grab under the guise of controlling the idiots.
You can't control stupidity
In some areas a lot of country is degraded by IDIOTS it trucks and they are already registered.

xcaribooer
11-17-2014, 01:08 PM
I went into an autoplan agent today to ask about ORV regi. The girl seemed quite clueless to the whole thing, but what I got from her was that it is an actual plate and not a decal, and she said you did not need to register if you only travelled on FSR roads, you only need to register if you plan to cross a highway she said. I question this..
The other thing was that my receipt from the person I bought my quad from(2nd hand) was not good enough, she gave me an Unregistered vehicle and missing signature declaration form to take to a notary to have filled out. The cost for the notary to fill this out is about $50.so already you will be up over $100 to register and I still do not have a clear answer if its a one time fee or if it will be annual. I think I will give it a few months to get the kinks worked out before I go back to try and register.
I am guessing a good majority of orv owners will not have the original bill of sale from the dealer either.

Ranger95
11-17-2014, 01:42 PM
This whole thing stinks - as an atv / utv vehicle owner you are getting shafted - so just bend over and take it - its a cash grab that simple!

I'm not even going to bother until next year - let the mut's get their act together first.

Frango
11-17-2014, 06:38 PM
I registered my quad today .It took the nice lady about 45 minutes. It was her first time and had to walk thru it. Mine was easy as I have the bill of sale from a dealer. The only other problem was the weight. She would not register it with out the weight. So I looked it up on my smartphone in about 30 seconds. Total cost $30 done..If you don't have a receipt its going to get complicated. Good luck.

Daybreak
11-17-2014, 06:59 PM
I registered my quad today .It took the nice lady about 45 minutes. It was her first time and had to walk thru it. Mine was easy as I have the bill of sale from a dealer. The only other problem was the weight. She would not register it with out the weight. So I looked it up on my smartphone in about 30 seconds. Total cost $30 done..If you don't have a receipt its going to get complicated. Good luck.

$30 doesn't sting too badly. May I ask, what year is your quad? I'm under the impression that in order to register you will have to pay tax on certain machines depending on year of manufacture or whether you bought privately or new at a dealer. By the sounds of it you didn't have to pay any additional tax.

huntcoop
11-17-2014, 08:01 PM
Can you explain paying only $30 and not the advertised $48...

Frango
11-17-2014, 09:51 PM
It's a 2009 Honda 420. I paid the tax when I bought it in 2011. I bought it from a dealer. I thought it was $48 as well but I was only charged $30.

goatdancer
11-18-2014, 11:05 AM
It's a 2009 Honda 420. I paid the tax when I bought it in 2011. I bought it from a dealer. I thought it was $48 as well but I was only charged $30.

When they figure out that they screwed up, they'll send you a bill for the rest...............

Good2bCanadian
11-18-2014, 12:48 PM
So say I own a vintage Husky motorcycle. Worth thousands and steel fenders.
Am I supposed to drill into these fenders to mount this plate?

Your not gonna catch me drilling into my $10k quad to mount this stupid plate.

They shit the bed and should have issued stickers for the fork legs just like Oregon does.

SPEYMAN
11-18-2014, 01:49 PM
Most new quads come with plate mounts that clamp to the rear rack. Your local dealer may have a mount to fit your quad.

goatdancer
11-18-2014, 01:53 PM
So say I own a vintage Husky motorcycle. Worth thousands and steel fenders.
Am I supposed to drill into these fenders to mount this plate?

Your not gonna catch me drilling into my $10k quad to mount this stupid plate.

They shit the bed and should have issued stickers for the fork legs just like Oregon does.

What are you going to do when you whack something out in the bush and scratch or dent the machine?

Good2bCanadian
11-18-2014, 02:01 PM
Well that's my fault then isn't it.

If anyone thinks its acceptable to drill a machine like that then your an idiot.

I support this if they used decals like Oregon.

257stew
11-18-2014, 02:10 PM
I have a policy thru an insurance company. $1million liability for $85 and $10K search and rescue for $25. Add a $25 policy fee for $25 and the total comes to $135.
Contacted the insurance company stating I would like to get this done. They send back an e-mail stating one time fee of $48 and if I want to cross a highway I need to pay another $48 for $200,000 liability.

Sent e-mail back asking if the crossing highway cost is one time or yearly and also on top of the $1mil. policy I already have. If so I am looking at $183 next year an increase of a little over 35%. And insurance fees always go up every year by a little bit. So soon I feel my cost per year will be over $200 and continue climbing. Cheers 257Stew

Singleshotneeded
11-18-2014, 02:13 PM
Thanks Ace for that information. So it's called a Free Miners Certificate, you go to Service BC, fill out the form and pay $25 if you're under 65, free if you're a senior, and they give you your FMC. Then as Ace said, you take it to the RCMP and get the ICBC Road Permit, and then to your Autoplan insurance office and register your quad, get a plate, and insurance for $60 a year...with $2 million liability. The minimum liability insurance of $200,000 costs roughly $100 a year to ride on FSRs and doesn't let you cross paved roads or ride on the shoulder, and the liability insurance you get from the BCWF membership is only in effect if you're on your way to hunt or fish. Will a CO believe you're riding your quad to a lake if he stops you in summer ripping around a mountain with no lake? :-D
So, we all have two options: 1. Pay the $48?, register your quad, get a plate, and pay $100 per year for $200,000 liability insurance so you can ride on forestry roads...like many of us have been paying for years...if you come to a paved road you can't legally cross it or go down the shoulder of it to get to another FSR or you will get a ticket if a cop sees you.
2. Go to Service Canada, pay $25 and get a FMC, get the road permit from the RCMP, and go to insurance office- register quad, get a plate, and pay $60 per year for $2 million liability insurance and the right to travel on forestry roads. The benefits of going this route are the annual insurance is $40 less (for more liability if you mess someone up) AND you can cross paved roads or ride down the shoulder of them...yay!! How many times have we quadders gone down a logging road or trail and come to a paved road, and had to risk a ticket to cross it or go down the road's shoulder a bit to get to another logging road or trail? Whoever has done much quadding has been there before, I know I have! It's a major reason a few of my quadding buds have gotten dual sport ( enduro) motorcycles so they can legally ride on paved roads and then explore the backcountry. This is excellent info, Ace, and I'll be going this route! :-D

huntcoop
11-18-2014, 02:24 PM
My sense is that they may do away with the way Ace has done things but time will tell. I'm sure the RCMP won't just give out a road permit just 'cause you have a FMC. Just seems waaaay to easy, please let us know how that works out Singleshotneeded.

Singleshotneeded
11-18-2014, 02:34 PM
I absolutely will, Huntcoop! If this works as Ace told us, then it's rather a no brainer...$40 less a year for more liability insurance, and the big advantage of being able to cross paved roads or go down the shoulder of them to the next trail... First thing I'm going to do is call the local RCMP detachment and ask about the road permit for a guy with his FMC! I'll post the result of the phone call asap.

Singleshotneeded
11-18-2014, 03:20 PM
Okay, well getting the FMC isn't an issue, you first have to register with BCEID.ca as "business" under your personal name, and then go to Service Canada and fill out the form for the FMC, they send it away and then can fax/email/mail your certificate to you...$25. The RCMP traffic dept. in Kelowna have heard of "Operation Permits" for vineyards to run tractors down the side of roads, NavCan to fix cell towers, etc, where you give the RCMP office the streets you'll be crossing and the tractor registration and they issue the business the operation permit. No experience at all with the "road permits" or "operation permits" for prospectors...they suggested I call ICBC, which I'll do and see what they have to say. Could be there's a lot more prospectors in Ace's part of BC so the cops there are familiar with giving prospectors with FMC's a permit to cross roads... I'll post once I've talked to ICBC.

goatdancer
11-18-2014, 07:09 PM

If anyone thinks its acceptable to drill a machine like that then your an idiot.

Then I guess you won't be registering and plating your vehicle.

Daybreak
11-18-2014, 07:25 PM

There are a multitude of ways to mount a plate without drilling holes in fenders or structure. I've been doing it for years on motorcycles. You just have to get a bit creative with clamps and brackets. How many have mounted Kolpin cases without damaging structure? I know I have.

goatdancer
11-18-2014, 07:43 PM
If I had a classic that was worth thousands of dollars, I sure would not be driving it on bush roads.

hotstuff
11-18-2014, 08:49 PM
In all the years (30) of riding quads I have never been where I was even close to a road with pavement or had any reason to unload on pavement except in my own driveway.
so do I even have to worry about anything at all.
even my dirt bike riding has been strictly dirt or bush roads.

ACE
11-18-2014, 11:14 PM
Singleshot ........ We're you able to get the RCMP issued ICBC Road Permit?

Singleshotneeded
11-19-2014, 12:16 AM
The FMC is easy, the issue is that the RCMP in Kelowna have never heard of an "operations permit" for anything other than a vineyard tractor, or NavCan quad used for repairing cell towers, etc... The RCMP said I should talk to ICBC...I got busy this afternoon but I'll call them tomorrow.

Sofa King
11-19-2014, 12:43 AM
The FMC is easy, the issue is that the RCMP in Kelowna have never heard of an "operations permit" for anything other than a vineyard tractor, or NavCan quad used for repairing cell towers, etc... The RCMP said I should talk to ICBC...I got busy this afternoon but I'll call them tomorrow.

I would think they'd know about them for using their gators in Kelowna.
but then, who's gonna fine them?

Sofa King
11-19-2014, 12:54 AM
police, orchard/vineyard workers, bug sprayers, city workers.
I've always wondered why they are able to licence to operate on the streets.
so, are we able to?
or are we not special enough?

goatdancer
11-19-2014, 12:34 PM
so, are we able to?

Probably allowed for certain uses only. Why the hell would you want a bunch of idiots ripping up and down the streets on ATVs?

Sofa King
11-19-2014, 12:42 PM
Probably allowed for certain uses only. Why the hell would you want a bunch of idiots ripping up and down the streets on ATVs?

see, you're already falling for their crazy reasoning.
why assume everyone would be idiots?
and ripping around everywhere?
why can't it be just like cars or trucks?
sure, some race and shit-drive, but those are the ones that are stopped and fined.
same shit with atvs would happen.
believe it or not, us people, the citizens, are actually capable of acting responsibly.
I just don't see how the cops and orchardists, etc, are qualified enough so that they can be licenced, but the population isn't.

Piperdown
11-19-2014, 12:56 PM
so, are we able to?
its called a xplate i have one

OOBuck
11-19-2014, 01:01 PM
Tell ya what when they start making it MANDTORY for all the f--kin doo gooder POS pedal bikers in Victoria to have plates on their bikes I'll get a plate on my quad.

Until then the can F/O!

Good2bCanadian
11-19-2014, 01:20 PM
If I had a classic that was worth thousands of dollars, I sure would not be driving it on bush roads.

I went to a dual sport BC race and this is how I got this idea of these plates are a bad idea. It was these fine older gentleman that raised these concerns to us. They lobbied for the stickers but the gov said too bad.

These are fellows who are 50-65 years old , they have ridden for many many years, that where bringing this up.

There exact words where. " Doesn't the government realize how offroad bikes are used and how these plates will be in the way?"

My point is the government is ramming it down out throats. We have no say.

Once again, let me state, I'm not against the registeration, just the metal plate. A basic sticker would be perfect.

I dare you to go down to Holeshot and quiz all the owners of brand new bikes and ask them how happy they are to drill there new $10k KTM fender? I bet you nobody will agree with you.

If you want to tow the government line go for it.
I feel I have a legitamite reason to not want to mount a sharp aluminum plate behind my bike.

Now it's obvious these plates would not be in the way for FSR riding. That's not the riding I'm talking about here. The riding I do and thousands of other BC riders do is gnarly single track. There are many ORV areas in BC that are known for this riding. Obviously you have no idea what this riding is about. So your opinion is coming from a road rider perspective.

On my quad. My plate will get zap strapped to the frame work up under the backside of it.
It will be muddy. It will get cleaned once in a while when I decide to wash my quad.

I hate washing my quad, so I don't search for mud. Only mud I see, is the mud your truck would see. No difference.

Ron.C
11-19-2014, 01:22 PM
Tell ya what when they start making it MANDTORY for all the f--kin doo gooder POS pedal bikers in Victoria to have plates on their bikes I'll get a plate on my quad.

Until then the can F/O!

nope, so far no request made to this so called "f-kin POS pedal biker". We can still pedal our way past you road raging folk free of charge.:-D

Good2bCanadian
11-19-2014, 01:23 PM

Until then the can F/O!

Why is it these guys get away with no Liabilty or plates on there bicycles is beyond me.

I think it's because riding a bicycle is green and we should bend for anybody deciding to go green.

r106
11-19-2014, 01:26 PM

Until then the can F/O!

It blows my mind that they make everyone else have registration and liability insurance but have not done anything about the people riding bicycles all over the streets. I'm not saying they should but why are they exempt? They are in the same or even a more dangerous positions to cause bodily harm and damage to other vehicles and people than us out in the bush.

Good2bCanadian
11-19-2014, 01:30 PM
R106.

Its because they are going green. Don't put anymore rules on a green going person or our world may loose one.

Im sick of being penalized for owning a diesel truck and riding motorcycles and atv's.

Its city folk making broad rules for all the rest of rural BC.

Ron.C
11-19-2014, 01:35 PM
Why is it these guys get away with no Liabilty or plates on there bicycles is beyond me.

I think it's because riding a bicycle is green and we should bend for anybody deciding to go green.

I think its because there is nowhere to mount then plate. Maybe syickers are a better idea :roll:

Man you guys make me laugh. You are pissed that the Govn't is making registration madatory. Fair enough and I personally see little value in the OVR. I don't think its going to help with theft revovery, gaining access, or making riding more fun. And For the record, I'm an ATV owner. However, i could care less that the Gov't has finally found a way to recover or ensure they recieve taxes due on sales of ATV's.

But pointing the finger at another community somehow makes your case stronger? That's weak boys. But as it applies to a couple recent comments, just look at it this way. Every cyclist on the road is one less car in gridlock. But I guess some enjoy their extended commute home waiting patiently in traffic as bikes coast past.

Good2bCanadian
11-19-2014, 01:55 PM
Ron

Read my comments above on how I support the registeration but not the plate for my application.
I paid my taxes on all my machines, so that doesn't bother me.
$48 for a one time fee, I don't care either.

If I could somehow load my bicycle with all my trade tools, I'd love to ride my bike to work.

The fellows I spoke to at DualSportBC raised this plate issue to me. They have years and years of experience, both riding dual sports with plates and offroad bikes without. There opinion was for the hardcore rider that now has a metal plate attatched to there fenders. Right where there balls slide on the fender. These words where from a 60 plus year old gentleman.

I'm a car driver, bicycle rider, atv owner, dirtbike owner and trials bike owner. So my opinion is from a perspective of all of these combined.

My quad is a non issue to mount this plate. My dirtbike and trials bike are a different story.

Sofa King
11-19-2014, 02:20 PM
It blows my mind that they make everyone else have registration and liability insurance but have not done anything about the people riding bicycles all over the streets. I'm not saying they should but why are they exempt? They are in the same or even a more dangerous positions to cause bodily harm and damage to other vehicles and people than us out in the bush.

exactly.
and the law-makers love to just invent new shit to bring in more fine$$.
you can get a dui on a bicycle, for that, they deem it a vehicle.
but, at the same time, it's exempt from every other law that applies to a vehicle.

the one that baffles me even more, is all those damn scooters.
not the moped style ones, i'm talking the sit-down ones that are all over the roads.
how are they exempt from being licenced?
how are they exempt from helmet laws?
and also, the vast majority are impaired off their gord on meds.
yet they can just wander wherever they choose and everyone else is supposed to watch out for them.

and I'm sick of the cops always pointing the finger at motorists on the news every time a dumb-ass runs across a street in the dark wearing dark clothes and gets smoked by a car.
they never point the blame at the idiots jay-walking, which is actually illegal, it's always them reminding motorists to watch out for pedestrians.
how many pedestrians do you think even actually follow the rules IN the crosswalks?
they never even look to see if their signal is saying to walk or to stop.

SPEYMAN
11-19-2014, 02:34 PM
Sofa King, looks like you have a number of issues you should take up with your MLA. But how about sticking to the topic under discussion.

Ron C, There have been access issues where we have already gained access. Prior to the new ORV laws we had to push our quads across a highway and no way could you ride on a highway right of way(shoulder). That is no longer true. We can cross highways and with a Operation Permit access to right of way.

Some may choose not to have that right but there are many recreational riders that do.

Ron.C
11-19-2014, 09:20 PM
Ron

Read my comments above on how I support the registeration but not the plate for my application.
I paid my taxes on all my machines, so that doesn't bother me.
$48 for a one time fee, I don't care either.

If I could somehow load my bicycle with all my trade tools, I'd love to ride my bike to work.

The fellows I spoke to at DualSportBC raised this plate issue to me. They have years and years of experience, both riding dual sports with plates and offroad bikes without. There opinion was for the hardcore rider that now has a metal plate attatched to there fenders. Right where there balls slide on the fender. These words where from a 60 plus year old gentleman.

I'm a car driver, bicycle rider, atv owner, dirtbike owner and trials bike owner. So my opinion is from a perspective of all of these combined.

My quad is a non issue to mount this plate. My dirtbike and trials bike are a different story.

Sorry, should have separated that comment from the text that followed. Was trying to poke a bit of fun at ya is all, but my other comments were directed at others that drew my initial response. I should have made a better effort to separate the two.

cheers

bighornbob
11-19-2014, 11:14 PM
So I got my plate today. The cost for registration and the plate was $48. I asked about someone paying $30 and was told they did not get charged the plate fee. They said that person will be getting a bill for the plate fee. The fee was a one time deal.

Here is the kicker, with the $48 fee you are not allowed to cross a highway or paved road. To be able to cross a highway or paved road you need liability insurance and that's another $50 dollars and you will get a sticker for your plate ( just like regular car insurance sticker) and it's only good for the year. So if you want to cross a paved road it's $50 a year. This $50 is for 200,000 liability. They were not sure if it could be used for the FSR liability requirements.

As I don't plan on crossing any roads I did not pay the extra $50 as I have private liability insurance already as well as the BCWF insurance. I will wait until June and see if the kinks are ironed out about the insurance. If the $50 liability insurance covered you on FSR's I would get it as it's cheaper then then private liability insurance.

Bhb

huntcoop
11-19-2014, 11:17 PM
BHB, what year is your machine and how did the tax thing work? Receipts, proof of purchase etc...

bighornbob
11-19-2014, 11:58 PM
My quad is a 2013 and I had a bill of sale from the dealer. They fill out a transfer paper ( just like you do for car). If you buy new from the dealer,from now on the dealer will have to fill in the transfer paper showing the tax was paid.

Bhb

SPEYMAN
11-20-2014, 12:08 AM
The $23.00 fee is for the sticker you stick on your plate to show you have the Liability Insurance to cross a highway.
The $25.00 is for the basic $200,000.00 required to get the sticker to cross highways.
You can purchase additional libility to increase your coverage. To increase coverage you will pay an additional
$1.00 for $300,000.00
$3.00 for $500,000.00
$6.00 for $1,000,000.0
$11.00 for $2,000,000.00
$15.00 for $3,000,000.00
$22.00 for $5,000,000.00.

You must have a minimum 3rd party liability of $200,000.00 to ride on Crown Land and FSRs. The same as you have always been required to have. The liablity from ICBC is strictly for highway crossings and falls under the Motor Vehicle Act.

ACE
11-20-2014, 12:20 AM
Good info Speyman .......
My other quad will be registered with the 'new' regulation plate/insurance etc.

Mauser98
11-20-2014, 09:43 AM
The $23.00 fee is for the sticker you stick on your plate to show you have the Liability Insurance to cross a highway.
The $25.00 is for the basic $200,000.00 required to get the sticker to cross highways.
You can purchase additional libility to increase your coverage. To increase coverage you will pay an additional
$1.00 for $300,000.00
$3.00 for $500,000.00
$6.00 for $1,000,000.0
$11.00 for $2,000,000.00
$15.00 for $3,000,000.00

You must have a minimum 3rd party liability of $200,000.00 to ride on Crown Land and FSRs. The same as you have always been required to have. The liablity from ICBC is strictly for highway crossings and falls under the Motor Vehicle Act.

Thanks for the information, Speyman but I'm curious about insurance.

I've read the ORV Act(first reading) and can't find any reference to insurance requirements. In the past, the Forest Service Road Regulations required $200,000 liability insurance in order the use a atv on a FSR with no mention of it also been required for riding on Crown Land.

Has something changed where mandatory insurance requirements now extend to Crown Land? Did I miss something in the new Act?

All my riding is done while hunting so my BCWF has me covered no matter where I ride. As I said, just curious.

SPEYMAN
11-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Expanded definition of ORVs:
 ORV laws apply to a wide range of vehicles operated on Crown land and otherpublic lands.
 ORVs are used for work, leisure and commuting purposes and includesnowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles (aka “Quads”), off-road motorcycles (i.e. dirtbikes) and side-by-sides (e.g. “Argos”, “Rhinos” and “Razors”).

pieter
11-20-2014, 11:16 AM
Is this a just white law or do fn have to do it to it is probabily their aboriginal right to not have to

SPEYMAN
11-20-2014, 11:30 AM
This thread is about ORV registration, not fishing, troll somewhere else.

There is information on the ATV/BC web site forum and links to various Government releases.

SPEYMAN
11-20-2014, 11:54 AM
My father used to say"just sit there and keep your mouth shut, then no one will know how stupid you are".

Sofa King
11-20-2014, 12:15 PM
This thread is about ORV registration, not fishing, troll somewhere else.

There is information on the ATV/BC web site forum and links to various Government releases.

true, but his question is valid.
does the law apply to all?
or are they going to choose who has to abide by it and who they'll let ignore it?

Ron.C
11-20-2014, 12:20 PM
Sofa King, looks like you have a number of issues you should take up with your MLA. But how about sticking to the topic under discussion.

Ron C, There have been access issues where we have already gained access. Prior to the new ORV laws we had to push our quads across a highway and no way could you ride on a highway right of way(shoulder). That is no longer true. We can cross highways and with a Operation Permit access to right of way.

Some may choose not to have that right but there are many recreational riders that do.

I get the road crossing "legality" but I would argue it is safer to just have let folks cross a paved highway on a dirt bike/quad than pushing it across. But agree with you at least it will be legal now "if registered"

And I'm not trying to be argumentative, I 'm simply uninformed. What is an Operator Permit? And with a registerd ATV/Operator permit, I can ride the shoulder of a highway "legally" on my ATV for recreation purposes?

goatdancer
11-20-2014, 12:28 PM
BCWF newsletter has a bunch of links to the regulations and other info about the ORV act. I sent an email to CTBTaxQuestions@gov.bc.ca in regard to an older ATV that was brought in from Alberta many years ago and how they would go about figuring out the PST that is required. Will post the answer when I get a reply.
The links have answers regarding things like the Operator Permit, crossing roads, riding on the shoulder, etc.

Ron.C
11-20-2014, 01:02 PM
thanks goatdancer

so if you register your ATV and according to para 3 below: as long as the opertor has a valid Driver Licence, they can use highway right of way? Unfortunately para 4 leaves a caveat where a minuicpality through a bi-law can regulate, govern or prohibit the operation of ATV's on highway right of ways within that municipality.

Operation of an all terrain vehicle
4 (1) A person must not operate an all terrain vehicle
(a) in a careless, reckless or negligent manner so as to endanger or cause injury or damage to a person or property of another,
(b) in a tree nursery or planting, in a manner that may damage or destroy growing stock,
(c) on the tracks of an operating railway,
(d) on private property without the consent of the owner, lessee or occupant of it,
(e) in such a manner as to drive, harass, chase, run over, injure or kill wildlife or a domestic animal, or
(f) in areas, seasons or periods of time prohibited by the regulations.
(2) An operator must, on request of the owner or occupant of property on which he or she is found, stop and identify himself or herself and produce for inspection his or her certificate of registration, and must promptly, on request, leave that property.
(3) Unless he or she holds a valid and subsisting driver's licence issued under the Motor Vehicle Act (http://www.huntingbc.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/96318_00), a person must not operate an all terrain vehicle on or across a highway as defined in the Transportation Act (http://www.huntingbc.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/04044_01) or on any portion of the right of way of a highway
(a) except as authorized by a permit prescribed by the regulations, or
(b) except as authorized by bylaw of a municipality,
and unless he or she complies in all respects with those provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act (http://www.huntingbc.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/96318_00) that are made applicable by regulation, and the instructions and directions of an enforcement officer.
(4) The council of a municipality may pass bylaws, consistent with this Act and the regulations, regulating, governing or prohibiting the operation of all terrain vehicles in the municipality or on highways that are solely under the jurisdiction of the municipality.

SPEYMAN
11-20-2014, 01:57 PM
(3) Unless he or she holds a valid and subsisting driver's licence issued under the Motor Vehicle Act, a person must not operate an all terrain vehicle on or across a highway as defined in the Transportation Actor on any portion of the right of way of a highway
(a) except as authorized by a permit prescribed by the regulations, or
(b) except as authorized by bylaw of a municipality,
and unless he or she complies in all respects with those provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act that are made applicable by regulation, and the instructions and directions of an enforcement officer.
(4) The council of a municipality may pass bylaws, consistent with this Act and the regulations, regulating, governing or prohibiting the operation of all terrain vehicles in the municipality or on highways that are solely under the jurisdiction of the municipality.

ATV/BC held a Poker Ride in Merrit B.C. We had to cross a road to get to the riding area. The RCMP advised that that road was in the city and was not a Highway Dept. controlled road. We talked to the City of Merrit and they gave us permission to cross the road.We have held rides where we had to hire Traffic Control people to cross roads that were not in a municipality. With the new rules we may have been able to apply for an Operation Permit and saved a fair chunk of money.

There are some places where ORVs will require Operation Permits to access Highway right of ways. There is no charge for the Permit. How and where to obtain this permit is explained in the releases from the Province. I think I know how and why, but would rather people find out for themselves as there are different situations involved.

To obtain an Operation Permit you must contact the local Police ,RCMP, and show where you require the permit and then

Good2bCanadian
11-20-2014, 02:42 PM
Finally our COs have something to occupy there time out there.

Those guys need all the extra work load they can get.

pieter
11-20-2014, 03:11 PM
My father used to say"just sit there and keep your mouth shut, then no one will know how stupid you are".

And this just shows how stupid some people are it is a valid question,everybody knows about fishing and hunting and etc etc etc

Dannybuoy
11-20-2014, 04:33 PM
And this just shows how stupid some people are it is a valid question,everybody knows about fishing and hunting and etc etc etc

Oh Pieter ... You should just be sitting there ....

Speyman : thanks for answering a lot of questions on this

ACE
11-20-2014, 04:35 PM
$1.00 for $300,000.00
$3.00 for $500,000.00
$6.00 for $1,000,000.0
$11.00 for $2,000,000.00
$15.00 for $3,000,000.00

Interesting numbers .....
Mine were ...... $23. for the 'sticker' for the licence plate.
..................... $28. for the registration.
..................... $9. for the $2,000,000. third party liability.
With my 'Road Permit' and commercial designation of my quad, there are many places and much country open to me.

pieter
11-20-2014, 09:39 PM
Oh Pieter ... You should just be sitting there ....

Speyman : thanks for answering a lot of questions on this
We'll be sitting here paying for the ORV license for them to

fishingguy44
11-20-2014, 10:16 PM
Hard to follow all of this so Im just going to ask a question and maybe someone can help. My 10 year old son rides a 1986 110 Honda Atc. Its only ever driven on FSR's and we both have our third party BCWF coverage. am I going to have to register this particular bike? never going anywhere near paved roads? There is no bill of sale either, its just been passed down over and over

huntcoop
11-20-2014, 10:24 PM
Yes I think you will have to register.

Pioneerman
11-20-2014, 10:34 PM
It is not about going on or near pavement, so you it will have to be registered. It would be interesting to see how they deal with young riders who do not have a drivers license and driving a licensed and plated vehicle. Majority of ATV / UTV have a 16 years or older recommendation , well they call it a law

SPEYMAN
11-21-2014, 12:13 PM
If an under age unlicensed driver is allowed to operate an ATV on a FSR, should an underage non licensed driver of a 3/4 ton pickup be allowed to operate on a FSR? I do not want to be driving on a FSR and come face to face with an inexperienced operator of either. There are efforts being made to figure out a system where certain exeptions or supervised operation could exist.

At this time, any ORV operating on a FSR must be Registered and Licensed, have a minimum $200,000.00 3rd party liability and being operated by a valid motor vehicle licensed person. That has been the law for some time. That has not changed.

This new legislation has brought a lot of information to some people.

sausage lover
11-21-2014, 01:38 PM
Bureaucrats just trying to make a living! Can't wait to pay for this,another way to take money from us! I'm pretty sure that people will keep being dumb asses regardless of the new regi. My 2 cents:-D

SPEYMAN
11-21-2014, 02:11 PM
You can't legislate and cure stupidity.

pieter
11-21-2014, 02:29 PM
You can't legislate and cure stupidity.
who you calling stupid stupid

goatdancer
11-21-2014, 03:36 PM
Here's the reply I got today regarding the PST

As a general matter, please see Notice 2013-011 - Notice to Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) Owners (http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_library/notices/notice_2013-011.pdf).

As indicated on page 1 of the Notice:

You must pay PST on ORVs you purchase, lease or receive as a gift in BC, and ORVs you purchase, lease or receive as a gift outside BC and bring into the province, unless a specific exemption applies.

The PST applies regardless of whether or not the ORV is required to be registered.

As indicated on page 2 of the Notice:

For ORVs acquired or brought into BC before July 1, 2010, the 7% provincial sales tax (SST) applies. You must self-assess the tax payable using the FIN 405 - Casual Remittance Return (http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_library/forms/0405fill.pdf) and include a copy of the bill of sale with your payment.

Please note: If you purchased an ORV in BC or brought it into BC before July 1, 2010, and did not pay PST at the time of purchase or bringing it into BC, you will not be required to pay the PST at the time of registration. Instead, you should contact us to arrange payment of the PST.

The important date here is the date that you brought the ORV into British Columbia (not the purchase date). However, you indicate that the ORV was brought into British Columbia in 1998, apparently very soon after purchase. Consequently, you are not required to pay PST to the Autoplan/ICBC agent when you register the ORV, as it was brought into the province prior to July 1, 2010. At the time of registration, you will be required to provide a verbal declaration that the ORV was purchased and/or brought into British Columbia prior to July 1, 2010.

You must self-assess and remit the PST due on the purchase price of the ATV at the time that you purchased it at the out-of-province location, less depreciation (please see Bulletin PST 310 - Goods Brought Into BC (http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_library/bulletins/pst_310.pdf) for information on depreciation rates – please note that the maximum depreciation on goods brought into BC from out of province is 50%). You may remit the PST due using FIN 405 - Casual Remittance Return (http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_library/forms/0405fill.pdf). If you do not have the original bill of sale, the amount that you declare may be the original purchase price that you paid, to the best of your recollection.

Please read it and use the links to get the real goods, not somebody's ' I think it's this '.

Fisher-Dude
11-21-2014, 04:58 PM
Damnit all anyway! Used ATV purchases from a private seller were HST exempt.

Now we have to pay PST again on all used purchases of taxable goods, even from private sellers.

WTF? Did the 'Scalm lie to us when he convinced us the PST was good for us?

http://thetyee.cachefly.net/Opinion/2013/07/29/vanderzalmstopHST.jpg

Rock Doctor
11-21-2014, 06:04 PM
A friend just went to register an ATV, and yes it is a one time fee to register, BUT, it's $66 per yr for the plate.

This is is what I heard today.

RD

SPEYMAN
11-21-2014, 07:49 PM
In terms of costs...
Registration under Off Road Vehicle Act:

* BCs one-time, user-pay ORV registration fee is $48.

* No additional fees for registration or the plate are required under the Motor Vehicle Act if you have paid the one-time $48 fee to obtain both your Certificate of Registration and number plate under the Off Road Vehicle Act. The ORV number plate is a dual purpose plate.

* There is no cost for the police-issued operation permit.

* Annual fees apply to vehicle licensing and insurance for the majority of motor vehicles used on a highway in BC. In the case of ORVs used for recreation purposes to access a highway, annual vehicle licensing is $23 and ICBCs basic insurance coverage is $25, you will be issued a sticker for your plate and this will be an annual fee.

* ICBC is the only one that can provide Liability Insurance for accessing highways

To Register is $30.00 Cost of Plate $18.00 Total $48.00 one time cost.

To cross Highways you must purchase a Sticker for the license Plate $23.00.

You must also purchase Liability Insurance that is only valid when crossing Highways for $25.00.

Total $96.00 to register,buy plate, for sticker, for Liability Insurance.

You are still required to have a minimum $200,000.00 3rd party Liability to ride FSRs.

fishingguy44
11-23-2014, 01:26 AM
If an under age unlicensed driver is allowed to operate an ATV on a FSR, should an underage non licensed driver of a 3/4 ton pickup be allowed to operate on a FSR? I do not want to be driving on a FSR and come face to face with an inexperienced operator of either. There are efforts being made to figure out a system where certain exeptions or supervised operation could exist.

At this time, any ORV operating on a FSR must be Registered and Licensed, have a minimum $200,000.00 3rd party liability and being operated by a valid motor vehicle licensed person. That has been the law for some time. That has not changed.

This new legislation has brought a lot of information to some people.

So a child can't use a child size atv? I could understand if I was unaware of a 16 or older rule but everyone driving an ATV has to have a valid DL?

07blackwater
11-23-2014, 03:39 AM
So a child can't use a child size atv? I could understand if I was unaware of a 16 or older rule but everyone driving an ATV has to have a valid DL?

That's the government fun police for ya. Don't forget to vote libtard/dipper.

SPEYMAN
11-23-2014, 12:08 PM
On a "FSR" Forest Serice Road you must have a valid drivers license and have a minimum $200,000.00 3rd party liability Insurance. I have been riding for more than 14 years and that has always been a law. Legislated under the Forest Act long before this Govt came to power. Might have been the NDP.

aggiehunter
11-23-2014, 12:12 PM
yuppers...no more dirtbiking for the kids...just xbox and social networking...

SPEYMAN
11-23-2014, 12:46 PM
Looks like there needs to be an interpeter for some. The english language is not that difficult to understand. What do you mean "no more dirtbiking for kids" There never was riding of any ORV on any FSR allowed in this province unless you had a valid drivers license and $200,000.00 3rd party liability insurance. Ignorance of a law is no excuse.

"The ORV Act replaces the 40-year-old Motor Vehicle (All Terrain) Act with a modern management structure, designed to align with existing regulatory regimes at minimal cost. It provides specific rules governing British Columbia’s growing off-road sector, and helps ensure these vehicles are driven in a safe and environmentally responsible manner."

This has been law for 40 yrs. Applied and now applies to all ORVs. Motorcycles,Snowmachines, ATVs and UTVs.

SPEYMAN
11-23-2014, 12:54 PM
FYI the motorized sector has been trying to obtaim some comprimise so youngr riders can have access to our back country.

This is from previous post:

"If an under age unlicensed driver is allowed to operate an ATV on a FSR, should an underage non licensed driver of a 3/4 ton pickup be allowed to operate on a FSR? I do not want to be driving on a FSR and come face to face with an inexperienced operator of either. There are efforts being made to figure out a system where certain exeptions or "supervised operation" could exist."

Turning inexperience children loose operating a motorized vehicle on a FSR is not a good thing.

Gun Dog
11-23-2014, 05:33 PM
What makes you think a young driver is inexperienced? My 2 nieces started riding quads when they were 5 (mostly on private property). Now that one niece is 16 she has 10+ years of motor vehicle experience. She prefers dad's 1T Diesel pickup with a standard.

ruger#1
11-23-2014, 05:40 PM
FYI the motorized sector has been trying to obtaim some comprimise so youngr riders can have access to our back country.

Turning inexperience children loose operating a motorized vehicle on a FSR is not a good thing. I would say it would be a lot better then meeting a drunken idiot. Like what is happening now a days.

hotstuff
11-23-2014, 09:50 PM
I am just glad that so far this has been a pretty decent topic, not like some that get locked, in the end we will hopefully have learned something.

aggiehunter
11-23-2014, 11:15 PM
except nobody knew about it 40 years ago apart from some folks...

Sofa King
11-23-2014, 11:19 PM

"If an under age unlicensed driver is allowed to operate an ATV on a FSR, should an underage non licensed driver of a 3/4 ton pickup be allowed to operate on a FSR? I do not want to be driving on a FSR and come face to face with an inexperienced operator of either. There are efforts being made to figure out a system where certain exeptions or "supervised operation" could exist."

Turning inexperience children loose operating a motorized vehicle on a FSR is not a good thing.

and just because an operator is "of age", doesn't mean for a second that they are experienced.

Lionhill
12-04-2014, 10:17 AM
From the horses mouth:

Purchased or imported prior to July 1, 2010

Based on the information provided, you purchased an ORV in B.C. prior to 2010 and paid the PST at the time of sale.

For vehicles purchased prior to 2010, you do not need to provide proof of payment at the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC) in order to register your ORV. You may be required to make a verbal declaration stating you paid the tax.

In your case, you paid the PST so you are not required to self-assess the PST. For people who did not pay the PST at the time of sale, they must register their ORV with ICBC, then later self-assess the PST using a FIN 405 – Casual Remittance Request. (http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_library/forms/0405fill.pdf)

If you have further questions, please contact our phone staff at 1-877-388-4440. Phone staff are available from 8:30am to 4:30pm, Monday to Friday.

sparkymacker
12-27-2014, 02:10 PM
Well that is great, PST, HST, "one time" registration fee, annual plate fee.....and this is all in the first year. I can't believe the BCWF would endorse this in the first place. I know a lot of members who are very unhappy with this stance and it is going to cost them.

SPEYMAN
12-27-2014, 03:15 PM
The B.C. Government advised stakeholders that they were going to introduce Registration and Licensing of ORVs. They were asked for their input and had to sign a confidentiality agreement. They could not tell their members what was being discussed. The input was given and the Government decided what rules and regulations would be enacted. There were no choices. Just like the GO decision. Don't blame the stakeholders, they did there best. There was no endorsement, it was "here it is" we have to live with it so make the best of it. The different groups are still working to make changes where possible. Of the 200,000 ORV owners in the Province, less than 5% belong to ORV organizations.

xcaribooer
12-27-2014, 03:55 PM
It just seems wrong to me that on an atv I purchased used 8 years ago I now have to go back and pay tax on that purchase before I can register. I have no problem with the registry itself ,its the huge amount of back tax the gov plans to collect off of us that has got me pissed off. I may just boycott the whole damn thing since I only use my quad 3 weeks of the year for hunting and primarily run on deactivated roads.

Ranger95
12-27-2014, 04:14 PM
If an under age unlicensed driver is allowed to operate an ATV on a FSR, should an underage non licensed driver of a 3/4 ton pickup be allowed to operate on a FSR? I do not want to be driving on a FSR and come face to face with an inexperienced operator of either.

I'll tell you what - I'd rather my underage ATV / dirt bike rider - son, stays as far as humanly possible away from twits in trucks on FSR's, what half these kids have done / can do on a dirt bike, most of the old Pharts I meet out there, would cream themselves if faced with the same challenges.

this new law sucks for them.

hawk-i
12-27-2014, 05:57 PM
It just seems wrong to me that on an atv I purchased used 8 years ago I now have to go back and pay tax on that purchase before I can register. I have no problem with the registry itself ,its the huge amount of back tax the gov plans to collect off of us that has got me pissed off. I may just boycott the whole damn thing since I only use my quad 3 weeks of the year for hunting and primarily run on deactivated roads.

Collecting tax on all ATV's purchased is the real reason this legislation has come about....the rest of the reasons given are just smoke and mirrors!

mikeboehm
12-27-2014, 06:05 PM
I will not register my quad. I will sell it first

303savage
12-27-2014, 06:21 PM
grace period in June: “BCWF welcomes this new legislation, which we hope will result in a reduction in the number of people operating ORVs in an irresponsible manner. We are encouraging our membership to register their vehicles as soon as possible, well ahead of the end of the grace period in June 2015.”

So responsible riders get thrown under the bus in hopes that irresponsible riders will change their ways. Good luck with that.

2stroked
12-28-2014, 08:43 AM
So responsible riders get thrown under the bus in hopes that irresponsible riders will change their ways. Good luck with that.

Yea, really good luck with that. I can't believe the BCWF thinks this will make a difference. Good tax grab is all it is.

sparkymacker
12-28-2014, 10:07 AM
Bingo....if someone tells you it is not about the money...they are lying!

Collecting tax on all ATV's purchased is the real reason this legislation has come about....the rest of the reasons given are just smoke and mirrors!

sparkymacker
12-28-2014, 10:12 AM
BCWF welcomes this new legislation, which we hope will result in a reduction in the number of people operating ORVs in an irresponsible manner. We are encouraging our membership to register their vehicles as soon as possible, well ahead of the end of the grace period in June 2015.

Great, I think I will reciprocate by not belonging to the BCWF anymore and use the money towards my quad fees. That should make them happy seeing as they welcome the ripoff.

Frango
12-28-2014, 10:16 AM
Great, I think I will reciprocate by not belonging to the BCWF anymore and use the money towards my quad fees. That should make them happy seeing as they welcome the ripoff.
Wow,Brilliant logic.

SPEYMAN
12-28-2014, 10:25 AM
This legislation was not instigated by the politicians. This came about because the politicians were receiving complaints about the abuse of the grasslands,riparian areas,mountain meadows etc. They were obligated to find a solution.

Put the blame where it should be. People who have no regard for the environment. This was a solution as there seemed no other.

Maybe you people can come up with a better solution, the best solution was to ban the use altogether. Would that be fair to all the recreational riders, hunters, fisherman who obey the laws and are very careful when operating their ORVs. This legislation applies to all ORVs, snow machines, motor cycles, ATVs or off road vehicles of all types.

Be very careful who you call a liar. Some would take offence.

sparkymacker
12-28-2014, 10:33 AM
A lot of guys I know feel the same way........

Wow,Brilliant logic.

REMINGTON JIM
12-28-2014, 10:43 AM

303Savage is 100 % correct - registration - licencing - taxes etc will NOT make irresponsible riders-operators into Responsible ones - ONLY HUGH fines and JAIL time and stoppage of usage will cure that problem ! jmo RJ

.330 Dakota
12-28-2014, 11:09 AM

Your 100% correct, being formerly from Northern Ontario, Ive seen this game played out before. The only people that will buy the plate are the law abiding citizens that dont want to be hassled by the law over a lousy $48. The crowd doing the damage doesnt care and will continue with their ways and wont stop for a CO or a cop. Then we will "need to step up enforcement" because the govt can use that excuse to tax us some more. They will put a bunch of cops on sleds and quads and tell us it costs sooo much to do that, that we must increase the cost of the plate and now we must have insurance, then the insurance cost will increase due to the greed and mismangement of ICBC and there you have it.
Its now a "rich mans sport" which the average Joe can no longer afford, so he can either sell his toys or become an instant criminal. Seen it in Ontario,,it will take about 5 years to be fully implimented here.
Very sad when man has to "manage" everything, considering the word manage usually means effed up.

.330 Dakota
12-28-2014, 11:19 AM
Bingo....if someone tells you it is not about the money...they are lying!

I would have to agree, its ALWAYS about the money. Whenever anybody complains about anything that shows a problem has arised that somebody wants fixed. So the minds at work say,"how can we solve this problem and create a revenue stream for us while doing it?"
I have worked in the insurance industry for the last 17 years, believe me thats the exact wording and thinking they use. We were even shown how to point out a problem to the client that he/she didnt even know existed. Now dont get me wrong, a single mom with no life insurance does have a problem that is easily solved, but when you take it too far and try to make the problem seem bigger than it is, then I have an ethical issue with it. The same for this legislation,,I highly doubt that 10-30% of all the people with quads are out riding irresponsibly. Im sure its a few that are ruining it for the rest,,,so once again we are all punished for the deeds of a few.

REMINGTON JIM
12-28-2014, 01:32 PM
BOTH good POSTS there 330 Dakota for a city Boy ! LOL :grin: RJ

SPEYMAN
12-28-2014, 02:51 PM
All ORV owners will buy a plate and register their ORVs. Without a plate you will not be able to travel with your ORV in the back of a truck or on a trailer. The other shoe will drop very soon, a plate will be required to operate an ORV on all crown land. Wait for the New Resource Road Act.

sparkymacker
12-28-2014, 02:56 PM
I would seriously doubt you could not transport an unlicensed ATV on a vehicle, no different then transporting a race car for instance. I don`t doubt that you are correct in saying that you will not be able to operate one on Crown Land without a license though. No doubt the BCWF will be in favour of that as well.

All ORV owners will buy a plate and register their ORVs. Without a plate you will not be able to travel with your ORV in the back of a truck or on a trailer. The other shoe will drop very soon, a plate will be required to operate an ORV on all crown land. Wait for the New Resource Road Act.

303savage
12-28-2014, 04:24 PM
Without a plate you will not be able to travel with your ORV in the back of a truck or on a trailer
That's B.S.

Ed George
12-29-2014, 09:19 AM
I would seriously doubt you could not transport an unlicensed ATV on a vehicle, no different then transporting a race car for instance. I don`t doubt that you are correct in saying that you will not be able to operate one on Crown Land without a license though. No doubt the BCWF will be in favour of that as well.

Once again the BCWF gets bashed for representing you. The BCWF was there to represent the hunters and fishermen, without them you would be required to register your orv's annually as recommended by the Outdoor Recreation Council and the ATV clubs with fees going to private interests to build trails and other amenities. The meetings are still going on for implementation of the legislation, if you don't like the work being done by the BCWF on your behalf you are welcome to get involved and see how much influence you have.

Suck it up, it is one time registration and insurance was already required.

JPS

Hunting for Health not Heads

Vetteman
12-29-2014, 10:22 AM
Once again the BCWF gets bashed for representing you. The BCWF was there to represent the hunters and fishermen, without them you would be required to register your orv's annually as recommended by the Outdoor Recreation Council and the ATV clubs with fees going to private interests to build trails and other amenities. The meetings are still going on for implementation of the legislation, if you don't like the work being done by the BCWF on your behalf you are welcome to get involved and see how much influence you have.

JPS

Agreed. This could have been a lot worse. One time registration! $48.00! C'mon.
Dave

ACE
12-29-2014, 10:28 AM
?........ Without a plate you will not be able to travel with your ORV in the back of a truck or on a trailer..........

Where does your information come from ?

horshur
12-29-2014, 10:50 AM

JPS

what is the validity of the last round of one time plates/registration???
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_20141229_092949748_zpsf60142b9.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/akdana/media/IMG_20141229_092949748_zpsf60142b9.jpg.html)

Ed George
12-29-2014, 05:01 PM
what is the validity of the last round of one time plates/registration???
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y264/akdana/IMG_20141229_092949748_zpsf60142b9.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/akdana/media/IMG_20141229_092949748_zpsf60142b9.jpg.html)

That one I agree with you.

JPS

Hunting for Health not Heads​

aggiehunter
12-29-2014, 10:34 PM
you do NOT need to register a quad if it is used on private property....alas one in the back of your truck is on private property...the police could still run the vin on the quad to see if it's stolen however. Registration is not mandatory until June of 2015...what is a complete joke is that they are being registered on the net weight of the atv..not the CC...the plate for the snowmobile is not only dangerous but won`t last or be visible...so two glaring errors by the powers to be.

sparkymacker
12-29-2014, 11:16 PM

JPS

Well my opinion is the BCWF should be advocating against a bad law; not embracing it with open arms. Sure there is a one time fee of $48, plus the annual license fee of $25.00 until they decide that is not enough and bump it up to $50.00 and so on. Not to mention if you bought your unit privately you are going to be forced to cough up 12% of what ever selling price you decide on. I have lived here all my life and have seen user fees go through the roof, once you give these sleazy *******s a chance to tax you know it is only a starting point. Look what you used to pay for drivers licenses, fishing licensed, hunting licenses, hunting tages, the list is endless. Sure insurance was required but all you had to do was carry a copy of the worthless policy from Hub and that would suffice. Wait until ICBC figures out they are the ones that should be providing ATV insurance. I can't understand how anyone thinks this is going to be a "one time" fee and further more how an organization can think that providing the government a new revenue stream is a great thing.

Ed George
12-30-2014, 09:36 AM
Well my opinion is the BCWF should be advocating against a bad law; not embracing it with open arms. Sure there is a one time fee of $48, plus the annual license fee of $25.00 until they decide that is not enough and bump it up to $50.00 and so on. Not to mention if you bought your unit privately you are going to be forced to cough up 12% of what ever selling price you decide on. I have lived here all my life and have seen user fees go through the roof, once you give these sleazy *******s a chance to tax you know it is only a starting point. Look what you used to pay for drivers licenses, fishing licensed, hunting licenses, hunting tages, the list is endless. Sure insurance was required but all you had to do was carry a copy of the worthless policy from Hub and that would suffice. Wait until ICBC figures out they are the ones that should be providing ATV insurance. I can't understand how anyone thinks this is going to be a "one time" fee and further more how an organization can think that providing the government a new revenue stream is a great thing.

Once again, the BCWF should have done what you think. Where were you? The BCWF was not asked if it was a good idea but how should it be implemented. There is no annual license fee and the sales tax has always been there but you don't have to pay it on an atv that you have had from prior to June 1, 2010. The payoff here is to the dealerships, that is why it is 12% not 7% and dealerships do not generally handle older machines. Why bash the BCWF for negotiating no annual fees and a grace period for the sales tax?

JPS

goatdancer
12-30-2014, 10:27 AM
Once again, the BCWF should have done what you think. Where were you? The BCWF was not asked if it was a good idea but how should it be implemented. There is no annual license fee and the sales tax has always been there but you don't have to pay it on an atv that you have had from prior to June 1, 2010. The payoff here is to the dealerships, that is why it is 12% not 7% and dealerships do not generally handle older machines. Why bash the BCWF for negotiating no annual fees and a grace period for the sales tax?

JPS

You still have to pay PST on all ORVs if you haven't paid it previously. Better read up on that.

Ed George
12-30-2014, 11:23 AM
You still have to pay PST on all ORVs if you haven't paid it previously. Better read up on that.

You are not required to pay PST on ORV's that you have owned since prior to June 1, 2010, you are required to provide a notarized declaration that you are the owner. This information was confirmed by the person in the room for the BCWF.

JPS

ACE
12-30-2014, 11:44 AM
You are not required to pay PST on ORV's that you have owned since prior to June 1, 2010, you are required to provide a notarized declaration that you are the owner. This information was confirmed by the person in the room for the BCWF.

JPS

That is correct ...... ICBC has an information sheet that you can pick up at any Insurance office. No tax on many ATV's ........ check it out.

goatdancer
12-30-2014, 04:52 PM
http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_library/notices/notice_2013-011.pdf

Read the entire document. The info regarding prior to 2010 purchases are toward the end of it.

sparkymacker
12-30-2014, 06:00 PM
BCWF President George Wilson welcomed the new registration process, and encouraged all BCWF Members to register their vehicle to register well ahead of the end of the grace period in June: “BCWF welcomes this new legislation, which we hope will result in a reduction in the number of people operating ORVs in an irresponsible manner. We are encouraging our membership to register their vehicles as soon as possible, well ahead of the end of the grace period in June 2015.”

This is what burns my butt....."Welcomed the new registration process" ...what kind of idiot welcomes getting ripped off by the government?

"We hope this will result in a reduction of the number of people operating ORVs in an irresponsible manner" This is going to result in a reduction of people operating ORVs period, the same irresponsible people will keep on ...well being irresponsible. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure that one out.

"encouraging our membership to register their vehicles as soon as possible" I would think they should be encouraging the membership to advocate against this legislation not unlike the allocation policy.

As one other poster in this thread mentioned, this law is going to make owning and operating an ORV unaffordable for the average person in the not too distant future. We can come back on here and debate this again in 5 years, but all we need to do is look at other jurisdictions to see where these "one time fees" are headed.

sparkymacker
12-30-2014, 06:08 PM
That is not correct, as per the document you have to pay 7% prior to 2010 and after 2010 you pay 12%.

For ORVs acquired or brought into BC before July 1, 2010, the 7% provincial sales tax (under the
Social Service Tax Act) applies. If you did not pay PST at the time of purchase or bringing it into BC, you must self-assess the tax payable using the Casual Remittance Return (FIN 405) and include a copy of the bill of sale with your payment.

JPS

goatdancer
12-30-2014, 07:59 PM
That is not correct, as per the document you have to pay 7% prior to 2010 and after 2010 you pay 12%.

The document is from the people who administer the tax.

Ferenc
12-30-2014, 08:06 PM
Unless it's a gift ? Family/friend transfer ?

sparkymacker
12-30-2014, 08:14 PM
The document is from the people who administer the tax.

Yep so that means you are paying the tax! As has been noted elsewhere they will only accept a notarized document as proof of sale (unless you have a bill of sale from a dealer), so guess what...another $50.00 for that! The amount has to be somewhat reasonable as well (gift from a stranger is hard to explain) or they will fight you on the value. Safe to assume that any quad prior to 2010 is going to come in at around $3,000.00 (on the low side) so that is another $210.00 (assuming it was a private sale). So if you have a $3,000.00 quad you are going to be paying $48.00 plus $50.00 for the Notary and $210.00 for the PST for a grand total of $308.00 excluding the cost of insurance.

BCWF President George Wilson welcomed the new registration process

What is not clear to me or most people I have talked to is whether or not you will be paying the $23.00 or $25.00 per year for the tag on the plate? As the tag signifies proof of insurance and you are required to have said insurance, I am leaning towards that being an annual fee?

sparkymacker
12-30-2014, 08:19 PM
Unless it's a gift ? Family/friend transfer ?

Apparently not....

If you receive an ORV as a gift from a person other than a GST registrant providing a taxable
supply, either in BC or outside BC but within Canada, you must pay PST at the rate of 12% of
the fair market value of the ORV.

BCWF President George Wilson welcomed the new registration process

aggiehunter
12-30-2014, 10:35 PM
yup....I've already decided to quit over the forty eight bucks.....i'll have a few more pints instead.....

xcaribooer
01-03-2015, 10:58 AM
I see plenty of petitions over the current game allotment issue, is there a petition for the orv liberal tax grab issue?? again I have no problem with the one time $48 fee, its the back tax they are trying to collect that is just plain wrong. There should be a grandfather clause saying register your current machines now for the $48 , no tax, and then start to enforce the tax grab just from the July deadline forward on machines being transferred.

where does it end? just for example my uncle has two vintage Honda trail bikes that he purchased in the 1970's. Do they expect him to actually pay back tax on something he purchased over 40 years ago just to register them??

REMINGTON JIM
01-03-2015, 09:25 PM
I see plenty of petitions over the current game allotment issue, is there a petition for the orv liberal tax grab issue?? again I have no problem with the one time $48 fee, its the back tax they are trying to collect that is just plain wrong. There should be a grandfather clause saying register your current machines now for the $48 , no tax, and then start to enforce the tax grab just from the July deadline forward on machines being transferred.

where does it end? just for example my uncle has two vintage Honda trail bikes that he purchased in the 1970's. Do they expect him to actually pay back tax on something he purchased over 40 years ago just to register them??

Apparently So ! its just another Bullshit TAX Rip off ! and i for one WILL not PAY 1 fricken cent in tax ! EVER ! :mad::mad::mad: RJ

bighornbob
01-04-2015, 12:37 PM
So let me get this straight, you are mad that the government is making you pay the tax that you have always had to pay???

It's not like they are saying oh we are increasing the tax rate to 20% and we want the extra 12% on all purchases that were made in the past. They are saying they want the tax that you should have paid from day one.

BHB

Vetteman
01-04-2015, 08:03 PM
Apparently So ! its just another Bullshit TAX Rip off ! and i for one WILL not PAY 1 fricken cent in tax ! EVER ! :mad::mad::mad: RJ

You gotta read the rules. It's pretty simple. Back tax is not collected on ORV's purchased prior to 2010.
Dave

sparkymacker
01-04-2015, 08:19 PM
That is incorrect, read the regulations.

You gotta read the rules. It's pretty simple. Back tax is not collected on ORV's purchased prior to 2010.
Dave

xcaribooer
01-04-2015, 09:53 PM
So let me get this straight, you are mad that the government is making you pay the tax that you have always had to pay???

It's not like they are saying oh we are increasing the tax rate to 20% and we want the extra 12% on all purchases that were made in the past. They are saying they want the tax that you should have paid from day one.

BHB

Just how was I supposed to go about paying tax on something I bought privately 8 years ago? also in my uncle's case with the 40 year old trail bikes that he purchased new , he no longer has those receipts showing that he originally paid tax so now he apparently has to repay the tax??

SPEYMAN
01-04-2015, 10:41 PM
" If you purchased an ORV in BC or brought it into BC before July 1, 2010, and did not pay PST at the time of purchase or bringing it into BC, you will not be required to pay the PST at the time of registration. Instead, you should contact us to arrange payment of the PST."

The key word is "should"

This information and lots more is posted on this thread. There is information about the new regulations all over the web. If you are truly interested, spend some time and do some research.

REMINGTON JIM
01-04-2015, 11:26 PM
Dave

Sorry Dave but that is NOT the way i understand it ! :???::icon_frow PLEASE enlighten me - do i have to pay sales tax on my older machines bought used or not ? Thks RJ

goatdancer
01-05-2015, 05:10 PM
Sorry Dave but that is NOT the way i understand it ! :???::icon_frow PLEASE enlighten me - do i have to pay sales tax on my older machines bought used or not ? Thks RJ

Yes you do. I posted a link to the tax info earlier. Look it up. The specifics are there. Speyman's post should be read very carefully. It refers to "paying the tax at the time of registration".

sparkymacker
01-06-2015, 11:04 PM
Yes, you are not getting a free pass just deferring paying the tax. I will guarantee you that you will be getting a letter shortly after registering your quad looking for payment.

Yes you do. I posted a link to the tax info earlier. Look it up. The specifics are there. Speyman's post should be read very carefully. It refers to "paying the tax at the time of registration".

Vetteman
01-07-2015, 04:51 PM

I registered both my machines back in December. A 2004 ATV purchased used in '06 or '07, (I really can't remember when) and a 2007 model ATV. Paid $48.00 each. No tax was required to be collected. Read the documentation supplied to my agent by ICBC which said I wouldn't have to pay tax. Put $96.00 on my VISA and walked out with my two plates. All done! (I hope) We'll see
Dave

Ferenc
01-07-2015, 05:08 PM
Vetteman.. How big are the plates... Most likely metal ?

REMINGTON JIM
01-07-2015, 08:55 PM
So the tax guys are coming after anyone who has registered there quads but did not pay sales tax on there purchase when they bought it privately ? :confused: RJ

Buck
01-07-2015, 08:57 PM
Vetteman.. How big are the plates... Most likely metal ?

Metal about the size of a trailer plate

sparkymacker
01-08-2015, 06:44 PM
ICBC is not collecting the tax, but you are required to submit it to government. It says that plainly in the document.

I registered both my machines back in December. A 2004 ATV purchased used in '06 or '07, (I really can't remember when) and a 2007 model ATV. Paid $48.00 each. No tax was required to be collected. Read the documentation supplied to my agent by ICBC which said I wouldn't have to pay tax. Put $96.00 on my VISA and walked out with my two plates. All done! (I hope) We'll see
Dave

Vetteman
01-09-2015, 09:28 PM
ICBC is not collecting the tax, but you are required to submit it to government. It says that plainly in the document.

Yup, upon further investigation I see that. I'll wait for their call.
Dave

REMINGTON JIM
01-09-2015, 09:41 PM
Yup, upon further investigation I see that. I'll wait for their call.
Dave

Yea you bet - Great to have call display ! LOL :wink: RJ

.330 Dakota
01-09-2015, 11:07 PM

LMAO,,,This whole tax thing is rediculous,,,and I dont believe they can go backwards on any tax liability over 7 years,,your not required ti keep records beyong 7 years,,,so to the best of your memory you probably paid the tax,,,hhhmmm

REMINGTON JIM
01-11-2015, 12:00 AM
LMAO,,,This whole tax thing is rediculous,,,and I dont believe they can go backwards on any tax liability over 7 years,,your not required ti keep records beyong 7 years,,,so to the best of your memory you probably paid the tax,,,hhhmmm

Hope so - bought mine privately in the summer of 07 ! RJ

goatdancer
01-11-2015, 10:56 AM

Are you referring to sales tax records or income tax records?

coyotebc
01-12-2015, 04:24 PM
15 or 16 years ago I bought a used boat and trailer
I registered the transfer with Canada Customs and transferred the trailer through I CBC

I paid all taxes
About 6 months later I get notifications from the province that I owed sales tax
After providing them with proof of payment at least 5 or 6 times, I thought the issue was solved

Until I pick up my paycheque one day and they had garnished my cheque
It took over 2 years after they garnished my cheque to get my most of the money back
they never did pay back $48 which they kept as some fee for when I was fighting them for my money

So don't assume that they won't get aggressive if they think that you owe them money

SPEYMAN
01-13-2015, 10:24 PM
Some people just have to look a gift horse in the mouth.

.330 Dakota
01-13-2015, 10:32 PM
15 or 16 years ago I bought a used boat and trailer
I registered the transfer with Canada Customs and transferred the trailer through I CBC

I paid all taxes
About 6 months later I get notifications from the province that I owed sales tax
After providing them with proof of payment at least 5 or 6 times, I thought the issue was solved

Until I pick up my paycheque one day and they had garnished my cheque
It took over 2 years after they garnished my cheque to get my most of the money back
they never did pay back $48 which they kept as some fee for when I was fighting them for my money

So don't assume that they won't get aggressive if they think that you owe them money

Just thieves, IMO

Ferenc
01-13-2015, 10:34 PM
And what about barter,trade... Forget about bought ! How in the hell do you tax that! I put up /repaired a fence for my friend... Got a quad that needed to be repaired in return... Traded a fishing rod for the quad.. So many senarios ! Just throw bought out of the equation ... Ya never bought it

firstshot
01-24-2015, 09:47 AM
If you don't have any paperwork for a used quad that you have bought just fill out an Unregistered vehicle and missing signature declaration form. Then you can take that form to a Service BC office and they can noterize it for $16. Then you take that form to an insurance broker. It's just that easy. I went through it all yesterday. Worst part was paying the $1000 tax on my atv which I've had for 3 years already. I just registerd it, I didn't bother with the highway crossing permit. BCWF will hopefully cover the liability.

itsy bitsy xj
01-24-2015, 10:07 AM
If you don't have any paperwork for a used quad that you have bought just fill out an Unregistered vehicle and missing signature declaration form. Then you can take that form to a Service BC office and they can noterize it for $16. Then you take that form to an insurance broker. It's just that easy. I went through it all yesterday. Worst part was paying the $1000 tax on my atv which I've had for 3 years already. I just registerd it, I didn't bother with the highway crossing permit. BCWF will hopefully cover the liability.
You paid $1000 in tax? ouch!!

Rock Doctor
01-25-2015, 06:33 PM
What's the deal with home made ORV's
I have a couple of them.

303savage
03-01-2015, 01:20 PM
Hmmm... Maybe the whole registration thing is to collect back taxes :-)

ruger#1
03-01-2015, 02:12 PM
What is the tax% ?

REMINGTON JIM
03-01-2015, 02:14 PM

Ya All Think ! :cry: F*Ck Them ! :mad: RJ

ruger#1
03-01-2015, 02:16 PM
Yes and I bet it goes into general revenue to line some ones pockets.

xcaribooer
03-14-2015, 10:26 AM
Dave

so now a couple of months have passed since you registered , I am curious if you have gotten a letter from the gov asking for taxes on those two machines? keep us posted. Also I am wondering if you had to declare a value of each machine at the time of registration?

Vetteman
03-14-2015, 11:26 AM
so now a couple of months have passed since you registered , I am curious if you have gotten a letter from the gov asking for taxes on those two machines? keep us posted. Also I am wondering if you had to declare a value of each machine at the time of registration?

I've had no contact from the tax people and I don't expect any. When the registration policy was being brought into play, the stakeholder groups (BCWF etc) were assured that ORV's purchased before July 1st 2010 would be exempt from paying tax.
One of my machines was bought new so I had the original bill of sale. No issues with that. For my other machine, because it was bought used and I had no paperwork to prove ownership, I filled out the declaration which included the price I paid for it, the date of purchase ( which I had to guess at ), had it notarized and gave it to my insurance agent.
Dave