PDA

View Full Version : back to puppies....

3kills
03-18-2007, 04:48 AM
okay how do u keep ur dogs or ur pupies from diggin???

lapadat
03-18-2007, 06:28 AM
Either a very harsh verbal scolding or if that doesn't work, some e-collar training. They might dig less if you give them a good work out every day.

270WIN
03-18-2007, 09:08 AM
i have a blue heeler border coolie cross as a pup she use to dig i tried firm almost yelling did not work what i did it was kind of mean but it seemedto work i cought the dog in yhe act i took her by the caller put her in the hole she just dug and i tossed some dirt on her and i was telling her no the hole time i was holding her in the hole since that day she has never dug

Dirty
03-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Put their shit in their holes and cover them up. When they go to dig they will get a shitty surprise. :lol:

bsa30-06
03-18-2007, 09:31 AM
i have a blue heeler border coolie cross as a pup she use to dig i tried firm almost yelling did not work what i did it was kind of mean but it seemedto work i cought the dog in yhe act i took her by the caller put her in the hole she just dug and i tossed some dirt on her and i was telling her no the hole time i was holding her in the hole since that day she has never dug

Thats exactly what my dad did to our little mutt when we were kids.Only our dog was so stupid it wouldn't even pull its head out of the hole.My golden retriever used to dig lots when she was a pup but seemed to out grow that phase.

BCLongshot
03-18-2007, 09:38 AM
I have 2 Samoyeds right now. 6mths and 1 yr. These 2 are sisters and you want to see trouble makers !

Guaranteed... If you catch them in the act scold them... Take their poop and put in in the hole. It doesn't take long and they won't dig. Mine just play fight all the time now. They have sensitive smell and they won't dig when they smell their own shit.

black 'n blue
03-18-2007, 10:08 AM
If your dog is in a dirt pen you can try cutting out some stucco wire, place flat on the ground and covering it with a skim of gravel.

wsm
03-18-2007, 12:46 PM
go0 to dollar store and get cheep mouse traps. put in holes . they sting but dont hurt. i've tried them. advise from professional dog trainer. when other means fail

Fisher-Dude
03-19-2007, 05:49 AM
You're dog is digging because he's bored and frustrated. Spend more time with him and give him LOTS of exercise. The other methods here may deter him but aren't addressing the core behavioural issue you are dealing with. There are lots of good dog behaviour books out there, and I really recommend you read one so that you can get out of the puppy stage with a good dog instead of a big problem.

Spokerider
03-19-2007, 11:47 AM
I agree.......... diversion tactics are in order. Exercise curbs the boredom.

Beverly
03-19-2007, 11:56 AM
You could also try training the dog to dig in a spot that is ok to do so. (like a sand box) dogs like to dig! If you catch them digging, scold then direct them to the spot they are allowed to dig and encourage it only in that place they will understand a bit easier. Sometimes dogs that are a bit obsessed with digging it is easier to enourage digging in one spot then to be po'd at them all the time and frustrated with doggie landscaping skills lol!

I agree with the poop in the hole trick :) works well most of the time.

The 'Hummer'
03-23-2007, 01:35 PM
You could also try training the dog to dig in a spot that is ok to do so. (like a sand box) dogs like to dig! If you catch them digging, scold then direct them to the spot they are allowed to dig and encourage it only in that place they will understand a bit easier. Sometimes dogs that are a bit obsessed with digging it is easier to enourage digging in one spot then to be po'd at them all the time and frustrated with doggie landscaping skills lol!

I agree with the poop in the hole trick :) works well most of the time.
We take our Yellow Lab for a walk every day and part of that walk takes place on the beach. Along the lines of what you've suggested, we encourage her to dig while on the beach. That, plus lots of exercise, is helped to keep her from any unwanted digging.

VanIsle
03-25-2007, 07:20 PM
I sprinkled cayenne pepper in all the areas that my dog was digging.
All digging stopped immediately.
Now that he is older, he will dig when we are at the beach, but nowhere else.

Pete

3kills
03-26-2007, 08:51 AM
i tried the cayenne pepper thing i tried the head in the hole and put the dirt on her head...niether worked she is doin better lately but i dont think its done.....when we go for walks its hard to encourage her to dig cuz where we go there isnt any real places to dig.....

BigDawgDane
03-26-2007, 09:26 AM
Good question by the way, especially if they are digging in your other 1/2's flower garden!

If the firm scolding doesn't work...repeat...if still

Exercise...someone said it earlier...especially if you have high strung dogs...like hunting dogs or some of the working dogs...(Not that toy breeds don't, they just are usually in the house).

I know if I didn't take my dogs out for a run at least every 3 days...I would have a Viet Cong tunnel system in the backyard...it was horrible. I road my dogs anyway...about 4-6 miles either in the truck or on the ATV...and if nothing else...we'll go work a field together...and let them burn of their extra energy.

Hope this helps...
V/R
Dane