PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Bushnell Elite binos?

lapadat
03-17-2007, 05:21 PM
If so, how have they been for you?

From first appearance, it seems that Bushnell has made a mid-range Swarovski EL look-alike to boost sales.

Is the optical quality similar to thier Legend lineup?

TIA

todbartell
03-17-2007, 05:54 PM
optics are more like the Swarovski than they are the Legend...great bang for your buck optics. Hard to justify doubling the cost to upgrade to Leica or Swarvo

Spitzer
03-17-2007, 06:03 PM
Also, check out the Vortex Razors, same style more FOV, less money and better reviews. You may learn more visiting the birdforum and swfa optics talk.

lapadat
03-17-2007, 07:33 PM
From the SWFA page it seems that the optics on the Bushnell Elite are exactly the same as the Discoverer.

Ie.
BaK4 Roof Prism
Rubber Armored
Center Focus
XTR Technology
Rainguard

Looks like the only difference is the design. So is the one-handed (Swaro EL Style) bino worth the extra 600 bucks?

todbartell
03-18-2007, 12:48 AM
look through the two, then see if you think there is a difference 8-)

tuchodi
03-18-2007, 07:07 AM
I have the Bushnell Elite's now and are very happy with them. They may not be quite as good as the euro's but for the dollars you spend they are very close. That being said I am looking at a new pair of Leica Geovid, only because they also have the rangefinder build in.

Gateholio
03-18-2007, 01:49 PM
IMHO Elites are one of the best deals out there in Binos. Just a hair less performance than the high dollar Euro glass, for about half the cost.

Fisher-Dude
03-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Hard to justify doubling the cost to upgrade to Leica or Swarvo

No it ain't.

kutenay
03-18-2007, 02:55 PM
I have used the original version of these under the B&L name, they were a very fine glass, but, both my Zeiss and Leicas ARE better. I can't see ANY advantage in the Euros for most hunting, but, for serious nature study and alpine hunting I agree with Fisher-Dude.

The finest optics I have yet used are the new Leica Ultravids and my new Leica 62 spotter. Is the cost worth it as they are gutbustingly expensive? Yes, I think so and just gave up beer to help pay for them.....I know, but, what can you do!

Spitzer
03-18-2007, 05:25 PM
Here's a discussion/review about the Vortex Razors and how they are better than the Elites.

http://www

.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=77251

lapadat
03-18-2007, 08:46 PM
I just finished an hour long compare session between my slightly used Legends (10x42) and a borrowed pair of brand new Elites (10x43).

There is definately a noticeable difference in optical quality between the two....but not a major difference. I was glassing trees, houses, powerlines, the neighbours horse, and a mountainside from 100 meters to about 3 km from 1 hour before dark to complete darkness. The elites were a little brighter, especially at late dusk but I honestly cannot justify the extra money based on optical quality alone. The newer design is nice on the hands and is lighter than my chunky legends but not worth the extra $$.

My 2 cents.