PDA

View Full Version : 3-D Course @ Nanaimo F&G

BowSitter
03-17-2007, 01:03 PM
I just got home from helping set up the course for the St. Patricks day 3-D shoot at Nanaimo. In my humble opinion I would say that this is the best course Nanaimo has set up yet! It covers some new ground as well. There are some really great shots and challenging one's too! Hope to see all you 3-Der's there!!

The Hermit
03-17-2007, 01:53 PM
It is supposed to piss down rain all day again... not sure I want to drive up and back and shoot in the rain with foggy specs again. Will see how I feel in the morning.

Awishanew
03-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Hi All: Check out the weather for tomorrow in Nanaimo.
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/cities/can/pages/CABC0195.htm:) :) :)

BowSitter
03-17-2007, 02:31 PM
According to the weather network we are NOT going to get rain on Sunday!!!
So I will see you there Hermit.:smile:

Eagle1
03-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Well I don't know about this, that PERDDY HOYT BOW GUY has got me scared to shoot, but the weathers supposed to be pretty good so I guess I don't have any excuses not to.
Maybe ifen I groval enough I kin shoot with him and he could give me a few pointers from a pro's persective.
Home court advantage??

The Hermit
03-17-2007, 05:37 PM
There may just be a Weather God afterall!!! See you lads in the morning!

The Hermit
03-18-2007, 07:05 PM
A fine day. Enjoyed the course and the company. I'll have to get out into the bush more to practice... thanks guys.

BowSitter
03-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Today was an awesome day, no wind, no rain, warm enough for just a sweatshirt.
We had a great turnout of over 100 shooters!!
I think everyone enjoyed the course(at least I never heard any complaints).
So thanks to all that came out!!

bochunk2000
03-18-2007, 09:30 PM
I wish I could have been there. I love the shoots Nanaimo puts on.
Steve.

timberhunter
03-18-2007, 09:33 PM
It was a very good day indeed. I can't say thank you enough to all the helpers that came out to set up the course and do all the odd jobs I just don't have time to do. Denny and jim did another bang up job with the trail, the cooks were great, and the registration ladies fantastic as well.

Thanks go out as well to all of you guys on here that came out to support our club and shoot with us today. This shoot was good and we can only try and make the next one better.

But for now its been a long long day, one that started at 5:00 this morning for me. Its time for bed.

Thanks again to all that came out.

Marc Spender

Eagle1
03-18-2007, 09:40 PM
Good course, 25 targets, I heard there was 108 shooters.
Where are all these shooters at the other shoots?
No wet stuff.
Shot terrible in the morning, little better in the afternoon.
Greg J - 197/220
Brad L -195/203
Doug G -215/215
Bill S -216/238
Maybe we'll see more of these shooters at the Malahat, I hear they got a bunch of new targets, Including the Delta Grizzly.
Lets all hope Saltspring puts on a shoot in July, I know I'd be there.

timberhunter
03-18-2007, 10:13 PM
Actually the official number at the shoot today was 111. A great turnout.:lol:

Bow Walker
03-19-2007, 09:18 AM
My day started at 06:00 - (probably, as did Hermit's) - Make coffee and hit the road by 06:30.

The weather was near perfect. Cool and no rain, could've used a bit of sunshine but beggars can't be choosers.

The morning half started out (for the group that I was in) with a brisk 400 yard hike (uphill) through the unmapped and certainly unmarked wilderness in the back-of-beyond at the club.

We made the mistake of following the advice of one of the course set-up volunteers instead of listening to Dennis - who pointed out the access points into the targets.

This volunteer will remain nameless to protect the ignorant...........but his initials are BOWSITTER !! :mad:

We arrived at our designated target to find the other two members of the group waiting patiently for us. They were relaxed and ready to shoot. This Olde Phart was puffin' to beat the band. I was over heating from the cross country marathon (the horn blew before we got to the target) and my glasses were fogging up. Made the first few targets darn near impossible to see.

No use complaining though - it's my fault that I listened to bad advice and also my fault that I'm outta shape.

So. The first three targets were "in the fog" and scores reflected that. After the for cleared I had no excuse for my crappy shooting. Even though I tried to find one (or two). :frown:

The lunch break was welcomed and enjoyed. The line up for food tickets stretched right out the front door of the clubhouse! Everyone got fed though - smiles and burps all around. Great tucker at the NFG shoots. :arrow: (we gotta get someone to think about different initials for the club - as we all know what NFG means, right?)

During lunch the prize table was perused extensively and tickets sold accordingly. Lots and lots of great prizes. There was even a small "back-packable" portapotty for our illustrious woods guide to covet - which he almost laid a steamer over.

All the cubs (12 and under) at the shoot had the free chance to participate in a "hidden-dot-target-shoot" for a chance to win a Checkmate Traditional bow. What an opportunity for some lucky youngster to go home with a brand spanking new bow!

The afternoon portion of the day turned out better for most shooters, with improved scores to prove it, all except our Trail Scout of the morning. Maybe just a few to many mini doughnuts at lunch, hmmm?!?

At the end of the tourney the ribbons and prizes were awarded and drawn for. with the lucky people popping out of their chairs to gratefully accept their prizes. All except Dennis, who couldn't locate his glasses and therefore had a heckova time reading those impossibly small numbers on the tickets!! Awishanew where he mislaid them darned specs!:twisted:

What with the great turnout for the shoot, the awards went a bit over long (for us out of towner's) and by the time I pulled into the driveway I'd had an eventful and somewhat long 12 hour day. But......well worth the trip.

I think that one of the big reasons for NFG's successful shoots is their central location. Close enough to draw shooters from down here and up as far as Courtenay/Comox to. The main reason, of course, is the fact that the shoots are so well organized and thought out. Thanks to Marc, Dennis, and all the volunteers.

All in all it was a perfect day.

Tuffcity
03-19-2007, 09:48 AM
Another "well done" on the shoot organization and setup. Targets were well layed out, and while the wheel guys appeared to have "straight on/ no obstructions to the targets" ;) there was a couple of 'hmmm" situations for us stick bow guys.

Bow walker, thanks again for letting us shoot through- politeness or did having recurve guys breathing down your neck rattle you? :twisted: :lol:

They need to tape those antelope horns on though. Every time I hit that target with a 650 gr arrow the horns just ejected! :) (and no, I didn't hit the 'lope in the head)

RC

BowSitter
03-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Good course, 25 targets, I heard there was 108 shooters.
Where are all these shooters at the other shoots?
No wet stuff.
Shot terrible in the morning, little better in the afternoon.
Greg J - 197/220
Brad L -195/203
Doug G -215/215
Bill S -216/238
Maybe we'll see more of these shooters at the Malahat, I hear they got a bunch of new targets, Including the Delta Grizzly.
Lets all hope Saltspring puts on a shoot in July, I know I'd be there.

Eagle 1, Really glad to hear you liked the course, It was my favorite Nanaimo course so far.
Maybe next time we can shoot together, I could try and learn a few tricks.:twisted:
I shot ok in the morning (232)four 8's & two 5's, but after the long lunch I started off bad and ended up worse (217). 8's I can live with but the 5's "OUCH":frown:
Thanks again for the great looking string and cable's for my ultra-tec They really do look good! And a great price too!!.............Ron:smile: :smile:

Eagle1
03-20-2007, 08:51 PM
looks like you shot pretty good there Ron, maybe I could learn a few tricks from you. Glad you like the string,hope it doesn't take to long to shoot in. In our class { open } and unlimited we can't afford to shoot "5"s.
I got a phone call from someone last night saying I put up the wrong score for him, well I'm real sorry for that, I'll try not to let it happen again. I put down 215 and it is actually 225 for the second round,my mistake.
Maybe someone else is eating to many of his mini donuts if he 'HUFFED' all the way up the little hill and fogged up his specs, I think maybe at our shoot we'll start him down in the " HELLHOLE " just to get him in shape.
Might see you at the Courtney shoot, it's the next one in two weeks.

Bow Walker
03-21-2007, 09:21 AM
Billy, Billy, Billy..................don't make me get Janis involved here. You'd lose out to her and her furry army!http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_2_107.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYJOCA)
[/URL]

[URL="http://smiley.smileycentral.com/download/index.jhtml?partner=ZSzeb096_ZSYYYYYYJOCA&utm_id=7924"] (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYJOCA)

BowSitter
03-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Eagle 1, I will definately be in Courtney for the shoot, I am really looking forward to the two day affair!!

Gee if I keep posting at this rate I will start looking like my big bro!!