PDA

View Full Version : Hunting camp pics?

huntersdad
11-16-2004, 12:17 PM
Hey Guys,
Have you every been out hunting and see a camp setup that is very well put together.Someone has put alot of effort into peicing that camp together. I would like to steal some of your ideas for my own camp setup. It maybe your own or someone elses, but each camp has certain things that are unique. I would like to see some pics of the different camps that are out there. From walltents to pup tents and from tarp shacks to 5th wheels, they are all home at somepoint. Thanks

3kills
11-16-2004, 04:02 PM
dont have any pics of out camps but they usually work pretty good...mostley trailers parked and then a few tarps and a potty some where and thats it...

lip_ripper00
11-16-2004, 09:00 PM
good idea. if I can get some pictures scaned I will post them.We use a 40 x20 poly tunnel with hot & cold running water one piece tub /shower and a hot tub. If your away from home might as well be comfortable Right?

Steeleco
11-16-2004, 09:44 PM
Check your e-mail, a couple of pictures sent.

Marc
11-16-2004, 10:00 PM
I'm seriously thinking that a wall tent with a wood stove is the way to go. I've been checking out our sponsors banner and it's looking like a good idea. There is definitely no shortage of wood for heat out there near the clear cuts. We stayed in a wall tent last weekend and the only thing I could see that would make things a bit more comfortable would have been a wood stove in it. A wall tent is easy to pack up and only takes a little space in the back of a truck. Plus it’s cost efficient when you consider a camper will cost you over 20,000 new. Not to mention the extra gas burned lugging it into the woods. I’ve got nothing against campers or fifth wheels but to me hunting seems more practical out of a tent. Don’t have to worry about tracking in dirt and such. Yes a tent would probably be a little more nerve racking in bear country but hey that’s half the fun :D

lip_ripper00
11-16-2004, 10:21 PM
I have encountered a sow griz 2 cubs 5ft from tent 15 ft from my bed space!gets the heart pumping!!

Steeleco
11-16-2004, 11:31 PM
This is why I bought a Mossy 500 and an 18.5" barrel. If nothing else, I sleep better with it under my pillow.:eek:

I have encountered a sow griz 2 cubs 5ft from tent 15 ft from my bed space!gets the heart pumping!!

Freshtracks
11-16-2004, 11:39 PM
I'll have some pics from our moose camp this year as soon as finish off the film and get it developed....damn I need to go digital camera. Anyhow... nothing like the ol' wall tent, had the stove but didn't need it.

Rod
11-17-2004, 12:35 AM
I have been hunting in various styles of wall tent from the common "Woods" style to custom jobs built on site from chep tarps and clear poly to surplus modular tents for about 20 years, each has pro's and cons.

Woods type tents are not cheap and extras like stove rings, windows and screen doors add to the cost, you also better pick the correct size because if after the first season you determine that it's too small you are pretty much stuck with it (buy the biggest you can afford). Having said that a great "porch" can easily be made from a cheap tarp. These babies are typically white canvass making for a nice bright camp and if you buy a unit that takes exterrior poles (highly recommended) it's usually pretty easy to find a few saplings to serve the purpose or even run a rope between a couple of sturdy trees.

The homebrew tarp is my choice when the hunting area is reached by canoe or pack. Easy to configure for size, dirt cheap, can't get much lighter and plenty bright as long as you don't mind a blue tint to your interrior. Plastic doesn't hold ANY heat, it sweats like crazy and by the end of a ten day hunt the stove has usually thrown enough embers out to burn plenty of holesin it so it's usually a one shot deal.

Milsurp modular are heavy, the green canvas makes for a dark camp, the high ridge makes for a lot of space to warm up and they require perlons (interrior aluminum frame) that adds even more weight but they come with windows and stove pipe holes and the tall sidewall offers lots of useable space. They live up to the name modular, two ends and three center sections will provide you with plenty of room for a large crew or if its just you and a buddy a single section is often plenty. If you are REALLY fortunate you can sometimes pick them up at a decent price.

Right now I am thinking hard about buying a woods type tent as the last one was a group purchase with some buddies back east. I am thinking of a 10x12 as I usually hunt with just my wife although with a porch it offers enough room for 4 hunters and gear. 12x14 would be my second choice but I don't normally need the extra room or weight (we will be travelling by pack string starting next fall).

I just uploaded a couple of pics of our September moose/elk camp in the Peace River area from this fall, it's 3 sections of modular with a blue tarp for a fly due to old canvass and more rain than I thought possible. Super comfy for 4 men all our gear and a ton of cooking/eating area. Bulky and heavy but nice once in place.

Thunderstix
11-17-2004, 11:36 AM
I have a 14x16 Woods Wall Tent and love it. I bought the steel pole set (it is not that bulky) and wouldn't want the tent without it. Much easier than trying to find poles in the bush. The tent came with full frontal NO-see-um mesh as well as fully overlapping canvas flaps. Has a rear window with No-see-um mesh as well.

willyqbc
11-17-2004, 11:51 AM
Moose camp.....log frame wrapped in lumber wrap, wood stove in each corner, exterior door and windows. Back your camper/trailer up and cut out the lumber wrap for your door and you have your own bedroom. We had 16 guys comfortably for 10 days using this set-up. It takes most of a day to set up but if your gonna have a BIG camp for a week or more its a great way to go!

http://www.bowzone.ca/cgi-bin/albums/willyqbc/aat.jpg

Chris

leftcoast
11-18-2004, 09:35 PM
Wall tents are great but the best I was ever in was a tipi. Worst thing about them is the poles but man are they comfortable. Two gals up in Atlin lived year round in tipi's.

=keith=

leftcoast
11-19-2004, 08:12 AM
Well black'nblue I have been in some places where having 2 girls in residence was extremly tense. I understand that Mormon men keep one house per wife.

But even with out them gals those tipi's are a great home away from home.

=keith=

todbartell
11-30-2004, 11:09 PM
Here is a pic of my buddy's wall tent, very comfortable with the wood stove :D

http://www.hunt101.com/img/226705.jpg

here was my corner of the tent 8)
http://www.hunt101.com/img/226706.jpg

Just add cots and you're set.