PDA

View Full Version : THIS YEAR...whitetails a plenty

palmer
11-14-2004, 06:20 PM
Well let me tell you this has got to be one of the best years for whitetails in a long time. I have been hunting the east side of region 8. In the last 5 days I have seen over 100 does and 17 bucks, on two days 5 and 6 bucks in the day. Unlike most years these bucks have not only been spikes and forks, but fours fives and even a six, although I have yet to take a buck (10 days left) I have had chances. But as always the really really big ones are just too smart and have lots of luck on there side. I am wondering if others have seen an increase in whitetails ?

Tank
11-14-2004, 08:45 PM
During our hunts up in the peace country weve noticed alot more whitetails than usual. this seems to be the trend over the past few seasons.

Lt
11-14-2004, 11:17 PM
I think you need to get out of the truck quicker if you want to get a big one!!

palmer
11-15-2004, 12:01 AM
I cut the doors off....so nothing holds me up...

3kills
11-15-2004, 03:02 AM
sounds like i need to take a trip to try my luck in white tail hunting this year...going to have to call up my hunting buddy and see what his plans are before the season closes....

palmer
11-15-2004, 06:15 PM
to give an update, this morning was much the same. I saw 12 deer, 4 bucks, 2 4 points, a 3 point and a spike. The rut is in full swing, I was watching 2 does at about 50 ft, when grunting out came one of the four points ..paid no attention to me....tomorow is another day

moosehunter12
11-15-2004, 11:39 PM
Where abouts on the east side of region 8.I would love to get a whitetail. Are they better tasting then mulies

Foxer
11-16-2004, 12:43 AM
Are they better tasting then mulies

Ahh the eternal debate :)

Assuming that all else is equal (the game has been properly harvested and dressed, similar age and rutt time etc etc) it is GENERALLY accepted that whitetail is a slightly more popular meat. But - neither of them is as good as blacktail. :) And blacktail takes a back seat to sitka.

3kills
11-16-2004, 04:01 AM
i have heard whitetails are better now i m not sure if i have eaten any but i m sure i have when i was younger but dont remember...palmer are u holding out for a big one???

Deer_Hunter101
11-16-2004, 04:14 PM
I love white tail. Yeah, it seems there are alot more this year

palmer
11-16-2004, 05:18 PM
Boys...i was out again this morning, three bucks...1 four point..two forks.....nine does....and yes boys I am looking for Mr big.
As for where am i hunting.....within 15 mins of my house....

friendlyfisher
11-17-2004, 10:47 AM
Hey palmer your right i too just got back from the eastern part of region 8 it was our first time there and wow lots of game we seen about 10 nice bucks hanging I got a nice 3 point and we had the opportunity at a huge 4 and a deuce but just couldnt get the right shot, i guess if we wanted to risk wounding an animal we may have been able to get them but i feel much better knowing they will be even bigger next year.We camped beside these to guys from the okanogan that have been hunting in that area for 25 years and they were also saying this is the best it has ever been for whities.Good lick!!!!

Barracuda
11-17-2004, 11:25 AM
we were up in 814 last week and there were more hunters than i have ever seen. the deer were really feeling the pressure. some deer were taken but the area we were in had only two slashes and a line up to get in LOL! saw lots of track no scrapes and the brush was thick . The person that had suggested the area was last there several years ago so it had really grown since he had last been there. but we had a great time anyway. we will be off on another deer hunt in dec

palmer
11-17-2004, 06:57 PM
First thing...I find 8-15 gets much less pressure than 8-14....I am seeing only one or two hunters in a morning. Todays update....two bucks ...spike and a fork.....about 15 does....weather was just too nice..bright sunny days and the deer headed into the bush after about the first hours....but reports are coming in of a big buck being sighted in the 160 class....I am off after him tomorrow.....

3kills
11-17-2004, 08:34 PM
just got a call from my grandparents who were hunting whitetails in alberta...my grandpa nailed a big one...i think he is going to green scoer it tomorrow...they said it was 250 pounds dressed...will post details and pics when i get them...

Tank
11-17-2004, 09:32 PM
Lookin forward to the pics 3kills. what part of alberta was he hunting?

3kills
11-18-2004, 04:23 AM
i think he was in the calgary area...will find out for sure tomorrow when i go out and see the rack...

Canuck2
11-18-2004, 07:07 PM
Hi gang. I got referred to this site by Thunderstix and am glad to be introduced to it. This is my first post and this thread looks like a good place to put it. I see I am neighbours with a few people - Palmer, for example. Look forward to palavering with you. Cheers, C2

3kills
11-18-2004, 07:23 PM
hey canuck2 good to see ya here..i believe i have talked to u on the other site as well...

Marc
11-18-2004, 08:28 PM
Hey Canuck2 I'm glad to see you on the website. I guess what I did fixed your problem. I was over browsing through your site and you've got some wonderful memories captured in pictures. You must have some awesome areas to hunt to be so successful. I envy you in that respect ;)

Canuck2
11-19-2004, 09:21 AM
Hey 3K, good to see you too. :grin:

Marc. looks like you fixed the problem just fine. Thanks a lot; it's good to be here. Glad you enjoyed the page. Yup, I've been fortunate to have some fine hunting over the years.

jackychiles
11-20-2004, 06:05 PM
My Dad took a really nice 5X6 buck last Wednesday. We also saw another big buck but it got away. Not many hunters if you can get out during the week. We saw one other truck.

Jacky

Kirby
11-20-2004, 06:11 PM
Palmer I know what you mean(well not the increase) we were counting dozen deer just driving to work and back when I was over there, couldn't believe it. And some nice elk too, to bad its all LEH, would have loved to been able to hunt elk in the area.
Definatly planning a week hunt down there next year for whitetails.

Kirby

Canuck2
12-03-2004, 07:03 PM
I'm wondering if Palmer is around. :grin: Just looking back and I see he was lurking after a 160 class buck before the rifle season ended. Any luck?

palmer
12-03-2004, 09:26 PM
Well boys ...no 160 class for me. We got a dump the last day (24) and the deer just stayed low. about 25min before dark I spotted a large 4 point...135 class...but i could not pull the trigger ...I had let bigger go earlier...so I guess I will have to wait for next year....And yes lots of Elk around...A buddy took a real nice 6 point at about 15ft in oct and I have seen about six or seven nice bulls in the last week....too bad its LEH...cause I had a beauty 7 point in my sights last week.

3kills
12-04-2004, 05:28 AM
here is the whitey my grandpa got in alberta this year...his rack doesnt do justice for his body except for the nice mass on him....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v337/3killslookin4more/mypics/grandpa_swhitey.jpg