PDA

View Full Version : Interoir Spring Geese!

Gunner
03-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Well the decoys and laydown blinds are put away,and the guns are cleaned and stored!Had a great season ending shoot last Friday and Saturday!After a couple of days on the Coast for brant,We set up Friday in a local field,and by the time the dust cleared 8 honkers were on the ground.The new snow covers on the FA laydown blinds worked really well!Saturday we both slept in,and wwhen we got to our field there were already 80 geese sitting there.We chased them out,and some trickled back,along with new birds,as the migration is in full swing.Satuday's total was 9,including some Lesser Canada's,which don't winter in our area,most likely they came up from the Columbia,around Pasco.That's it til September,now it's time to ventilate some coyote!Cheers,Gunner:)

Dano
03-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Glad someone else had a good spring season. We had a couple large days and I would have loved to have had one more week seeing as the weather has improved a bit these last few days.
Enjoyed all the posts from the interior, I've always thought of it as an upland bird area but it sounds like there's great shooting up there too.
Dan

Gunner
03-14-2007, 06:04 PM
When I moved up here from Ladner,and a lifetime of shooting ducks and geese on the Coast,I thought my waterfowling was done.Such is not the case!There's lots of birds up here if you know where to look,and not many people are serious about it!I still miss the salt marsh,but I get better shooting here,with no one trying to set up on my decoys,plus there's lots of pheasants!Cheers,Gunner:smile:

Tuffcity
03-14-2007, 09:55 PM
Gunner,
plus corn fed birds taste a lot better than tidal birds! :) Do people still hunt Mara where the Shuswap flows in?

RC

Gunner
03-15-2007, 08:56 AM
Hi Tuffcity,I haven't heard any shooting from down that way,access could be a problem overland,and Mara is still frozen!There are very few people hunting birds here,and using good decoys(Bigfoot & GHG flocked heads),and knowing how to call,will pull the birds from other sets.The mallard shooting last fall was awesome as well!:) Gunner

Tuffcity
03-29-2007, 02:13 PM
I used to access that area either by walking down the railroad tracks or launching at the provincial park (tough to do when frozen). Used to do well just pass shooting mallards at first light.

This the place we're both talking about? :) Hunted the "red X" area and accessed from the green X's. Might even get back there one day!

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/Tuffcity/Mara.jpg

Gunner
03-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Yep,same area,you can't get into Rosemond any more the farmer denies access!I'll be trout fishin' right there on Sunday,the fry are starting to come!Cheers,Gunner

Tuffcity
03-29-2007, 09:04 PM
I thought it was a public road to his gate?

You be bucktailing for 'bows? :)

RC

Gunner
03-30-2007, 09:15 AM
Nope,the farmer got sick of the parties and rowdies,and closed the road across his property.The Forest service pushed a road down the other side from Larch Hills to the campsite,but it's a no go in wet weather!The rainbows are already there,so I'll be out tomorrow!If you want to come up for birds next fall,be sure to get ahold of me!Cheers,Gunner:)

Tuffcity
04-04-2007, 01:12 PM
If you want to come up for birds next fall,be sure to get ahold of me!

OK! :)

RC