PDA

View Full Version : Bird Dog Wanted By Young Hunter

Spokerider
03-13-2007, 02:24 PM
A youngster I know just relishes hunting :cool: . This past hunting season he had a lot of fun grouse hunting and now, would like to get a bird dog, something along the lines of a pointer, spaniel, retriever or lab.

Anything from a pup to young adult will suffice, provided it has come from a line specifically bred for hunting, as this will help ensure the "desire" for the dog to hunt.

It's been approved by his parents.......so if you know of one, or have a contact, please PM me.

lapadat
03-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Look up Cheryl Young in the phone book. She runs a great lab rescue shelter in Mission, BC. Most often she will want a litter or two from your dog afterwhich you will own a registered PB lab.

I got my first real hunting dog there when I was a young'n

Young buck
03-16-2007, 06:33 PM
ive been thinkin of breeding my chocolate lab pretty quick hear. she is a graet hunter and her grandfather is a field trial dog

Beverly
03-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Look up Cheryl Young in the phone book. She runs a great lab rescue shelter in Mission, BC. Most often she will want a litter or two from your dog afterwhich you will own a registered PB lab.

I got my first real hunting dog there when I was a young'n

Ummm reputable RESCUES do not BREED or even adopt out intact animals. Have you incorrectly labelled this BREEDER as a rescue? Housing ones own dogs and/or picking up intact dogs from shelters to resell IS NOT rescue.

lapadat
03-17-2007, 10:24 PM
My apologies for stepping on your oversized feet.

Call her what you want, she is reputable and professional.

Besides, the point of this thread is to allow an up and coming bird hunter the opportunity to acquire a dog that would otherwise be too costly.

Busterbrown
03-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Ummm reputable RESCUES do not BREED or even adopt out intact animals. Have you incorrectly labelled this BREEDER as a rescue? Housing ones own dogs and/or picking up intact dogs from shelters to resell IS NOT rescue.

We should be VERY careful about about questioning the the ethics of a Breeder without having your facts correct. Cheryl Young owns and operates one of the finest Kennels and Breeding programs for Labrador Retrievers in the province.The name is Makaila Kennels. She breeds mainly for show but also has breed some outstanding field dogs. In addition to her breeding program she co-ordinates the rescue program for the B.C Labrador Retiever Club. This program places Labradors that are returned from there owners who for various reasons did not work out.We own three Retrievers that we hunt and compete with and have used Cheryl to assist with breedings we have done in the past. She runs a first class program and would be a great person to contact if you are looking for a retriever.

Beverly
03-19-2007, 12:09 PM
Sorry...that was not meant as a slam to Cheryl in any way. (I know she is the Lab club rescue contact :) ) The fact is "Lab Rescue" does not breed nor adopt out rescued Labs and expect a litter back.

Lab Rescue and Lab Breeders (even those reputable breeders involved in rescue which they should be like Cheryl is) do so seperate from the breeding programs they run. The original post about Cheryl kind of left the assumption that rescued Labs were available like a purchased breeder dog which they are not. Putting that assumption out there (although I don't think it was intentional) would not make Cheryl/Makaila happy for anyone to think she breeds/allows the breeding of "rescued "Labs.

And....I do agree that she is a long time reputable Lab breeder :)

Spokerider
03-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the tips and leads guys and gals, I am following up on them.

Spokerider
03-29-2007, 09:56 AM
Still looking.............:biggrin:

johnes50
03-29-2007, 12:52 PM
How about a beagle? My wife has a co-worker that is moving and want sto give it away.

Spokerider
03-30-2007, 11:03 AM
Jones,
Thanks for the lead. I'll pass it on to the young fella.