PDA

View Full Version : Hunting gear, how much do you spend?

Derp
03-13-2007, 02:07 PM
Well as I'm gonna start hunting soon, I was wondering on what you guys spend money on? (ie, boots, clothing, binocs, gps system, backpack, etc)

I was thinking in starting this thread, that I would get an idea on what I will buy in the near future.

Thanks guys!:)

mtnmax
03-13-2007, 02:29 PM
For myself I buy one or two thing every year so it is not that costly. If you buy all the "one time" iteams like gps, rifle, binos etc your first year will be very expencive.

todbartell
03-13-2007, 02:31 PM
probably about 8-10 grand a year on gadgets, bullets, powder, rifles, scopes, bullets, calls, camo, boots, etc. Its sickening. Cant even afford to go hunting.

johnes50
03-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Its sickening. Cant even afford to go hunting.

LOL You got that right!:grin:

frenchbar
03-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Lots of moneyto purchase every thing all at once,but make sure you have a good pair of boots and good binocs if your going out a lot ,i myself just pack a compass ,but a gps unit would be something that i would look at if your new to the sport.

Wildman
03-13-2007, 02:46 PM
Like French Bar said........make sure you have good boots and binos, that's probably the most important. You dont need fancy clothes. Just wear layers (no cotton) and rain gear. You dont need a gps if you have a compass either.

Gateholio
03-13-2007, 02:54 PM
Hmmm...I spend alot, like thousands, but I like good gear. I was just adding up the contents of my truck the other day, and the gear in it came to about $10K, and that was just the tip of the iceberg! It only included ONE rifle and scope, and not nearly the contents of my shop/storage bunker :lol:

It's all about priorities and how you choose to spend your money. I have a decent income, I dont' buy a new truck every 3 years and live in a modest cabin sized house, which I built for cash, so no debt on it.

I don't have an expensive wardrobe (unless you count gor- tex and boots8-) ) I don't buy the latest elecronic gear, my TV/VCR/Stereo is almost 10 years old, I heat my house wiht firewood that I mostly get myself and I dont' go on trips to Hawaii every year.

Most of my disposable income goes to shooting/hunting gear, Hunting trips and dining out, since that is one of the activities that cost money that my GF and I like to do.8-)

*********Edited to add: I just noticed this was in the Youth/New forum...You dont' need to spend alot to get into it,a nd anyone wiht a bit of outdoors apparel can start wiht the addition of a rifle, Binoculars and a hunting licence.

There are fantastic deals out there on quality used gear, especially rifles, as well.

Mr. Dean
03-13-2007, 02:54 PM
This thread was just recently run. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=10517

The nice thing about hunting is that you can enjoy it for as little or as much as you like. You don't need alot invested to get started - But it IS addicting and things (shtuff) start to add up, year after year after...

bigwhiteys
03-13-2007, 03:08 PM
Rifle, Good Boots & Bino's as already mentioned are a good bet to get started... Then you'll actually get started which fortunately in this case leads to addiction. Then the spending will really get going.

For many people who hunt it's something that is passed along from family/friends and along with the tradition comes hand-me-down gear. There are others who start from scratch and get it all done too just pace yourself.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

kishman
03-13-2007, 03:17 PM
For myself I buy one or two thing every year so it is not that costly. If you buy all the "one time" iteams like gps, rifle, binos etc your first year will be very expencive.

I can definitly attest to this, very true! Between guns, gear and gas I'm heading for the poor house!:lol:

bsa30-06
03-13-2007, 03:56 PM
i agree with mntmax, and kishman buy yourself a few things every year, and buy the best you can afford.None of my gear is overly expensive but it works and gets the job done.I upgrade it as i can afford to.

Derp
03-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks for all the info! :)

JoshLedoux
03-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Make sure you grab a pair of Bino's from the vending machine at K-Mart (may have to work the claw a few times to get the good ones) then a pair of gumboots with some garbage bag liners, and a real nice slingshot for grizz huntin...........Oh don't forget a dull butterknife for guttin and skinnin (also a last line of defense)

Will
03-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Well as I'm gonna start hunting soon, I was wondering on what you guys spend money on? (ie, boots, clothing, binocs, gps system, backpack, etc)
Derp,

Many of what I consider to be the "best" Hunters I know shoot 300 dollar rifles and wouldn't know what a GPS was if you hit them on the head with it..........yet they always have and continue to Bag animals without the Fancy gear, go figure:|

Don't think I'm "bashing" the Gear........Much of it is Money well spent when needed I'm just offering up this bit of advice.

While "Gadgets" can enhance one's experiences they do not enhance one's experience :wink:

Decide what you ultimately want to get out of Hunting...your gear needs will become very apparent once you get out there.

I just see Far too many "New" Hunters get caught up in the Gear Race.....instead of Focusing on the Basics of Hunting.

FlyingHigh
03-13-2007, 09:31 PM
Hi,
Well, to give you an idea, my boots retail at $160, GPS - $550, maps for GPS - $180, my archery setup probably around $1200 - $1300, camo around $400, and then all the doodads that go along with it. I kinda lucked out though. I worked at the store I bought all my gear from, so I got a smoking deal. I also have a habit of buying the absolute best I can afford in functionality, and quality. It doesn't have to be that expensive though. You could get into archery or gun hunting for under $1000 no problem.

brotherjack
03-13-2007, 09:52 PM
todbartell's budget for a year would be my budget for about 30 years at the current rate. I think I'm up to about $2,000 since I started hunting some years ago.

Don't get me wrong; toys is grand fun, and I'd buy more if I could afford it. But in reality, any old 30 cal you can pick up cheap (ie: .303 British) and some stuff you probably already own (pocket knife, hiking boots); and you can kill anyting that walks this continent - I'm living proof. :)

todbartell
03-13-2007, 10:06 PM
nobody said what Ive bought or will buy is smart :lol:

Tinney
03-13-2007, 10:11 PM
Sheesh bartell with the money you spend on crack it's a wonder you can afford powder, let alone the gun to make it go bang! :lol:

brotherjack
03-13-2007, 10:12 PM
nobody said what Ive bought or will buy is smart :lol:

Nevermind smart, it does look fun. :)

lip_ripper00
03-13-2007, 10:29 PM
todbartell's budget for a year would be my budget for about 30 years at the current rate.

Hell I could'nt afford what he spends in bullets and powder in a year!!!:lol:

Allen50
03-13-2007, 10:51 PM
First off, good to see someone new joining the hunting group, what i would like to say to you is if you have gun's etc, then the first and most importan thing is proper clothing, keeping warn and dry when outofdoors, is very importan, good boots also, this is where money should be spent first, keeping warm and dry is how you will service the weather and the outdoors, having all the toys will come in time when you learn more about hunting, and when you figger is the best time to spend the money to have all the new toys, but i guess its all up to you and how much you can aford to spend and what you think is the most importain toy to have to go hunting,, your life is more importain then anything out there, so keep warm and dry, and good luck hunting,,, just my thoughts after many years of hunting,,, good luck....