PDA

View Full Version : Hog and Rattlesnake

Huli Huli
03-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Took awhile, however I finally found a medium size hog in a steep canyon. I was dragging it out with a friend and almost stepped on a big rattlesnake. My friend screams, I grab the rifle thinking there are more hogs. He is backing up wildly and I see the snake. This time of the year their skin is a nice color, so I took the rattler. It tried to bite me, missed my hand, sank its fangs into its own body. I saw its eyes as it pumped venom, thinking it had me. I have eaten rattlesnake before, but decided to pass not knowing what effect the venom would have on the meat. This hunt took place in the Hollister area of California. Here is hoping I can post a picture. Hmmm, guess I have to work on reducing the size.

Mr. Dean
03-13-2007, 01:46 PM
If you e-mail me the pics, I'll help you out.

Chuck
03-13-2007, 05:07 PM
What kind of hogs do you bother down there - feral or peccary? Either one would be great to go after with bow & arrow -IMO.

Huli Huli
03-14-2007, 07:13 AM
1. Mr. Dean - Thanks!

2. Feral and Russian/feral cross. Some of them look like tricycles with the humped up shoulders and lower rear legs.

Mr. Dean
03-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Mr. Dean - Thanks!

No problem.
Here it is;

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC00351_edited-1.JPG

I'm quite familar w/ the area. Been awhile since I've been down there though.

Nice country! Thanks for the reminder.

The Hermit
03-14-2007, 09:50 AM
Why did I expect to see a picture of a big buck??? LOL Glad we don't have rattlers on the island! I grew up with them in Ontario... we shot a litter (is that the right name for a newly hatched snake family?) of them one night with a 22 revolver with snake shot ... I think there were 13 in all. *******s were on the deck... dad wasn't too happy about the deck! :-0

Mr. Dean
03-14-2007, 10:06 AM
Huli,

Did you nail him on the trail that you're standing on?

Chuck
03-14-2007, 10:23 AM
Geez that's one mean & ugly looking critter....I mean the Hog! Must be nasty to have to clean'em.

Derek_Erickson
03-14-2007, 10:27 AM
I bet they stink like sh*t too

Huli Huli
03-16-2007, 07:48 AM
Yes, the snake was on the trail. We were in a very steep canyon with water in the bottom. Walking out dragging the pig, I missed the snake initially, my friend screamed. I turned around looking for another group of hogs, he looked like a Ninja with ants in his pants trying to back up. I dispatched Mr. Snake, which is being tanned in my garage right now with a product, aptly called, 'Snake Tan'.

Interestingly, the sow did not smell. It should be a real good eater.

We came across a group of pigs earlier in the day, but they got into brush about 5 feet high, and we could not get them to show themselves for a shot. Two were real good size.

Mr. Dean, thanks for posting the picture.