PDA

View Full Version : Shooting without sights

tailgate77
03-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Does anyone shoot a compound with out pins? Since trad guys use no sighting devices except there eyes it can be done with a wheelie bow, I have just never heard of it. I read in Traditional bowhunter about a guy who bent his pins and shot a bear instinctivley(sp) the same night. Any experinces?

Bow Walker
03-13-2007, 09:31 AM
I've seen "bare bow" compounds. It is done by a very few - and done accurately, with enough practice. That's the key - practice.

Shooting bare compound will give you a couple of benefits right off the get-go.

First, you can take advantage of the bow's letoff and hold longer - waiting for the animal to present itself. Also you can shoot a much higher poundage than traditional shooters would be comfortable with.

Second, you can also shoot with a mechanical release if you want to - thus imparting less fishtailing or porpoising in the arrow, not to mention that the release is directly inline with the nock which will give you much more level nock travel - increasing accuracy.

J_T
03-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Well, I just had to yank this from a post on the other side in bowhunting. Thanks to Tuffcity for finding this. This video says it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2XE5MKq1iM

tailgate77
03-16-2007, 07:10 AM
That guy is one hell of a shot. Something about those traditional bows that I just love. I am gonna get one someday.

willyqbc
03-16-2007, 07:53 AM
there is a fellow I know on the 3D circuit who used to shoot a compound barebow...no release, no sights. He routinely put up scores to rival those with pins and releases, truly a great shooter.

Chris

jessbennett
03-16-2007, 09:36 PM
mr mobbs by chance shris???

willyqbc
03-18-2007, 10:40 PM
but of course!! on more than one occasion when I was feeling froggy about a good round or two, a quick look at his scores would put me in my place!!:lol:

Chris

ianwuzhere
03-18-2007, 11:01 PM
I shot this mule deer without any sights:

troutseeker
03-24-2007, 09:38 PM
In 1985 till 2000 I used to shoot a compound without sights and releasing with a fingertab. Believe it or not I was very good with it and my first dozen deer were taken that way. I used to shoot a lot tough, and that's the secret. I was real good a judging range and knew what my bow could do.

Like a fool I bought a new faster bow and started using sights. Yep, I was pretty good too and shot deer up to 55 yards with them sights and fingers. Now I shoot sights and release although the release is getting off the bow this week, I just can't stand the damn thing when hunting!

Edited to add without peep too, that is coming off the bow as well, darned crazy invention...

Troutseeker

yote
03-28-2007, 03:04 PM
I shoot my compound with sights but without a peep. With the kisser button, I find that with a lot of practice I can shoot quite well. Having no peep allows me to shoot in low light conds when the animals really start to move. I will never go back.

pupper
03-28-2007, 09:43 PM
I am curious to why anyone would want to shoot a compound bare bones?

If you want to be more traditional, just shoot a recurve!!

Sideofabarn
03-28-2007, 10:29 PM
I agree, I seem to shoot a little worse with a peep. Never have another one on a bow

troutseeker
03-30-2007, 01:57 AM
I am curious to why anyone would want to shoot a compound bare bones?

If you want to be more traditional, just shoot a recurve!!
If you practice enought and have "The Gift" they make a flatter shooting rig. Compounds are just bows after all, the sight and all are not a must have. The sights and peeps simply make to easier to hit a target a little farther with the least practice... Plus I've seen sights on recurves!

Troutseeker

austrian archer
04-06-2007, 10:30 AM
I shoot a compound without sights as well.I also shoot a recurve so switching between the two is easier.Like the man said, all it takes is practise.