PDA

View Full Version : bar-b-que sauce

leftcoast
11-10-2004, 07:26 AM
I picked this one up recently from a guy down in Arizona who has one of them big pit barbee's on a trailer. We made some. We replaced the sorghum mollases with cooking molasses because we don't got no sorghum molasses in this town.

This stuff is really good. It will be in the fridge at all times.

Basic Red BBQ Sauce

1 pint ketchup
1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar (or red)
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons sorghum molasses
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons dijon mustard

Without a doubt, the red or tomato-based barbecue is the most popular. It can be made with most any tomato product (ketchup, tomatoes, puree, or paste). Then vinegar or citrus is added for tartness. After that, sweetness, heat, and spices are added, depending on preference.

There are a couple of things to remember when making this sauce. You want to cook the sauce for about 30 minutes to eliminate any raw tomato taste. This includes ketchup. Cooking will also help dissolve and blend any sweteners you add.

If you use any alcohol in the sauce, reduce it by at least half by cooking it over medium-hing heat. You only want the flavor. Uncooked alcohol will become too strong as it sits.

Make sure you make this sauce at least a day ahead so that all the flavors have time to mellow and meld together.

=keith=

MB_Boy
11-10-2004, 09:30 AM
Thanks LeftCoast.....I have been looking for a good BBQ sauce for years. Not a fan of Bullseye, Kraft etc. I used to buy Lea & Perrins BBQ Sauce (best I have ever tried) but just can't find it anymore. May make up a batch of this over the weekend to try for Saturday's moose burgers.

Thanks!

leftcoast
11-12-2004, 06:46 PM
MB_Boy, I hope you like it. I used to like that Lea & Perrins also. I keep going to the liquidation world and buying all their cheap sauces and some are okay but this one has some talent. Had it in Baked Beans last night.

Let me know how you like it. We are gonna try some blackstrap molasses in the next batch of it.

=keith=