PDA

View Full Version : I'm trying to think of ways to cook up Deer steak

.30 Rem Shooter
03-07-2007, 11:58 PM
So far I've been doing the tried and true method of throwing them on the bbq, adding some spices, and adding some sause. The other week I chicken fried some and they were beyond good. I am more of a baker than a cook but I want to find out what else is good since getting fat on cookies and muffins isn't a good thing. But yeah, how does everyone else do up their steaks?

CHilko21
03-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Why don't you look at all the recipes in this section there buddy. There's always my molasses marinade type stuff with the bread crumbs and the pan frying.....mmmm mmm good.

.30 Rem Shooter
03-08-2007, 12:09 AM
Why don't you look in the wild game recipes section there buddy.

because, Amanda, I didn't want to.

CHilko21
03-08-2007, 12:30 AM

LOL Why don't you just go get your teen burgers and forget about messing about with new ways to cook steak?

frenchbar
03-08-2007, 07:04 AM
I like to broil my deer chops up for about 30 min then throw a couple cans of cream of mushroom soup over top,let them simmer for 20 min ,serve with some rice.good stuff.

mark
03-08-2007, 07:37 AM
I like to broil my deer chops up for about 30 min then throw a couple cans of cream of mushroom soup over top,let them simmer for 20 min ,serve with some rice.good stuff.

I second this! Exactly what i was going to say! :lol: :lol:

mapguy
03-08-2007, 07:42 AM
green and red peppers onions mushrooms and little baby steaks
a couple eggs and hashbrowns

model88
03-08-2007, 07:50 AM
My fav is to have my butcher run some through his cutlet machine, soak them in some milk for an hour.Dip them in a beaten egg then coat them in a seasoned bread crumb mixture then fry in some olive oil.

kishman
03-08-2007, 11:37 AM
I just had the last of the cutlettes from last years Doe. I just marinate them in a little bit of Olive oil, red wine, garlic, salt, Rosemary, Parsley and a bit of Montreal steak spice. Very good on the Bbq8-) .

GoatGuy
03-08-2007, 11:43 AM
The last time I checked we had a full time moderator who cooked in his spare time away from the computer. :)

I'd imagine he'd have some half decent recipes.

Gatehouse where are you??????????????????????????????????

Mulie_Hunter
03-08-2007, 12:07 PM

I like this guys attitude :cool:

Gateholio
03-08-2007, 12:07 PM
The last time I checked we had a full time moderator who cooked in his spare time away from the computer. :)

I'd imagine he'd have some half decent recipes.

Gatehouse where are you??????????????????????????????????

Hmmm...I usually don't post on recipe threads much because I dont' really follow exact recipes except when baking, or doing something for one of the restaurants:lol:

But for deer steaks- as in nice tender steaks, not shoulder pot roasts or anything...I liek to make a simple marinade of whatever suits my fancy that day. Usually some olive oil, some lemon juice or vinegar, some garlic, chilis, -whatever. SOmetimes cumin or paprkia. Then I grill them medium rare and serve with some sort of compound butter.

I'll also grill them and serve them wiht a red wine and shallot reduction, or pan fry until medium rare, set aside to rest, add chooped shallot and mushrooms, (chantrelles work great) add some demi glace and cream, reduce and you have a nice mushroom sauce.

Sometimes I'll just serve them wiht BBQ sauce, either homemade or Cattlemans.

Venison steaks wiht a curry sauce is good, too, but generlaly when I make curries I am using a otugher piece of meat and braising it.

MB_Boy
03-08-2007, 12:36 PM
Hmmm...I usually don't post on recipe threads much because I dont' really follow exact recipes except when baking, or doing something for one of the restaurants:lol:

But for deer steaks- as in nice tender steaks, not shoulder pot roasts or anything...I liek to make a simple marinade of whatever suits my fancy that day. Usually some olive oil, some lemon juice or vinegar, some garlic, chilis, -whatever. SOmetimes cumin or paprkia. Then I grill them medium rare and serve with some sort of compound butter.

I'll also grill them and serve them wiht a red wine and shallot reduction, or pan fry until medium rare, set aside to rest, add chooped shallot and mushrooms, (chantrelles work great) add some demi glace and cream, reduce and you have a nice mushroom sauce.

Sometimes I'll just serve them wiht BBQ sauce, either homemade or Cattlemans.

Venison steaks wiht a curry sauce is good, too, but generlaly when I make curries I am using a otugher piece of meat and braising it.

I am yet to see any of these dishes on the menu at Dublin Gate?? They would get my ass out of Creekside and up to the Village in a heartbeat!!:biggrin:

Gateholio
03-08-2007, 12:42 PM
I am yet to see any of these dishes on the menu at Dublin Gate?? They would get my ass out of Creekside and up to the Village in a heartbeat!!:biggrin:

There is a reason I odn't put them on the menu...mostly to keep riff raff out.8-)

Mr. Dean
03-08-2007, 12:53 PM
No such thing as a bad deer steak. Play around a little.

ALL GOOOOOD!

mapguy
03-11-2007, 08:59 AM
mustard pepper on one side cranberry and bbq other side

CHilko21
03-11-2007, 08:26 PM
marinade them in a mixture of molasses, water and egg for about 45 minutes, coat them in bread crumbs, and pan-fry them.....mmm mmm good!

Rod
03-12-2007, 03:51 PM
I saw the cooking segment on Canada in the Rough a couple of weeks ago and tried the marinade he used it was AWSOME!! He might have elaborated a bit but this is the basic idea (I never follow a recipe to a T)

Mix a shot of wiskey and an equal amount of real maple syrup salt and pepper the meat and marinade for a few hours before cooking and baste it a couple of times with the marinade just before it's done. The roast I did was excellent and I don't see why it wouldn't be just as good with steak.

Rod

Gateholio
03-12-2007, 04:03 PM
I saw the cooking segment on Canada in the Rough a couple of weeks ago and tried the marinade he used it was AWSOME!! He might have elaborated a bit but this is the basic idea (I never follow a recipe to a T)

Mix a shot of wiskey and an equal amount of real maple syrup salt and pepper the meat and marinade for a few hours before cooking and baste it a couple of times with the marinade just before it's done. The roast I did was excellent and I don't see why it wouldn't be just as good with steak.

Rod

You have to be careful abotu using marinades and saces wiht sugar in it when grilling or coking wiht high heat.

The high heat can scorch the sugars, turning them past nice caramelization, and make it very, very bitter.

Nothing is nastier than burnt sugar...

If you use a marinade wiht suger when cooking a steak, keep the heat low.

elkguide
03-14-2007, 10:58 AM
simple marinade I always use.....can of beer, 2 oz of good brandy,splash in worcheshter sauce, a bit of vinager, some garlic ( fresh and crushed), montreal steak spice and olive oil. Add water to cover meat then let sit 24-36 hours. MMMMMMMMelts in your mouth.

wetcoaster
03-17-2007, 06:16 PM
simple marinade I always use.....can of beer, 2 oz of good brandy,splash in worcheshter sauce, a bit of vinager, some garlic ( fresh and crushed), montreal steak spice and olive oil. Add water to cover meat then let sit 24-36 hours. MMMMMMMMelts in your mouth.

I'll try this tomorrow sounds good to me! Thanks

wjh131
03-18-2007, 12:15 AM
Got this recipe from the field and stream website: http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/outdoorskills/cooking/article/0,13199,452897,00.html

Works with moose very well and beef. Although I'm not a fan of beef.

echo
03-18-2007, 02:42 PM
Can use the following 'recipe' with any type of meat -- for steak cut in palm sized pieces and brown. Season meat while browning (don't worry about cooking through) -- When all meat browned, set aside and add mushroom soup to pan -- mix to gather up bits from browning -- add sliced onions, garlic, celery, mushrooms if desired (we usually always put in lots of onion) -- put meat in a casserole dish, cover with mushroom soup mix (season soup mix too -- don't forget the fresh ground pepper) and mix gently to make sure all sides of meat are coated. Place in oven from 275 to 350 (depending how long you are going to cook it!) --can also do this in the slow cooker, in a cast iron dutch oven, in an electric fry pan --- the longer you cook this the more tender the meat is---remember to cook LOTS as you might want leftovers!! I've never found anyone who does not LOVE this! Great served with noodles, rice or mash potatoes! Is a great winter recipe! (oh hell, it's great anytime of year!) Enjoy! :D

cdub
03-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Just rub in some garlic and some montreal steak spice and sear them on a hot grill just long enough to grill mark them. Blue to rare and they have the best flavours and tender.

VanIsle
03-30-2007, 09:23 PM
One of my favorites is:

Cut the steaks really thick, that way you can get a good hard sear on both sides, and yet remain rare/med. rare.

Make a simple marinade out of red wine, crushed garlic and a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Marinate the steaks overnight.

An hour before grilling, take the steaks out of the marinade and dry thoroughly with paper towels. Leave them out of the fridge for at least an hour to reach room temperature.

Have your BBQ as hot as you can. Season the meat and grill until done to your likeness, hopefully not past med. rare. Just a minute before they are done, melt a couple slabs of blue cheese on them.

Serve with grilled vegetables, baked potato, garlic bread, and a nice bottle of Shiraz or Merlot.

Heaven. :tongue:

Pete

Brambles
03-31-2007, 05:03 PM
Mix up:

China lily soya sauce
Louisiana hot sauce
Sesame oil

Throw in your steaks and let em soak. Then BBQ.... MMMMMMM GOOD

Blktail
04-02-2007, 07:56 PM
One of my favorites is:

Cut the steaks really thick, that way you can get a good hard sear on both sides, and yet remain rare/med. rare.

Make a simple marinade out of red wine, crushed garlic and a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Marinate the steaks overnight.

An hour before grilling, take the steaks out of the marinade and dry thoroughly with paper towels. Leave them out of the fridge for at least an hour to reach room temperature.

Have your BBQ as hot as you can. Season the meat and grill until done to your likeness, hopefully not past med. rare. Just a minute before they are done, melt a couple slabs of blue cheese on them.

Serve with grilled vegetables, baked potato, garlic bread, and a nice bottle of Shiraz or Merlot.

Heaven. :tongue:

Pete

This sound awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can bet I will try this one !

Weatherby
11-14-2008, 12:31 PM
What is the best way to cook up deer chops? I have a whole bunch of these chops but I have no idea whats the best way to do em up to get all the good flavours, Any I deas?

behemoth
11-14-2008, 01:08 PM
I find deer chops one of the easiest and most delicious things to cook. Give the chops a light coating of olive oil, heavily sprinkle your favorite spices on it (montreal steak spice, or italian seasoning or WHY) and BBQ or Grill to Medium rare.
Tastes better than prime rib at the Keg everytime

nano
11-23-2008, 03:29 PM
beer + deer = good meal.

Glenny
11-23-2008, 03:49 PM
My fav is to have my butcher run some through his cutlet machine, soak them in some milk for an hour.Dip them in a beaten egg then coat them in a seasoned bread crumb mixture then fry in some olive oil.

Ok This sounds good. I will try this one. Mushroom gravy and capers would be nice on them too I bet. g

wetcoastwillie
11-23-2008, 03:52 PM

Venison steaks wiht a curry sauce is good.......

Oh yeah!

One of my favorites.

dougan
11-23-2008, 04:05 PM
go to canada in the ruff web site click recipies find deer in beer this is an awsome recipie and supper easy

dime
11-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Try this recipe for venison in a two minute gravy.
You will need the following ingredients:
Steaks
Salt and Pepper
Wine
Whipping cream
Butter
Salt and pepper lightly, while heating pan (not non stick) to medium heat. Pan must be nice and hot before you add the steaks.
Throw steaks in dry - no oil or fat.
Cook to your liking-medium rare in my house, remove from pan.
As you added no fat, there should be a lot of browned bits stuck to the pan. This is the good stuff.
Pour in about a half cup of wine, scrape up browned bits with a wooden spoon and boil on high heat until reduced until only a couple of tablespoons remain.
Pour in about a half cup of whipping cream, boil until gravy starts to thicken up (reduce until only a few tablespoons remain), and add salt to taste.
Remove from heat, add a tablespoon of butter or so and stir until smooth.
Pour over steaks/potatoes.

brotherjack
11-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Take some "medalion steaks" (fairly small, thick, and round) about the thickness of a strip of bacon (tenderloins are a great source for these).

Wrap the bacon around them, using a toothpick to keep the bacon from falling off.

Toss on the cast-iron with the stove set at approx medium-high.

Season to suit with equal parts salt, pepper, and garlic salt (we keep some of this stuff pre-mixed in a shaker - works great on most meats).

Cook to suit (I like my steaks rare, myself - meat tastes best when you cook it less!).

For a fast side dish for the above, grab a can of corn, drain the water, and toss it in the cast iron as soon as the steaks come off. Sprinkle lightly with your favorite seasonings while it fries up in the steak drippings/bacon grease for about 2 minutes.

Enjoy.

308Lover
11-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Try this for awesome gravy and tender meat:

Fry some very thin steaks(boneless) in a generous amount of bacon drippings (NOT BACON!)

Remove from pan when cooked--take it slow!

Add a cupfull of diced onions to the pan, and stir gently until tender--

Next shake up a cup of cold water with 2tbsps of flour in it.

add the cold water to a very hot pan and whisk madly---add more water if it's too thick.

Use a bit of Beef in a mug to darken gravy---then slide the steaks back into the pan. Simmer for two beers worth.

Best gravy/steak on earth.

weatherby_man
11-25-2008, 01:01 PM
I had a steak night before last from our doe and it was literally one of the best steaks I have had anywhere. Very tender, very mild and just delicious. No marinade or seasoning was used because I just wanted to see what it would be like unseasoned.

Lots of good ideas here to try though, thanks guys.

betteroffishing
11-25-2008, 03:26 PM
[quote=VanIsle;137704]

the most important and commonly overlooked step weather roasting or grilling, not exactly food safe but the results are dramatically better.

betteroffishing
11-25-2008, 03:28 PM
try grilling to very rare searing both sides, then top with a tbsp of red pepper jelly and a tsp of nice blue cheese and broil on the low rack of oven till the top is nice and messy, delish.

MIL720
11-25-2008, 03:43 PM
wrap them in BACON then chuck em on tin foil on the BBQ.

Ubertuber
11-25-2008, 04:29 PM
the most important and commonly overlooked step weather roasting or grilling, not exactly food safe but the results are dramatically better.I have to agree. When I was going to school, I worked in a relatively decent restaurant that was well known for serving great steaks. The chefs there told me that tempering the steak was one of the most important things to do before cooking. The next most important thing to do besides not overcook your steak is to let it rest after cooking.

There are some good ideas here for doing up a steak, I'll have to give some a try.
That said, I've tried the mushroom soup trick years ago, but boiling my steak in soup just doesn't cut it for me.:sad: :-? :mrgreen:

brotherjack
11-25-2008, 05:39 PM
try grilling to very rare searing both sides, then top with a tbsp of red pepper jelly and a tsp of nice blue cheese and broil on the low rack of oven till the top is nice and messy, delish.

Ohhh.... this, I will be trying RSN (real-soon-now). :)