PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday in the Pitt

BowsUp
03-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Out this morning for our last kick at the can. Glorious misty morning to start before turning into that heavy, wind-driven rain we all love.

Surprising amount of geese just this side of the cran/blueberry fields at first light. Couple of good flocks got up but stayed out of range. Two birds I should have had, I only saw the north end of as they flew south.

My excuse for that blunder is that I was feeding my Lab a biscuit. Nary a shot fired.

Good luck to all on Saturday.

Dano
03-07-2007, 08:31 PM
There was a nice flock that flew out early (but high and over from us), a couple pairs too far over too. Mid-morning a pair flew over our buddy Jim who was about 100 yards from us, he bagged one and put a hurt on the other.
A pair came at us shortly after and I was considering a long shot when we spotted another pair in behind them and heading more our way. We dropped them both and the one was probably the biggest of the year.
Maddy made both retrieves and even managed to carry one bird on land for a ways. When I held it up there was a surprise,... it had bling! It must be an old bird as part of the band is worn so bad it thinned out to the numbers.
Great way to head into the last day of the season, hope more of you guys head out and we all have a great wrap up to the season!
Dan
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/bling.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/bling1.JPG

MooseNuts
03-07-2007, 09:31 PM
We got out this morning here on the island. There wasn't much flying but the 2 that were died. It was our last trip this season, so it was a good end to a good season.
Jamie

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/resize1616.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=4617&size=big&cat=500)

johnes50
03-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Nice birds and looks like a good day on the Pitt.

I'm curious, what do you do with the bands? Do you send them in somewhere? Is there a reward or are they just souvenirs? John

zaconb
03-08-2007, 10:33 AM
Great report, pictures, and band , I'm so jealous :lol:

I'm curious, what do you do with the bands? Do you send them in somewhere? Is there a reward or are they just souvenirs? John

A little from column “A” and a little from column “B” you send in the information on the band, receive a nice certificate with all the banding information, and the band itself is yours to display as you wish. Some bands due pay off with a reward, I know several hunters back east who have cashed in with $100 bands on Blacks!

Dano
03-08-2007, 06:44 PM
The bands are often saved and displayed on duck call lanyards. Nice to have but now I just take a photo and get the information (phone it in and they send you a certificate), then I sell them on ebay. Guys collect them and the ones I had are long ago lost, I don't want the shine of a band on the lanyard so I may as well let the collectors enjoy them and pocket a few bucks for buying hunting equipment.
Most duck bands will sell for $40-$50, goose bands a little less. Some bands will sell for more depending on the series numbers and with some obscure ducks, they are worth a lot! There was a guy on this site who sold his bands from a bufflehead and a goldeneye on ebay for $200usd each! He also did well on a Gadwal band ($150usd, I think). I lost my Gadwal band, it had a blue billband with it too....doh!
Dan

Buck
04-10-2007, 01:17 AM
Hi Dano not sure if you remember me .My name is Dan Geiger we went to high school together.NIce lookin dog you have there i'm getting one myself German wirehaired i hunt the Pitt Occasionally perhaps i'll see you there sometime Cheers....

Dano
04-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Hi Danny,
I remember you. Last time I saw you , you were working at a printers...? We played some hockey too, juvenile I think.
Send me a PM.
Dan