PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lot of Grizzlies around?

Timbow
11-09-2004, 06:14 PM
I work in forestry around the Quesnel area and over the last couple of years there has been more sightings of Grizzlies than I can think of. In the current location I'm at, there are three comfirmed grizzlies still roaming the woods, especially the plantations. I have also noticed the moose population has increased over the years and just last week one of them killed an immature bull (likely wounded). I can understand why grizzlies are still out but I tell you it's nerve racking to see a set af tracks larger than a size 20 Sorel boot close to work, especially working in the field and I do pack a defender shotgun.

If anyone has a LEH moose draw east of Quesnel, please be safe.

todbartell
11-10-2004, 03:12 AM
I am terrified! :eek:

3kills
11-10-2004, 04:50 AM
size 20 sorels???!!! u got some big boots...lol just buggin ya...welcome to the site...i use to live in quesnel...

houndogger
11-10-2004, 06:48 AM
Can't be Grizzlys are endangered! :cool: :icon_frow ;)

leftcoast
11-10-2004, 07:20 AM
As soon as a politicians kid gets mauled by old Ephraim we will have a reversal in the endangered species ranking. Grizz and lion bioth have to know that man is the boss and unless one or two are shot now and then they think man is weak.

Grizz is smart, real smart but he gets bold when the balance is out of whack.

=keith=

Foxer
11-10-2004, 12:04 PM
Not only are they becoming more numerous, but a) they're spreading - they're very close to the lower mainland now for example. b) they're attacking more - and perhaps more disturbing is the recent trend in mother bears leading their cubs into the attack, obviously showing them how to hunt (humans in this case).

Bear attacks are up again this year - time was when you had to worry coming BACK to a kill, but that's it. Now there are more attacks at the time of the kill, while you've got your head down gutting. It's a good idea to keep your head moving or have someone keep guard while you gut. Hang your meat a little ways farther from the tent too.

bone-collector
11-10-2004, 01:56 PM
tent ??? yer the only bobo sleeping in a tent at our moose camp :lol:

Im packing a bullet proof airstream trailer out there 1 way or another :lol:

rrfred
11-10-2004, 07:14 PM
hi, on the rise in the okanagan too, hunts bears in the spring- more and more gotta check close cause the grizz are moving in, passed a few bears in the past 3 years that were too close to differentiate, the line between properly calling a huge blackie and grizz can get a little fuzzy under field conditions, increase in cougars too- saw one in the christian valley, broad daylight -season opener for deer, mid day, showing no fear...

check out gary sheltons books on bear encounters, a must read for any serious outdoorsman, I can honetly say after readin the books- having a better idea about what was going on with yogi was useful in a subsequent couple of encounters

firebird has it right fear begets respect, i hunt different now, had more than one close encounter of the yogi kind........ later rrfred

3kills
11-10-2004, 07:30 PM
tent ??? yer the only bobo sleeping in a tent at our moose camp :lol:

Im packing a bullet proof airstream trailer out there 1 way or another :lol:

no doubt i will sleep in my dam truck before i will sleep in a tent...