PDA

View Full Version : Rubber boots for hunting

brno375
03-06-2007, 02:33 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations? I will be using them for my G bear in Terrace in May (and I'm taking my Meindel's as well). I'm thinking of these: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0032808830641a&navCount=1&podId=0032808&parentId=cat280030&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20564-cat20570-cat280030&catalogCode=7IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat280030&hasJS=true

Wildman
03-06-2007, 02:41 PM
I have a pair of Browning Neoprene/Rubber coated boots very similar to the ones you are looking at........Love them.

TPK
03-06-2007, 02:51 PM
I bought a pair of cammo Kamik boots from Mark's WorkWear World (neoprene and thinsulate). They were about $150. Very comy and VERY warm, but no ankle support and they don't breath. I was always pulling out the inserts when they weren't in use to dry them. So, if you end up with these, get some extra inserts and swap them frequently.

Onesock
03-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Invest in some rubber bottom/leather top boots. SCHNEE'S BOOTS are the answer.

FullDraw
03-06-2007, 05:35 PM
I 2nd Schnee's they are great boots.

FullDraw

Jager
03-06-2007, 08:09 PM
How about a pair of rubber caulk boots? Not very quiet if you're on a gravelly river bottom (metal on rock) but you'll have great traction in the timber.

BCrams
03-06-2007, 08:20 PM
The Schnees (rubber bottoms / leather uppers) are a versatile investment that you can use beyond spring bear hunting and use them for fall hunts as well.

sealevel
03-06-2007, 08:49 PM
I have never had schnee`s but i have had a few pairs of rubber bottoms leather uppers . Someone would have to prove to me had that seam wouldn`t rub your ankle. Those orange Nokia boots calkad or not are very comfortable . They don`t look like they have any support but i have wore them falling on sidehills that would scare even a die hard sheep hunter.

Ian F.
03-06-2007, 09:15 PM
Nokia Retki's

I've used them since the late 80's, quite hard to find now as most would rather have the cheap green boots, but for my money hard to beat. Once broken in you can wear them all day long just like any other boot.

I prefer the felt lined version (removable) as it gives you some cushion and is warm, often too warm, but I like the cushion.

Very best,

Ian

Stone Sheep Steve
03-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Good timing for this topic as I will need a pair for my(our) grizz hunt as well.

I'll have to go check some Schnees8) . Weren't in the budget but what the hey!! Maybe I'll make monthly payments for my truck insurance:) .

SSS

boxhitch
03-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations? I will be using them for my G bear in Terrace in May (and I'm taking my Meindel's as well). I'm thinking of these: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0032808830641a&navCount=1&podId=0032808&parentId=cat280030&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20564-cat20570-cat280030&catalogCode=7IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat280030&hasJS=true
I looked at a pair similar to these, and found they had a very narrow throat, and for me, almost impossible to slide into, which would no doubt be harsh on the liner-material in no time.
I just bought a pair of lace-up Viking all-rubber boots to wear over top of my neoprene waders. 8-) Katzaz !! $50.00 Good lug sole, with holes to thread in spikes if wanted.
Now, if I could just stop the wader leaks ...........

Fisher-Dude
03-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Good timing for this topic as I will need a pair for my(our) grizz hunt as well.

I'll have to go check some Schnees8) . Weren't in the budget but what the hey!! Maybe I'll make monthly payments for my truck insurance:) .

SSS

You can wear yer slippers. That b'ar will be within winching distance of the quad. 8)

I don't have any rubber boot recommendations 'cause all the ones I used to wear sucked. :lol:

Stone Sheep Steve
03-07-2007, 07:09 PM
You can wear yer slippers. That b'ar will be within winching distance of the quad. 8)

No.....I don't think so...................:| ........not unless our winch cables are a few miles long:p .

SSS

Gunner
03-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Schnee's Sportsman boots are available at Fisher's Hardware in Vernon.They are the only store in Canada that sells them,and the price is cheaper than ordering them from Schnee's!((there is duty on boots and waders,to protect the shoe industry in Ont. & PQ.:mad: ).I'll be picking up a pair of the 13" Sportsmans next week! Gunner

Johnnybear
03-10-2007, 09:34 PM
Baffin makes a good rubber bottom leather upper boot. I wear a pair of mid height slip on style daily to work and around the yard, walking in the woods. I also wear a pair of Lacrosse Alpha Burly's full height neopene rubber style boot with aggressive tread for most of my hunting. I really like the slip on style no laces etc. rubber boots with a small amount of insulation for warmth. No creek or marsh's to worry about and they work great as a gator in the salal or other wet vegetation.

The best thing about them is their quiet.

Rubicon500
03-10-2007, 11:39 PM
I bought a pair of these guys for Spring Bear and Quading. Cant go wrong with them!! only 9.99 at Wally World

Johnnybear
03-13-2007, 08:56 PM
That must be the new Lady Bug Camo everyone is talking about:!: .

Mattimoose
04-09-2007, 05:52 PM
Nokia Retki's

I've used them since the late 80's, quite hard to find now as most would rather have the cheap green boots, but for my money hard to beat. Once broken in you can wear them all day long just like any other boot.

I prefer the felt lined version (removable) as it gives you some cushion and is warm, often too warm, but I like the cushion.

Very best,

Ian

X2 Minun Veli, x2 -I wear the Nokia Retki and have a second set of felts in my pack that double as a pillow. I also wear Nokia chainsaw boots as they have tonnes of ankle support and a kevlar toe that is warmer than steel.I wear them with insoles, and with Sokkets in summer. They have deadly gription too and can be outfitted with studs in Icy or slimy weather. I also have Finnish military-surplus skis that take the Retki toe and have fitted them with harnesses that slip-over the Retki's heel. The Finnish army uses the Retki or almost identical boot as they are light, and Finland is swampy or snowy or mossy everywhere and these boots rule those conditions where the chainsaw boots are good in more rocky terrain.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-12-2007, 01:37 PM
I picked up a pair of the 13" Schnee Pac bots from Fisher's a couple of weeks ago and, after a good 15hours of shed hunting over the weekend, can highly recommend those boots to anyone. We hit the steep stuff and there was absolutely no heel slip. The snow was 3' deep in places and absolutely no snow got in my boots as they lace up nice and tight.

Can't wait to try them out chasing g-bears!!

SSS