PDA

View Full Version : Brant 2, Ian 0 - Day 3 of the 07 B.C. Brant season, Hunt #2

Ian F.
03-03-2007, 08:13 PM
Today was a typical BC day for hunting, constant drizzle, but as always my hopes where up!

Decided to try the spot further out where I had seen birds working on Thursday.

The adjustments to the boat and blind seemed to allow things to go out and up a lot easier, but the water had a little more life to it then Thursday. Hopes are always high, that's just part of the game, but only ducks were moving for the first little while and the way the dekes were sitting was getting to me, I'm sure you understand...

So I un-hook and and motor over to rearrange things.... well of course it was a mess, took my over a 1/2 hr fighting the waves and an outgoing tide, oh and of course all the birds started movng while I was in the middle of resetting...but the great philosophical question of duck hunting did get asked... Would the birds have flown if I did not move the dekes, or was it moving the dekes that casued them to fly?

Back at anchor everything was much better, more branty, you know? well if you hunt you do...

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/ianrfeir-day2.jpg

Once again the bluebills worked the rig well and this guy stayed around for about 20 mins. Lots of oldsquaw today along with goldeneye's, buffies and one lone widgeon that was whistling his damn heart out!

Brant you ask? 2 did work the spread, about 100 yards out but never committed, so things where 200% better then thursday, but between the time, the tide and the white caps starting to roll it was time to head in and call her a day.

Tomorrow can only be better!

Very best,

Ian

Dano
03-03-2007, 09:32 PM
Good luck Ian. I'm taking a day off, I'm long overdue for a sleep in.
That misty rain and wind made the marsh uncomfortable, hope the Bay was not too bad until the whitecaps.
I think if you had left the decoys alone you would have had the birds come in and land!:lol: (at least that's how I always feel when that happens to me...).
Dan

Ian F.
03-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Ahh that is the question, and no one knows the answer, but we will all try to pretend we do!