PDA

View Full Version : Brant 1, Ian 0, Day 1 of the 07 Brant season

Ian F.
03-02-2007, 07:28 AM
The first 10 days in March, in one bay is the total extent of the Brant season in BC and I wanted to, as best I can take advantage of it! I'll have 4 days of the 10 I can get out and today was the opener and the first kick at the kitty!

Making the best of being a 1 car family the plan was to drop off Hannah at daycare, Sherrill at work and then I would head out and do the reverse at the end of the day.

Well, one thing about living in the lower mainland part of BC is the slightest bit of snow causes pandimonium of the proportion a full blizzard would create in other parts of Canada. Such is my luck that snow fell, and traffic was a mess to the point it shaved and hour and 1/2 off of the time I had. Oh well, this trip was the shake down, new boat, new rig, new spots.

Headed out with hopes of seeing birds and did a bit of touring first to try and find some rafted, but no luck. Mallards, pintails, and widgeons by the thousands though!

Set up in what looked as good as anywhere else and let the waiting begin!

I did see the brant in the distance and a few small flocks moving around, but nothing came my way.

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/ianrfeir-brantrig.jpg

The new rig looks good on the water and went out well! The new boat is nice to hunt from, but I need to seriously tweek my tempoary blind.

I did find out that if you set out a brant rig pintails and mallards really like to visit! Oh, and there seems also to be a strong attraction to drake bluebills as well! Season closed for ducks, but the idea of an open water shoot for puddlers next year has been born!

Saturday and Sunday are my next kicks at the kitty, hopefully the next report is of success!

Very best,

Ian

slyfox
03-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Good luck ian im thinking of going for a walk on sunday with the dogs to b bay see if there any around.

Dano
03-02-2007, 06:10 PM
My dad and his buddy spent many days out there back in the 70's and they never brought home a bird (his buddy did manage a few on solo hunts). You have to put in your time and unfortunately there isn't much time to figure it out with the short season.
Good luck, keep us posted!
Dan

kishman
03-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Good luck Ian.f, keep at 'er.