PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got an Alumacraft 1546 Tunnel boat?

Kudu
06-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Thinking of getting one for next season - I have been told that the only aluminium boat worth buying is a welded one - apparently riveted ones suck!

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/poofter_paddi/340dc555177de51b023047f304ebab85_zps7f24e6ac.jpg

Steeleco
06-22-2014, 03:20 PM
Are tunnel boats better suited to jets? Curious mind!

Dirty
06-22-2014, 04:27 PM
Are tunnel boats better suited to jets? Curious mind!
They make 2 different sized tunnels. The prop tunnels are significantly deeper. They are generally not interchangeable as prop tunnels cause cavitation with jets and jet tunnels are too shallow for props. A lot of guys in the southern us use prop tunnels especially in estuary areas with submerged sandbars.

r106
06-22-2014, 05:22 PM
tagged for interest

emerson
06-22-2014, 09:39 PM
I have a Crestliner 1860 with a 50 jet but no tunnel or "planing pods". I would go for both of them if you can in the beginning although I would have needed more power. Like already noted, that pic is a prop tunnel, a very different animal from a jet tunnel. I prefer the jet myself, but it depends on your planned use. Either way a forward center console levels out the boat a lot compared to a tiller. I was on a tight budget so got a compromise that works for me. Also, jet or prop, work very hard to control the weight of the whole package and get the most powerful, lightest motor you can afford. (jet loses 30% power over prop).

Kudu
06-22-2014, 10:27 PM
They make 2 different sized tunnels. The prop tunnels are significantly deeper. They are generally not interchangeable as prop tunnels cause cavitation with jets and jet tunnels are too shallow for props. A lot of guys in the southern us use prop tunnels especially in estuary areas with submerged sandbars.

Exactly - I like jets - but I don't like loosing 30% at the drive end of the deal - or the exaggerated fuel burn - so what's best compromise? Why not run a prop inside a purpose built tunnel - jacked up on a plate for skinny Stuff, or simply dropped down for crossing the bigger water or the Brine?

Centre consuls are great for sorting the trim and balances out, but the boat Im thinking about isn't configured for that option. This boat will have two functions - duck hunting first and fly fishing second - in both cases a low profile is most suitable - a flat - forward deck - for casting or a "plug in" a swivel seat allowing for a great shooting position.

I didn't want a flat bottomed Jon boat with all its shortcomings on a windy day (a V cuts through chop way better, but gives less stability) - best compromised with a "modified V" seems a great solution -

I'll find out next weekend

emerson
06-23-2014, 08:15 AM
If you aren't trying to run very shallow and would rather have a more pronounced v for better ride in the chop a jet doesn't make sense for you. There isn't a "do it all" boat out there.

Danny
07-24-2014, 02:46 PM
if you are going to hunt the marshes you wont want a jet. They're like a big vacumm and will plug up in no time !

Kudu
07-24-2014, 09:24 PM
if you are going to hunt the marshes you wont want a jet. They're like a big vacumm and will plug up in no time !

Jets don't work very well in marshes or the ocean!

Got my new boat - still doing a few small things to it - may throw some pods on the back to give it a little more lift (and to act as stairs for the dogs to get in and out on the water)

I've run it in two inches of water on the Harrison with no problems - gets 35mph with two up and couple of dogs.

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i460/poofter_paddi/450eb2905fc9885d39d6e1faf7d7bcee_zps9767af0c.jpg

xfactor
07-24-2014, 10:00 PM
Your pic didn't work for me...would love to see it!

Barracuda
07-24-2014, 10:32 PM
actually jets work very well in the oceon

r106
08-07-2014, 04:45 PM
Any more of an update on how your liking your new set up? How does the Mod V handle on a choppy lake?

Kudu
08-07-2014, 04:55 PM
Any more of an update on how your liking your new set up? How does the Mod V handle on a choppy lake?

I was on the Chuck today - the wind picked up, we just kept on mooching fish right into the cooler - would still be out there but Josh had to go work at 1pm.

The thing is - it's not a john boat so it cuts through the chop as any "v" would - only difference is I can run with my prop in 2" of water as I did up the Vedder canal a couple of weekends ago.

I'll be up around the Harrison this weekend (after sturgeon), let me know if you are in the area and I will gladly let you have a look at it if you are interested in a simmilar boat.

r106
08-07-2014, 05:00 PM
Do find it has a decent amount of room to fish out of? I'm thinking of getting a boat but I thinking something closer to a 70" beam for more room. And I'm not a small guy.

Really like the idea of the prop tunnel. I'm surprised other company's aren't doing it

Kudu
08-07-2014, 05:17 PM
Do find it has a decent amount of room to fish out of? I'm thinking of getting a boat but I thinking something closer to a 70" beam for more room. And I'm not a small guy.

Really like the idea of the prop tunnel. I'm surprised other company's aren't doing it

Anyone with a boat will tell you they wished they had more deck, more beam, more horsepower - it never ends.

When I baught my boat it needed to tick a number of boxes for me - especially on the modest budget I set for myself!

1) self launch (very important to me as I find myself fishing and hunting (waterfowling) alone at times both my sons work now!

2) sea worthy (I mean on the ocean and not only rivers and lakes) I love messing about in the ocean for crabs, prawn, fish, even ducks!

3) waterfowling must have enough room for a couple dozen deeks and even layout blinds (folded) if need be - not to mention two dogs!

4) Lastly but not least it needs carry a moose (cut up and deboned) if I choose to take it and not my RZR on my draw.

The Spank
01-26-2018, 02:06 PM
I have had a 2003 Triton 1546 DS with a 25 Merc and a 2017 Tracker Grizzly 1654 Sportsman MVX with 40 Merc. Both were all welded. I can’t give much of a report on the Grizzly as I only had 5 hours on it before trading it in on 19’ Targa with 150 Merc but the Triton had a god awful pile of hours and was one tough built boat!! It got used and used hard during hunting season. All welded is THE way to go IMO. I had a riveted Sylvan Big Jon prior to the Triton and after the first season had to rerivet the entire boat plus reattach the casting deck and repair the bow eye that pulled out of the hull.

fuzzybiscuit
01-26-2018, 07:51 PM
Bahahaha! I remember this thread...

Still not sure how any prop boat could go in two inches of water...?

deltawaterfowler
01-26-2018, 08:11 PM
I have had a 2003 Triton 1546 DS with a 25 Merc and a 2017 Tracker Grizzly 1654 Sportsman MVX with 40 Merc. Both were all welded. I can’t give much of a report on the Grizzly as I only had 5 hours on it before trading it in on 19’ Targa with 150 Merc but the Triton had a god awful pile of hours and was one tough built boat!! It got used and used hard during hunting season. All welded is THE way to go IMO. I had a riveted Sylvan Big Jon prior to the Triton and after the first season had to rerivet the entire boat plus reattach the casting deck and repair the bow eye that pulled out of the hull.

Hah! Zombie thread revival!

kyleklassen
01-26-2018, 08:29 PM

Better watch it ...they might kick you out of here for replying to this thread....Just a heads up....heard it from a friend.