PDA

View Full Version : Skagit

mr eagle
11-06-2004, 02:39 PM
some friends are taking me up tomorrow, they are newbies and so am I. Any advice on what type of area to look for?

MB_Boy
11-06-2004, 03:20 PM
What is it that you are looking for or after??? ;)

SC

Foxer
11-06-2004, 03:45 PM
I assume you're going after blacktails,

Some good advice would be A) - if it's raining - grab yer guns, cause they're gonna be out in the open more, B) - they're just starting to rutt, a little calling can produce results - but it's best if someone's positioned to watch over the caller's area, because they will approach the caller cautiously and someone in a better position can zap 'em before the caller sees 'em often. C) - get off the road, but get onto the trails if it's wet. D) - morning tomorrow will likely have better chances than evening - BE THERE. E) forget road hunting. F) It's still early - think higher rather than lower. If there's a trace of snow, you're likely in good shape, and G) - look for natural funnels, valley areas between two hills, etc etc. They will move thru there. If you haven't pre-scouted, you're doing it the hard way, but nonetheless expect to find them where the land naturally funnels them into an area.

mr eagle
11-06-2004, 06:14 PM
Thanks very much Foxer, hopefully a blacktail or two crosses our sights.

Foxer
11-06-2004, 07:15 PM
They ARE moving and just just just beginning to rutt - our friend Wilson smoked one this morning towards whistler. He came to the call and got jumped by the overwatch guy trying to sneak in. He was within 100 - 75 yards of Wilson, and the other guy took him wiht a 250 yard shot - that's how close they can get and you don't know they're there.

Stay safe and good luck!

Steeleco
11-06-2004, 09:15 PM
I'll be up there tomorrow with my son. If you see a white Tracker soft top. Flag me down, we can have a BS for a few. Let me know what your in, I'll keep an eye out.
Just drove past there in the dark on the way back from Merrit. PISSING down. make sure you have rain gear. your gonna get wet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3kills
11-08-2004, 06:16 AM
hey steeleco..did u hunt this area???where about and how did u make out???

Steeleco
11-08-2004, 05:46 PM
3kills, I took my son out there Sunday, saw a nice Black bear running between some houses at the bottom of the road. Saw a does in a cut block then a spike and does in farm field on the way out. Go figure. A good day non the less, teach him we can't bag one everytime.:roll::roll:

I tired to get into a spot I scouted in the spring but the snow was too deep and too sloppy, even for my v-bar chains. Some sections the road drops off for hundreds of feet, and I don't need to hunt that bad. Even walking was a little hairy. Next year!!!!

3kills
11-08-2004, 05:57 PM
where bout where u???