PDA

View Full Version : The bow hand grip

Bow Walker
02-25-2007, 02:43 PM
This article deals with an often misunderstood problem that affects all types of shooting, whether target or hunting. It's a simple thing but is almost always overlooked. Take a read....

The Ideal Grip

One of the most common problems for archers is torquing their bow. Torquing a bow can lead to many problems ranging from missed shots, bad tuning, and inconsistencies in form. Like most things in archery, consistency is everything in your grip.

To get a proper, consistent grip you want the bow to rest on the pad of your thumb, not in the groove of your hand. The pad of your thumb has fewer tendons and allows you to have your bow grip placed in the same position every time. Your hand should be as close to the shelf of your bow as comfort allows.

Ideally when shooting, your bow should be aligned vertically. With the grip on the pad of your thumb, your fingers should be curled naturally at approximately a 45-degree angle to the riser. Check the picture below. By not having your fingers wrapped around the bow, you are able to shoot without having your fingers jerking the bow after the release, sending the arrow off path.

If you find yourself grabbing for the bow after the shot, use a wrist-strap or finger-sling to prevent the bow from leaving your hand.

Here is a picture of how your grip should look. Notice that the hand is relaxed and how the finger tips naturally curl in front of the bow.

Finding the perfect hand position takes time. Experiment and follow these basic guidelines and you will be on your way to higher scores.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Hand-Grip.jpg

The 'Hummer'
02-25-2007, 07:08 PM
This article deals with an often misunderstood problem that affects all types of shooting, whether target or hunting. It's a simple thing but is almost always overlooked. Take a read....

The Ideal Grip

One of the most common problems for archers is torquing their bow. Torquing a bow can lead to many problems ranging from missed shots, bad tuning, and inconsistencies in form. Like most things in archery, consistency is everything in your grip.

To get a proper, consistent grip you want the bow to rest on the pad of your thumb, not in the groove of your hand. The pad of your thumb has fewer tendons and allows you to have your bow grip placed in the same position every time. Your hand should be as close to the shelf of your bow as comfort allows.

Ideally when shooting, your bow should be aligned vertically. With the grip on the pad of your thumb, your fingers should be curled naturally at approximately a 45-degree angle to the riser. Check the picture below. By not having your fingers wrapped around the bow, you are able to shoot without having your fingers jerking the bow after the release, sending the arrow off path.

If you find yourself grabbing for the bow after the shot, use a wrist-strap or finger-sling to prevent the bow from leaving your hand.

Here is a picture of how your grip should look. Notice that the hand is relaxed and how the finger tips naturally curl in front of the bow.

Finding the perfect hand position takes time. Experiment and follow these basic guidelines and you will be on your way to higher scores.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Hand-Grip.jpg
Good info. A quick question, what do you think of leaving the fingers out a little straighter and not touching at all? For target shooting, I'm using a Carter Insatable release and a wrist strap but it seems if I have my fingers close to the grip, I have a tendency to torque on the odd shot. Keeping my fingers away seems to eliminate that. My buddy that has a shop in Alberta got me started using a Carter Insatable release and when it feels good it's sweet but when it's bad it's really bad. Not much room for forgiveness.

willyqbc
02-25-2007, 08:28 PM
hummer, as long as your hand is relaxed it does not really matter if your fingers are curled or open. The tendency with completeley open fingers is to be tense with the fingers staright out. If yours are out but relaxed then your fine.

Chris

Bow Walker
02-25-2007, 10:01 PM
hummer, as long as your hand is relaxed it does not really matter if your fingers are curled or open. The tendency with completeley open fingers is to be tense with the fingers staright out. If yours are out but relaxed then your fine.

Chris
Sucked the words right outta my keyboard there Chris:eek:

Curled, straightened, limp - it doesn't matter. The key here is to have a relaxed bow hand. Make sure to use a wrist sling or a thumb/finger sling or even touch your index finger and thumb together (lightly) so as not to "grab" the bow as the shot is released.

I am finding this a difficult habit to control and break.

The 'Hummer'
02-25-2007, 10:05 PM
Thanks guy's. It 'seems' to be working but thought I'd best ask in an effort to minimize my bad habits. Thanks again.

willyqbc
02-25-2007, 10:10 PM
I am finding this a difficult habit to control and break.

A good way to break this habit is to curl your fingers in and lay them along side the grip. Best way to describe it is to make a fist then just open your thumb and settle into your grip keeping your fingers closed. Becasue your fingers are not in front of the riser at all you cannot grab at the bow when you release. Just don't squeeze the grip between your thumb and curled under fingers..keep it all relaxed

Chris

Bow Walker
02-25-2007, 10:26 PM
Chris - My imagination has taken the night off.........can you explain a bit more about gripping the bow?

Do you mean to just make a circle with your thumb and index finger around the bow grip, with the rest of the fingers held loosely out front?

willyqbc
02-25-2007, 11:05 PM
No.....hmmm how to explain this....I will try and get you a picture

Chris

willyqbc
02-26-2007, 08:43 AM
ok...sorry for the quality of the picture but you should be able to see what I mean....be sure you have a wrist sling or finger sling before you try this and be sure not to squeeze the grip between your thumb and index finger knuckle

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/grip2.jpg

Chris

Bow Walker
02-26-2007, 09:00 AM
We're not talking accuracy here are we Chris...more like blind bale (or 12yds max) shooting just to break the habit.

I see what you mean about the knuckles - and - it's like I had it pictured in the theatre of my mind. Thanks, I'll try it.

willyqbc
02-26-2007, 09:20 AM
We're not talking accuracy here are we Chris...more like blind bale (or 12yds max) shooting just to break the habit.

Yep, you got it. This is not a long term grip as the side pressure from your knuckle is not good for accuracy. As you say this is done to break the habit by getting the fingers behind the front of the riser so you cannot "grab" at the bow. You have to really try to concentrate on not squeezing the grip, just let it roll away at the shot.

Chris

sealevel
02-26-2007, 09:27 AM
I little trick to make sure you don`t grab your bow is take one of those double ended sharp toothpicks. Put the toothpick between your thumb and forefinger across in front of the riser . When you shoot if you grab the bow you it will hurt and maybe bleed. You will only poke yourself a couple times and there will be no more grabing the bow.

Bow Walker
02-26-2007, 09:30 AM
Vicious - but I like it. Positive reinforcement of proper technique! Sort of like the fish hook under your "package" with a line tied to your head in golf, eh?

The 'Hummer'
02-27-2007, 09:58 AM
I little trick to make sure you don`t grab your bow is take one of those double ended sharp toothpicks. Put the toothpick between your thumb and forefinger across in front of the riser . When you shoot if you grab the bow you it will hurt and maybe bleed. You will only poke yourself a couple times and there will be no more grabing the bow.
Never thought of a trick like that,:idea: but it sounds as though it would work. Sort of along the lines of 'no pain no gain'?:smile: I'll give it a try, thanks.