PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor passport program

davet
03-18-2014, 09:25 AM
I just got a letter in the mail about the BCWF Passport program. How many of you out there have done this and do you like the idea?

Thanks
Dave

Stresd
03-18-2014, 06:44 PM
If you'd like to give them another 30 bucks, go for it. :wink:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?89057-BCWF-outdoors-passport
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?62601-BCWF-Announces-Passport-Program&highlight=passport (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?62601-BCWF-Announces-Passport-Program&highlight=passport)
http://outdoorswithothmarvohringer.blogspot.ca/2012/05/bcwf-outdoor-passport-program-only.html

Opinionated Ol Phart
03-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Seems pretty cheap access fee to me...

300H&H
03-23-2014, 10:03 AM
I have done it but it never helped me with my LEH draw around Cranbrook.
Land owners were not happy with hunters going on to their land without permission so it was NO to everyone.
Maybe things have changed in the last 3 or 4 years.

Papa Sasquatch
03-23-2014, 10:26 AM
I see it more as a fundraising product for a worthwhile cause. Probably sells better then Minstrel banjo lessons!

biggyun68
03-28-2014, 10:52 AM
My experience:
You go through a set of training on how to approach and gain permission from private land owners including an introduction into what laws you need to know about:
You get template letters of permission to use:
You get millions of dollars in liability insurance:
You get the endorsement of the BCWF:
And a lot of the older guys who will mentor you ask if you have it:
$30 does not appear to unreasonable:

Just my two cents

biggyun68
07-05-2014, 11:18 AM
Hi folks:
I am replying to this thread again because as hunting season draws near we will be out scouting and may see what we want on private land.

I wrote and passed the outdoor passport program a year ago now and it has been a great asset to me: I have been invited on hunts I would not have been had I not had it, participated with other outdoor passport holders in gaining access to private land, and have a few pots on the fire with private land holders for future access to their land; who would not otherwise have discussed the topic.

I really encourage you to invest the small amount of money and time it takes to access this great program.

And I am not just plugging it because I am a BCWF region 2 Director

All the best in scouting this summer

charr
07-05-2014, 02:42 PM
I had for two season and so far its not helped.

Steeleco
07-05-2014, 02:54 PM
I contacted at length a few private land/lease holders in the area we like to hunt. Not one of them knew of the program, and not one of them would have said yes for any reason. One lady was good enough to explain to me why.

Too many people used some ailing family member or kids as an opener to get permission to access the land. Then when using the land the workers would often find it was a good ole boys camp. No kids and all able bodied hunters. The only people that hunt those lands are staff, and even that has it's limits.

So thanks to all the clowns that lied to get onto whichever piece of dirt to exploit the land owner, because those doors will remain shut for some time to come.

fowl language
07-05-2014, 08:48 PM
for all you nay sayers please continue on this line as this only opens more doors for me. if explained properly I would think you might have better success ,as this has been the case for me. please keep up the negative input for my sake....fowl

biggyun68
07-30-2014, 08:14 AM
Helped on a Coyote hunt in the LML this week-end: Owner gave access because of the insurnace the Outdoor Passport provides:
Going to the Island in August to help out on my Sister's farm with a rabbit cull; again the closer was that I have insurance for her too:

Just saying to all you guys who are wondering how to get access - it has helped with this nubbie!

fowl language
07-30-2014, 09:22 PM
biggy, your giving away our secrets again....fowl

biggyun68
09-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Hi Folks:

Hunting season is upon us and I wanted to bump this thread, and my apologies to Fowl:

I had the fortune to be able to hunt on three different properties so far since August that would not have happened with out having my outdoor passport.

The course was developed with land owners to ensure these important share holders in conservation have had their needs and requirements for safe access to their properties included in the certification.

I want to encourage you all to at least have a look at the program as it not only provides you with insurance coverage for yourself and the land owner, the course also covers important areas such as the trespass act and the motor vehicle act, occupiers liability act and more which are mentioned but not covered in your CORE certification.

jhausner
09-17-2014, 10:34 AM
I have not gotten the passport yet though I have pondered it off and on. My hunting group typically hunts exclusively crown land so have yet to really run into a situation where we would have needed private ownership permission. Where we do hunt though, I've discussed things with land owners in the Vanderhoof/Nechako area, and around Clinton. What I've found is that if you are dealing with cattle ranchers, they will almost always say no no matter what. They don't really care about insurance, they care about their cattle. In addition, many of those ranchers have friends and fellow ranchers who also hunt and they don't want you going onto their land and picking off the prized 4 or 5 point buck that they want in their own freezer.

I typically get far better feedback and response from land owners who own property that is purely recreational or they are in some sort of industry without livestock. Also like I said, if they don't hunt and/or don't have family or friends who hunt, you're more likely to get a yes regardless of the passport.

So while I see it as a good idea in concept, I think every person will get different results depending on purely where they tend to hunt.

Around the Neckacko valley near Vanderhoof fore example, you are most likely never going to get permission to hunt on the price grazing fields cattle or not because I've found most cattle ranchers in the area to be avid hunters and quite frankly stand-offish with "out of towners" or "big city folk." My buddy and I actually stopped at the fence of one cattle rancher who was at his gate. We hadn't even entered his property pulled up on the side thinking hey perfect opportunity to introduce ourselves. We got out of the truck, walked over, and he opened up the conversation with "what the **** do you want?"

We were like :-? wow hello to you too. When we got back to camp we were chatting with another local who owned the property next to where we were camping and he basically said flat out "the locals around here can be huge dicks and don't like anyone "not from around here" especially if they are young."

So that is just around that area. I've had a different experience in other parts of the Province with some locals being more than welcoming, and others trying to chase you away from their gates for even looking into their property. So a passport wouldn't help with any of those guys that just evidently hate people.

I think it would definitely help though with property owners on the fence or like I said, who own the property for recreational use or whose properties aren't actively covered in livestock.

That's why I've been on the fence with respect to getting it because the areas I hunt I just don't think I'd ever get a chance to use it.

Just my thoughts.

Oh and so far I've spoken to about 50-60 local ranchers in the areas I hunt off and on, and have yet to talk to one who knew about the program. So the BCWF is either doing a really crappy job of promoting the program, or they are missing all the areas I hunt in.

biggyun68
09-17-2014, 12:43 PM
Hi jhausner:
First thank-you for educating 50-60 farmers on the program.
Second - I have passed your concerns onto the BCWF executive.

fowl language
09-17-2014, 02:48 PM
here it is down and dirty. one of the founding members of the outdoor passport has had to step away from the bcwf to pursue a career in politics. so it then was passed on to our then vice president who tended a couple of meetings with the cattlemans associate and the grain growers association .he then got sick and succumb to cancer in february. since that time there has been no one to champion the cause .if I can find some assistance I will take it on, as I was originally involved in the start up. it has been poorly represented because of the above reasons. we need to advertise this through out the agriculture and cattle comunities. I have a call into the fed to see if there is any money for this .i hope there is as we need to be in touch with the land owners. for now I suggest you learn all about the passport and take time to explain it to the land owner .I have had good success with explaining it in detail to the land owner. in 2 instances I got permission from 2 farmers that did not grant permission to just anyone. take the time to explain it to them ,you might be surprized....dale

biggyun68
09-18-2014, 08:21 AM
You can count on me to help Dale:
I suggest we meet with Forestry and Mining folks as well.

Colin

fowl language
09-18-2014, 03:47 PM
good idea colin, I have also found out that the fruit growers association would also be another good idea.i will hopefully will be in touch with the bc. farmers institute as well....dale

zatoan
09-24-2014, 12:46 AM
Land owners were not happy with hunters going on to their land without permission so it was NO to everyone.

Foxton Gundogs
09-25-2014, 08:26 AM
It's up to you(and everyone) to change it. This is not the golden ticket, you must 'sell' it to landowners, take the time to explain the benefits. If they say no try again next year, it won't sell it's self and its not up to the Fed alone to get it out there and promote it. Just like your hunting license, you cant just pack it around in your wallet and expect it to produce. you have to put in the time and effort.

lone wolf
11-02-2015, 12:40 PM
Is there a paper copy or book for the program to study? I could bennefit from this , in education and a better ability in approaching private landowners . Thanx

Foxton Gundogs
11-03-2015, 09:54 AM
The info to pass the "test" is on line and in your common sense, its not a big deal to pass if you read the information provided and have some common sense and ethics.
http://www.bcwf.net/index.php/introduction/the-outdoor-passport