PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Rick Mayor

TPK
02-27-2014, 10:50 AM
We have lost a hell of good man. Rest in Peace Rick. My condolences to his family and many friends. Rick's most quoted saying was "We must be seen doing good things", a sentiment that we at the BCWF will carry forward in perpetuity.

The announcement of the passing of BCWF Vice President Rick Mayor has been added to the BCWF website:http://www.bcwf.net/index.php/new-items-sp-25573/news-releases (http://bcwf.thankyou4caring.org/page.redir?target=http://www.bcwf.net/index.php/new-items-sp-25573/news-releases&srcid=6455&srctid=1&erid=986431&trid=41a0c283-786d-4b1a-8672-976e5cf176f7) Please feel free to share and distribute the link or post it on your Club website as you see fit.If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Curtis Ketter at marketing@bcwf.bc.ca (marketing@bcwf.bc.ca) or call 604-882-9988 ext. 233 (Lower Mainland) / 1-888-881-2293 ext. 233 (rest of B.C.)

adriaticum
02-27-2014, 11:47 AM
OMG!
Rest in Peace and thanks for everything you have done!

One Shot
02-27-2014, 11:54 AM
My condolences to his families both immediate and the BCWF. May he rest in peace.............

xfactor
02-27-2014, 01:50 PM
Rest In Peace Rick! God Bless you and your family.

Jagermeister
02-27-2014, 02:07 PM
It's tough for us to lose an advocate, it's tougher for a family to lose a member.
Condolences to the Mayor Family.

Fisher-Dude
02-27-2014, 05:30 PM
Condolences to Rick's family.

I worked with Rick on some committee projects and he always gave of himself to the Federation. And, he was a great guy with a cool sense of humour.

We'll all miss him.

fowl language
02-27-2014, 11:32 PM
in losing rick we have lost a wealth of knowledge that gave most of the regional managers fits as he did not let them get away with anything and held their feet to the fire under policy. it is truly a sad day. for me, I lost a great hunting partner and during those slow times between flocks I lost a mentor. I learnt so much about stuff I had no idea about. that I felt privileged to be in his company .i only wished you all could have met him as he was truly a devoted man and a good person. I will save a spot for him in my blind always.....good bye buddy...dale

TPK
02-28-2014, 09:35 AM
Some more words in remembrance ....

RICK MAYOR – VICE PRESIDENT, BC WILDLIFE FEDERATION
February 11, 1956 – February 25, 2014

It is with profound sadness that we announce the passing of BCWF Vice President, Rick Mayor.

Rick’s brief but courageous battle with cancer came to an end on Feb. 25, 2014 at 9:20pm MST, with his wife Ila by his side. He was 58 years old.

Rick’s passion and exemplary commitment to the conservation of BC’s fish, wildlife & habitat through his many years of service to the BCWF is to be commended. Rick held the position of President, BCWF Region 7B from 2004 to 2006, and then became an elected Director of BCWF from 2007 to 2011. He was elected Vice President of the Federation in 2012, a position he has held since then.

In whatever capacity Rick held with the BCWF, he was always a persistent advocate of science-based wildlife management. He was also extremely dedicated to the Federation and his work with us, spending countless hours attending stakeholder meetings and diligently researching wildlife issues affecting both his region & the province and was very good at holding governments accountable to their policies. Rick also strongly believed in collaboration and proved in all facets of his work and life that collectively we can accomplish so much more than individually on our own.

Among other things, Rick was instrumental in supporting the efforts of the Peace Agricultural Zone’s Wildlife Management initiatives through BCWF’s Wildlife/Human Conflicts Committee and the Outdoor Passport Program. Furthermore, he played a key role in the establishment of the Wildlife Advisory Committee to the Treaty 8 negotiations, to ensure a balanced approach.

Rick also took a keen interest in the BCWF provincial office operations and provided invaluable support through his assistance at outreach events, participation in HR interview panels and providing occasional handyman service around the office. Rick’s support and mentorship of the Federation staff was outstanding. He would participate in occasional staff meetings to provide praise and encouragement, he lined up staff B-B-Q’s in the warehouse and even coordinated a day of shooting for staff at the Ridgedale Rod & Gun Club.

One of Rick’s favourite sayings was “it’s important to be seen to be doing good things” and Rick lived this mantra in all aspects of his life. Besides his passion for conservation, Rick was also a huge community supporter. Among other things, he helped organize his Club’s annual Clay Bird Charity Fundraiser for the Dawson Creek Hospital Foundation. Since its inception, the clay bird shoot has raised well over $60,000 to purchase much needed equipment for the local hospital. Rick was also instrumental in the success of the annual Dawson Creek Gun & Sportsmen’s Show. This year’s 37th annual event is the largest of its kind in the Peace Region and attracts outdoor enthusiasts from throughout BC and Alberta.

Whether through community or conservation, Rick’s legacy of leadership, dedication, generosity and collaboration has set a direction for us all to ensure a sustainable future for BC’s fish, wildlife and habitat. Our job is to ensure his legacy continues.

At the request of the family, there will be no service.

Cheryl Johnson
Director of Operations
BC Wildlife Federation
T 604-882-9988 ext. 230 | E operations@bcwf.bc.ca
C 778-686-2413
101-9706 188th Street
Surrey, BC V4N 3M2
TF 1-888-881-2293
www.bcwf.bc.ca (http://www.bcwf.bc.ca/)

Foxton Gundogs
02-28-2014, 10:40 AM
I , met Rick on a couple of occasions, he was a great guy with a wealth of knowledge and always a great story to tell. He will be missed very much.

GoatGuy
02-28-2014, 10:51 AM
Huge loss.

Always appreciate the time spent with people who put the resource first.

Bernie O
03-01-2014, 06:44 PM
A Great loss to all hunters ,I am proud to have known him
Condolences to his family

vip_ruger
03-01-2014, 09:19 PM
Sad to hear of this . Rick was a fun guy to be around always made u laugh anytime I seen him around . He loved the outdoors .great guy

biggyun68
03-02-2014, 11:45 AM
In the short time I got to be around him I learned a lot. My condolences to his family and to his hunting community family:

Terrier Blades
03-06-2014, 06:38 AM
Our condolences to his family and RIP, Rick
We'd like to thank him for the support he gave us as a new knife company and feel honored by the BCWF to have chosen the picture from the 2013 gun show in Dawson Creek when Rick visited our stand for their fare well news.
A huge loss the BC and the hunting community......

The Hermit
03-06-2014, 06:32 PM
Too young too soon. Condolences to Rick's family.

badgreenbird
03-18-2014, 09:10 PM
I am stunned. It seems like just a couple months ago I was talking to him at the range, and listening to him at a meeting. I hadn't realised his health problems were that serious. He was always such a nice, friendly, helpful guy... and a wealth of knowledge about wildlife and policy in this area. He really will be missed.