PDA

View Full Version : Hows your bow season going

Nails
10-31-2004, 07:16 PM
Well the season for archery has been open for about 2 months. I know some of the guys on the site have bagged some animals with bows. I have not bagged anything yet this season. I only hunt with my bow now. My hunting buddies say to me " you sure must like your bow, your always taking it for walks". well that has been my story so far this season. I have put on a few stalks, spooked a few from their beds and just gone on walks.

Well a group (Bochunk, Puppychow and a few others) of us visit Qnscowboys hunting lands next week for our annual ELP Buckoff ( bow only). I am looking forward to the Island hunt. It has always been good to me every year so far with my bow.

I have been wondering how you have been doing hunting with your bows? There has not been much action in bowhunting forum so I thought I would put this thread out.

willyqbc
11-01-2004, 04:40 PM
Well I opened the season with a spring bear, back in June. Followed that up with a nice meat deer on the archery opener in region 7 Sept 1st. Took a moose and another meat deer with the rifle, but I have saved one tag for the end of Nov and the archery season in december. There's a particular HUGE 3 point that I've been jousting with for the last 3 years......so far the score looks like 3 point - 14 .....me - 0! BUT this year he's going down!! so thats my year in a nutshell so far!

Chris

harv3589
11-01-2004, 06:41 PM
Mine has been good this year so far...managed to get a 185 gross mulie with my bow 2 weeks ago. Try for a whitetail during nov in the bow zone around Calgary.

Thunderstix
11-01-2004, 09:55 PM
Mine has been good this year so far...managed to get a 185 gross mulie with my bow 2 weeks ago. Try for a whitetail during nov in the bow zone around Calgary.

Very nice Mulie by the sounds of it.
I am going to try and stick a blacktail this weekend if the wind doesn't stop us from getting to our "secret" island.

Blacktail
11-02-2004, 11:12 AM
I was visiting my son in late august in Port Hardy to do some fishing and when we got bored of catching all those 30 pounders we went out opening day of bow season and nailed a nice little spike meat buck.
Locally here I picked up a nice wide heavy fork a couple weeks ago.

Blacktail
11-02-2004, 11:17 AM
Hey Nails ,where abouts do you go for your hunt with the guys on the Island?
Hopefully see you at the Malahat Turkey shoot

Nails
11-04-2004, 12:23 AM
Hi Blacktail, it is good to here from you, we need some more archers on the site. Congrats on your deer, you can never see the bottom of your freezer eh. We hunt the south end in the the small wood lots, ideal for the bow. I am hoping to make the shoot if I can get off work.
Willy and Harv congrats on bagging your deer. I put a nice stalk on a fork today but got busted. Those arbutus leaves were dry enough to crunch after all the rain we got on monday. It was still a blast.

J_T
11-10-2004, 10:42 PM
Hi all,

Had a great start to the archery only season in the East Kootenay. Had my boys out for their first extended archery elk hunt. Had a 5 pt in broadside at 20 yards opening day (yes, why didn't I shoot.....??), lots of whities, ate grouse and rabbit. No bears, lots of ungulates. The boys had a great time.

Looking forward to the late bow only season for whitetail in Region 8.

JT

Blactail,

Good to see you posting.

JT

Kirby
11-13-2004, 08:29 AM
Lots of excitement, managed to get with in range of some very nice 160-165 class bucks, but due to other hunters, swirling winds, unseen bucks, yada yada yada only tagged with the rifle so far, but going out tomorrow to chase some rutting mulies with the bow.

Kirby

Thunderstix
11-13-2004, 09:39 AM
I wimped out on Remembrance Day and used my rifle....nice little 2x3 Columbian.

bochunk2000
11-13-2004, 08:06 PM
I have 2 blacktail bucks with my bow this year. Both were spikes but both are soooooo tender. mmmmm

Nails
11-14-2004, 12:08 AM
We got back from Quadra Is. We had a great time, Bochunck got the only buck. PuppyChow was all lined up on a nice big buck when he headed off following his doe. I had shot at two bucks, two complete misses. QnsCowboy and myself past by the largest buck heading to our hunting area, of coarse it was in a protected area (front yard). Puppy's buck was the only buck that we saw that was with a doe. That was in our last hour of the hunt. It was bad timing this year with the rut being off, last year it was in high gear during the same dates.

There still is that 3 pt. buck I have my sights on, that I can chase around near home.

Blacktail
11-14-2004, 02:33 AM
Glad you had a good time Todd

Canuck2
11-18-2004, 07:15 PM
It's good to see some bow hunters who aren't scattered all across the continent, and whose hunting areas I can actually picture in my mind. :biggrin:

I got off to a slow start this year, missing the opener for the first time in living memory. It conflicted with the B.C. Seniors Games (archery, of course). But I got serious once the bucks started looking a little like they wanted the rut to get going.

On Nov 7, I got a 4 pt whitetail. He was 22 yards away broadside and when he looked away from me, I managed to draw on him. Arrow went right through and he trotted off only 45 yards and expired.

As soon as I figure the picture thing here, I'll post one.

Nails
11-18-2004, 07:53 PM
Hey Canuck, congrats on your buck. How is you area for bowhunting whitetails. Would it be worth planning a trip there for next year.

leftcoast
11-19-2004, 08:07 AM
Well I managed to put an arrow through a bear back in September but it was my buddies bear. Haven't had the bow out for deer yet. Only have 2 arrows left. I know, one is all i need but it is a comfort thing. Need to make some more points but just can't seem to find the time.

=keith=

Canuck2
11-19-2004, 09:18 AM
OK, here's my buck from this season.

Nails, the whitetail population throughout the area, from Rock Creek to Castlegar (and outside those areas too) is decent. Not like it was in the early 90's, but not bad. I've seen a few bucks this year but like I say, I haven't been out big time like I have most years. Every year there is a big influx of archers for the late archery season and they put up camps the size of small cities. They have some success and a great time. Usually there's snow by then and that makes it more interesting as it becomes easier to see the deer - even though that may be from 2 or 300 yards. Bowhunting is definitely a challenge. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/Canuck2/IMGP0704.jpg

Nails
11-25-2004, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the info Canuck, What kind of bow are you shooting, it looks pretty nice?

willyqbc
11-26-2004, 09:55 AM
Hey Canuck!! Nice to see you've found the best little website on the net, Welcome!!! Good buck you got there, congrats!

PS - Nails, don't tell him his bow is nice.....it's one of those evil bows from the dark side....AKA Hoyt!!!! Oh, and please don't tell my wife I said that cause she shoots one too!!! hehehehe!!!

Chris

Canuck2
11-26-2004, 05:32 PM
*lol* Nails, as Chris said, the bow is a Hoyt - Razortec to be exact. Naturally I really love it and it gets used for both hunting and all manner of target shooting.

Chris, dark side, huh? I suppose you have one of those Mm mm mmmmmm mm m mmmmmm m m.... Dang, it just won't come out. Oh well, at least you got a smart wife. :mrgreen: :razz:

Oh heck, I'll fess up. I also have an FX and am pretty happy with it too. :oops:

willyqbc
11-26-2004, 07:53 PM
Nope, not a MMMmmmmmmm....... I'm a Bowtech guy, have a pro 40 and an Extreme VFT....SPEED KILLS!!hehehe!!! The good thing is that even though the wife has one of them bows from the darkside, she has a new Bowtech coming for 3D and hunting!"grin" You planning on making any forays up to this part of the country for the 3d's this year?? Some really good shoots up this way! Let me know if you're gonna make any shoots up here and I'll have a frosty one waiting for ya to drown your sorrows with!! LOL!

Chris

swamper
11-27-2004, 04:00 PM
Hi Jack
Nice to see you found us on HBC. That's a good looking buck. I guess you didn't make it out our way this year. Willyqbc and I had one heck of a good season so far. I have a good couple of good pictures I will try post. I lost your email address when I changed computers. Send me a PM with your email.
By the way guys, Canuck has a pretty good site himself. You should post a link so the guys here can see you pictures.
Chris H.

3kills
11-27-2004, 06:07 PM
there is canuck2's site...i have already been there a few times its an awesome site for sure!!!
hope u dont mind that i posted the link canuck..

http://www.angelfire.com/bc/canuck2/

Canuck2
11-27-2004, 08:34 PM
Oh dear, a Bowtech. I heard they're so fast, the arrow hits the deer before you even trip the release. :eek: Good stuff for sure; I almost went that way too. Guess we need one of each. As for my sorrows, I'm thinking it'll only be my thirst I'll need to drown. Either way, I will welcome the refreshment. I'm not sure if I'll get up that way this coming Spring, though I really want to. Too hard to string enough days off together. However, by the spring of 2006 I figure to be a lot more footloose and have definite plans to make it to a number of more northern shoots, Quesnel in particular.

Say, you went to the Merritt shoot this year, didn't you? Maybe I should plan for that one this spring; that should be within reach.

Chris H, I'm happy to be here. Thanks for the nice advertisement regarding my site. I'll send you a PM right away; dying to see the pictures you have.

3kills, I don't mind you posting it at all. I also have it listed in my profile, although I don't think many people look at the profiles too often. lmao at your signature line. :lol:

Nails
12-04-2004, 03:00 PM
Hoyt, BowTech what about MAAAttheews. I kind of like the Ovation, It fits into my shooting style (fingers) not that I have tried a Ovation but have but have tried different Mathews before. I can't say I have ever put my hand around a Bow Tech but who knows. Hey guys do you know when the 2day shoot at Merritt is. I went out yesterday, it was a good day for a walk and the squirrals were very busy. That was probaly my last day out for the 2004 hunting season. It was a fun year with alot of good memories and few animals. Good thing the other guys got some meat to share.

QnsCowboy
12-09-2004, 04:00 PM
This year was a classic example of not putting the time in and not getting the desired results....However, of note should be that I always allowed my partner to throw an arrow while I watched....Thank goodness for next year!!!

But like Nails said, good memories and good friends, more than makes up for it....

As well, I just realized, first year since I have been bowhunting, (5 years) that I didn't even throw an arrow, let alone fill my Tags.....That bites!!!!!!

Craig

Marc
12-09-2004, 06:01 PM
Well I've gotten some motivation to start flinging arrows again so hopefully by next fall I'll be practiced up enough to make it up for the annual bow hunt up on Quadra Island. :D

QnsCowboy
12-09-2004, 07:09 PM
Marc, you would be a welcome addition to the annual "ELP Buck Off"....and if you haven't seen this year's award winner, the competition is not that tough...Check out Bochunk2000's Trophy taker....Two zits on top of it's melon captured the illustious hardware this year.....

Craig

oldtimer
12-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Sounds like I am the samw as nails..only hunt with a bow now. Luckily I go out with my son ( willy ) so have 1/2 a moose in the freezer. 1 day left to get something !!!
Willy got close this afternoon 71 yards but no ethical shot presented itself. MAYBE TOMORROW. see lots of does but the buck has eluded me so far this year.TOMORROW !!

Nails
12-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Oldtimer Good Luck tomorrow, tomorrow is our last day hunting around here also, family commitments will keep me from getting out. Just one more day afield....... RATS..........................

QnsCowboy
12-09-2004, 11:41 PM
Oldtimer, the bow is the only way for both Nails and I, we still have our rifles, however, they haven't seen action in a long time....Chris said it in a different post..Get one animal with your bow and you are hooked.....

Craig

oldtimer
12-10-2004, 12:05 PM
welllllllllllllll willy and i went out this morning in a snowstorm figuring nothing would be out in this weather but because it was the last day we figured what the hell let's go. We were back in town by 10:30 and in that time saw 32 deer...ALL DOES !!!!!! and all out in the open..go figure. Had to come back early because my little blazer was pushing snow and still snowing hard, figured if we didn't want it in the bush all winter we better get the hell out.Like cowboy I never got to fling an arrow all season, all tags unfilled.but had a great timeand it is not that long till spring bear is it ?? Maybe next year but for now looking forward to the 3D season.Hope everyboddy's season was as entertaining as mine. Mike